“Great hotel, outstanding stay”

Walker Hotel Greenwich Village
Ranked #103 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful lobby, outstanding room, great location. Loved the service and all the nice little touches everywhere. The classy decor includes many details. Only complaint: thin room doors so I could hear people in the hallway. But I did enjoy my stay. Price point won't stay for long so get in while you can! Will return!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank af847
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip, and really enjoyed my stay. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, cozy, and has a nice restaurant and lounge area. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DrinnonA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I made an account just so I could review this hotel so it’s my first review, it was also my first time in New York City so first times all around! I’m so happy I chose this hotel for our trip. It was the perfect location, the building, our room, and the view were beautiful, and we had such a quiet, relaxing stay. The staff were not only pleasant but took nice to a whole new level. Every staff member we came across greeted us warmly and asked if we needed anything.

I’ve read some of the other less than glowing reviews from individuals who stayed at the hotel around the same time and can’t for the life of me figure out how our experiences differ so much. I read one review that said the hotel was cold and yes, when we first arrived the room was freezing but a quick adjustment to the thermostat solved that problem. (I accidentally set it too high the first night and woke up sweltering but that was my fault) I saw no fingerprints on any of the fixtures and our room was always impeccably clean. The room we stayed in was by no means small but it was a corner room so perhaps that’s the difference. I could see on the fire escape map near the elevator that we had the largest room on the floor.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex R
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in room 1205. I got a corporate rate from my company's travel agency. The problem is, since I paid $179 + tax per night, I probably got the tiniest room and the desk & chair were a serious problem, especially if you have to work at night after a day of meetings. My chair was touching the side of the bed when I pushed it backwards to get up and I could barely get my legs out from under the desk. As you can see from the pics I posted, the front of the desk is built in a certain way to allow your thighs to go right inside the front of a wooden board with a round top and considering that I am skinny and of average height, I spent a considerable amount of trying to get out of the desk. I ended up sitting on my bed and doing all my computer work. Good thing the bed had lots of brand new comfy pillows.

Another annoying thing was I kept bumping my lower leg against the side legs of the beds. I even got purple bruises so after night #3, I found a solution by taking both cylinder pillows from the bed and putting them on the floor in front of the bed to avoid this from happening again. Problem solved.

There's no space to leave your luggage open, you must close it and use all the closets and drawer space offered. I even used the area in front of the window to put books since the desk is tiny.

During my night #2 to 5, I called downstairs to ask if it was possible to change to another room since I was staying for another 3 nights. Jenny from downstairs said she would call me back to let me know. Well, she never did and that's bad Customer service.

I also became creative and moved the white bench that was right under the TV and in front of the bed, to the left side of my bed or it would have been impossible to walk at all. The bench is super light, actually quite cheap.

I had a big cold and ordered hot water, lemon and honey almost every night. Hotel didn't charge me and I made sure to tip the waiter. However, the cup was missing from the order so I called downstairs and jenny answered the phone. She said she would send one up but nobody ever came up with the mug. I finally used the glass from the bathroom. These are tiny details that waste my time.

Also, the hotel's website says that there's a business center but when I called downstairs, I was told that it wasn't ready.

I checked out at 5 AM on Sun morning. At the front desk, I was given the total and so asked for a printout to read it first before having my card charged. Well, the girl there seemed reluctant and just showed me the computer screen by pointing the total. I asked her politely again that I would just like to read a hardcopy first if that's ok. Wow, she didn't smile one bit and showed her colleague (a much nicer gentleman who was new) how to print. If I were her boss, I would teach her some manner. She was probably the rudest person I encountered at the hotel.

I also heard the neighbors watching TV and talking next door, but they went to bed early luckily.

Only 2 elevators at this hotel and they can slow so be prepared to wait.

The Plus side:
Great location, near 14th St. subway and 1,2 & 3 line. lots of restaurants and Whole Foods nearby
Very friendly staff that greets you when you return everyday, always someone to open the doors for you
Great bathroom & products
Free bottled water
Lots of fluffy new towels
Bathrobe & slippers provided
Great products
High end Egyptian cotton bedsheets
Super comfy bed
Very clean (except the carpet wasn't well vacuumed)
Plush pillows
Turn down service
Wake-up call
No noise outside, facing another building which didn't bother me

I tipped the maid every day.

If you're thinking of staying here for business, get a much bigger room or you'll be 'stuck' behind the desk.

I didn't eat at the restaurant although it seemed popular at night.

This is a good value hotel but not sure I'll return. If you are on vacation, and don't mind the small size like in Europe, then go for it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lee_Toronto_528
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

i made an account just to review this hotel. as much as my hype for this new hotel was, the disappointmet was even bigger.

lovely decor of the entrance. the terrace door looking enteance door looks amazing. however, not so long after arriving at the hotel i was greeted by a young lady with an ipad that answered close to none of my questions, which of one being the swuare footage of the room, not even an estimated figure.

after waiting for about 40 minutes, i was given my room key. loved the fixtures again until i saw finger prints here and there. would have been understadable as they have glass counter glass shelf glass shower door... a lot of glass fixture but i was able to feel the cleaning maid's presence through her fingerprints on these glass items.

the hotel seems to be recovering from construction as the hallway air felt to be very dusty. dusts were well visible under hallway lights.

the hotel is VERY new and hip, but the expectation of the new hotel didnt live up to it. props to the amazing building though.

Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank akrhotelman
Philip C, General Manager at Walker Hotel Greenwich Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectation during our soft opening. I hope you provide us the opportunity to provide you the service and accomodation you can expect from The Jade Hotel Greenwich Village. I assure you that cleanliness and service are top priority and will improve based on your feeback. Please e-mail me at pcham@thejadenyc.com if you have plans to return to the area so that I can arrange this for you.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst and most uncomfortable hotel I have ever been. In order to have breakfast I had to put my jacket on!!! There is a cold wind running through the hotel. We complain twice but they choose to ignore us. I asked for the manager but he is still not here....
The waitress spills the coffee over us everytime she serves us coffee...and never apologies.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Sissiboe

I apologize for the issues you had to experience during breakfast at the restaurant. Because of your review we have made additional precautions to ensure we keep the area at a comfortable temperature at all times. We also continue to improve our service through training and hope you provide us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Please feel free to contact me at any time at pcham@thejadenyc.com.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We sent our parents there as a gift. They have stayed at some of the best hotels in NYC and many European cities -- they thought The Jade was outstanding. Frete bathrobes, sparkling room, friendly and courteous service, a wonderful breakfast and, of course, a world class location. They'll be back, and we want to thank the staff for giving them a great weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple