“Unique hotel with potential but problems currently exist”

Walker Hotel Greenwich Village
Ranked #103 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a cute and unique hotel in a fantastic area in New York. It has so much potential but I noticed too may issues in a short two night stay,

My biggest pet peeve is please hire an Operator to answer incoming calls. Do not leave the calls to Front Desk. On each of my visits to the Desk, I was interrupted multiple times from agents answering the phone. Not sure why they were not politely placed on hold but it was annoying.

My room was cute but very small. Nicely designed with minimum space. Bed was fantastic.

The shower layout was impossible not to get the bathroom floor soaking wet.

While I found the Front Desk nice, they seemed too distracted by the incoming phone calls.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Bourke L, Manager at Walker Hotel Greenwich Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear BulldogMatt,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that we were unable to give you the great experience we aim to provide. Since our opening two months ago, we have been listening to our guest's feedback and working toward improving our hotel and its service. We recently noticed that the large jump in the number of phone calls was negatively affecting our ability to provide the high levels of customer service we strive for and as such, we actually started looking for someone to assist us with this a few weeks ago. And while we are looking for the right person, we have started scheduling additional team members to assist.

We would love to have another chance to give you the experience you had hoped for. If you are planning to return to New York City, please contact me personally so that we can make this right for you.

Warm regards,

Bourke Lee
Assistant General Manager
blee@theJadeNYC.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location in the west village. A hotel with a lobby you can actually sit in and relax. Great staff. People who seem to actually care and are friendly. Art at the restaurant a couple of times and it was very good. Caught a Jazz band playing there on a tuesday. I did not expect much. They were excellent. I hear this is going to be an every tuesday nght gig there. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, catch the band. I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a handicap access bathroom. Better shower bigger room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is fantastic!
From the second you hit the door great people like Keron McDonald treat you like family. More than a welcome hello, he is incredibly helpful in explaining hotel amenities and the neighborhood. The GM, Bourke also is awesome. Small, boutique hotel in great location that is hip and clean.
My favorite NYC hotel.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a fabulous view of the Empire State Building from our room which was a plus to the huge minus of our very very tiny room!! The hotel is fairly new and there was a few teething problems, faulty lift causing huge tail backs and cramped lifts, so bad I got out and walk the 14 floors. We also paid cash for some bits in the restaurant and they were then charged again to the room. Lots of little problems but it is a very nice place in a great area so hopefully they will iron out the small things. I would stay again if I was guaranteed a bigger room, ours was just silly small, nowhere to put my case and hardly any hanging space!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I loved the atmosphere of this small hotel. It was like you were in the TV show Cheers. The staff was excellent and friendly. The bar is nice and can be somewhat happening. The only thing we wish we had was more space, but other than that, we loved it. Bathroom is lovely but had no place to put toiletries. Lighting is not great for makeup application. All that pales in comparison to the way we were treated while there.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed in Jade 6 nights.First of all-the bad thing from begining was bad start with the man from reception...I think that he could keep his personal opinion for himself and not share that with his attitude towards client..person who stayed with me was treated lovely but me i felt whole stay that there is something...Anyhow-the rest was fine.People from other parts like house keeping.room service and doormans were very pleasant and polite,always there for your comfort..Rooms were nice,lovely details but quite small..If you are stayimg for longer time you want so,ehow unpck t least little bit but there was no place for that,just very small wardrobe..But to be honest-it is very nice and charming hotel but small details make big things and in case that they are still very new they should learn quickly because they have great potentional but at the moment servis doesnt worth the price...And as i said-we were quite dissapointed how visible was that attitude of guy from reception...What a pitty because i would like to stay there once again-the rest of stuff just really make you feel like at home and treat you very nicely..
I wish to this hotel all the best and hope in future with better service we can again stay there:)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ivy999,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us although it disappoints me dearly to hear that you did not have the great experience we strive for. We agree with you that it is the little things that will make us great and that is why we are particularly embarrassed to hear that we dropped the ball at the beginning of your stay. I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me to share more details about your experience so that we may learn from it and improve. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Bourke Lee
Assistant General Manager
blee@theJadeNYC.com

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We booked this hotel as we had a blitz of press meetings. We had lots of product delivered here ahead and it was waiting for us when we arrived. The double double was perfect. Such a cool bathroom too. Very comfy beds and really quiet and restful. We asked staff to courier product to journalists and all kinds of requests over and above the norm they bent over backwards to help us. At the end of a long day the lobby is so relaxing and we ate in grape and vine which was delicious and listened to jazz with champagne. It was bustling and atmospheric. We felt like we were on holiday!! We will be returning here in Sept for our next visit stateside!!!! The interiors are amazing too

2  Thank clairerv