“Charming!”

Walker Hotel Greenwich Village
Ranked #102 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I love the location of this quaint hotel. Food was excellent and service very kind and good. Beds were very comfortable and I loved the very fresh pillows. Turn down service was delightful and courteous. Everyone was very friendly for New York standard.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank junkqueen14
Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My mum and I stayed here in January 2014. What a terrible experience. My mum is a bit older (76) and I had treated her to trip to NYC and a few nights in what I thought was going to be a lovely hotel. What a disaster of a hotel stay. The first room we got was immediately opposite the lift doors so incredibly noisy. We were moved to another room - this one had stains on the bed covers and the bedside table was broken such that raw wood with splinters sticking out of it. When I called front desk the staff member replied: oh, that room is out of service, I cant imagine why someone put you in that room (!!!!). Third time lucky we hoped when moving to the next room. All seemed fine until we returned from dinner...we got back quite early as mum was very tired (930pm) and our room door was wide open. Shocked, we went inside to discover that the maid had been, turned down the beds, left a chocolate on the pillow and the left the door WIDE OPEN. We found it quite unbelievable. When I called reception I was given a non committal response with the desk person saying oh my really? I will inform the manager when I see them. We waited a few minutes expecting the manager to phone...nothing. I went down to the desk and was provided with the response: oh, no the managers not on, they'll be in tomorrow. Nothing further was offered in the way of an apology or compensation. The manner of the staff was quite unbelievable - this is not a cheap hotel and the attitude of the staff working there was just awful. Eventually the next day I got hold of the manager and we were reimbursed for one night and provided with breakfast. I thought this was very poor. I strongly recommend not to stay at this hotel if you are looking for a safe, secure and enjoyable place to visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Bourke_Street
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Walker Hotel Greenwich Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Bourke_Street,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we hope you will accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered. Receiving an out of service room and finding an open door are both unacceptable experiences and we have reviewed these incidents as well as hotel procedures with both our front desk and housekeeping teams. The safety of our guests is our first priority and we are very sorry that these experiences left you feeling unsafe. If you would like to discuss these issues directly, please feel free to contact me at any time at emao@geminihospitality.com. Once again, we apologize for these incidents and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

This is a small boutique hotel that was built a few years ago but designed to look "historic". It is very pretty with well appointed (though small) rooms, a charming lobby, and an excellent restaurant. Given that it is new, however, I was surprised that there were several issues with the condition of the room. The most significant was the lack of caulking around one if the windows, which made the room very, very cold (this was in early January on one of the coldest days of the year.) informed the staff about the temperature and was told it would be fixed but apparently not until after we checked out because nobody came to fix the window while we were in the hotel. If you are in search of a small boutique hotel I think there are better choices in NY (see my other reviews). I will say, though, that it had one of the most comfortable beds I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear etcarlton,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback about the temperature issue you experienced in your room. We regret that this was not resolved during your stay and we have reviewed this incident with our team members, to prevent similar incidents in the future. We are very glad to hear that our bed was one of the most comfortable you have ever stayed in, and we hope should you return to New York, you might give us another try.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stumbled upon the Jade Hotel when looking for a hotel close to my company's new office. I was intrigued enough both by the decor & the price to book a night, and I have now found my new go-to NYC hotel! The Jade Hotel is a gorgeous art deco boutique hotel nestled in a prime Greenwich location - close to just about everything, but secluded enough to afford privacy and much-needed peace & quiet. I stayed on the 4th floor facing the street & still had almost no noise - it was wonderful. And the staff! Every one I encountered was friendly, gracious, and went above & beyond to make sure my stay was enjoyable. Oh and the Brioche French Toast for breakfast was DELICIOUS! I can't say enough wonderful things about the Jade Hotel!

Room Tip: I booked the Grove Queen & actually got upgraded to the Deluxe. My room was on the street side...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Katie W,

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic stay at The Jade and that it is so convenient for business! We are glad you found our location central, yet quiet and that you felt so taken care of by our staff! We are honored to be your new favorite hotel in New York and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at the Jade for 4 nights and LOVED every minute of it. The entire staff was friendly and accommodating. (Especially Brian at the front desk and Justin in the lobby lounge). My room was small, but that is pretty standard in NYC. It was beautifully decorated and was exceptionally clean. The restroom was also spotless, had beautiful tiles, and the water pressure in the shower was awesome. I stayed on the 13th floor, and did not hear ANY noise from traffic. I'm in NYC a lot for work and that has never happened. They have a great happy hour every day during the week and the breakfast prices were completely affordable. You can not beat the location! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Alicia D,

Thank you for your review and all of your kind words! We are so thrilled to hear that you had an amazing stay at The Jade and that you enjoyed the design and comfort of your accommodations. Our staff is committed to providing the very best service and we are pleased that you found our team both friendly and helpful! We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in New York!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We came up to the city for a long weekend to visit family and stayed a night at The Jade Hotel. We had a lovely, yet quick one night stay at the hotel. From the moment we walked into the lobby, the wonderful staff and elegant interior welcomed us to the hotel. Like those of many other hotels, our room was small. What it lacked in size, the room on the 18th floor more than made up for it with decor and the most wonderful view of the Freedom Tower. We stopped in the bar for drinks and had a friendly bartender and great service. The ambience of the bar and restaurant was warm and cozy. We had a lovely weekend in the city with snow and festive holiday celebrations. Its a lovely boutique hotel located in the Village!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed from 5th to 7th July 2013. The location is brillaint, the atmosphere almost theatrical. It is a short walk to restaurants in Union Place, the Strand bookshop and Forbidden Planet on Broadway and live music venues in the Village (The Bitter End, Thompson St / Bleeker St). The hotel is a design classic in New York Deco and cocktail style - James Thurber and Dorothy Parker would not be out of place, though I suspect that much of this is restored or retrofitted. The staff could not have been more welcoming. The rooms are small but the radio was pre-tuned to public service broadcasting - while I was there they were broadcasting the complete Ulysses (Joyce, not Homer). Although the restaurant was excellent, better value and NY style could be had nearby - breakfast at the Grey Dog in university Place, lunch at The Human Kitchen, a 'fat Greek' burger at a diner round the corner.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as you can - quieter and better views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo