“Fabulous”

Comfort Inn Midtown West
Ranked #323 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was really concerned by some of the comments by other reviewers but I wonder what they expect from a hotel room with free breakfast in NYC! Yes the rooms are a little small but they were spotless and we didn't have an problem with the storage. Empty cases stored under the sink in the good size bathroom and moving the showerhead to a better position myself/moving the coffee maker to the desk proved to be a very easy solution (not sure whether other reviewers thought to this!)
The breakfast was fantastic, lots of choice and we never found it to run out. The breakfast area is small but a bit of courtesy from other diners by leaving the table when they have finished and there would be no issues with the amount of seating.
All of the staff were great, friendly and willing to help with any queries. The building work was noisy but luckily we were up by the time the work started.
Hell's Kitchen was a great place to stay, plenty of places to eat.
Planning on going back to this hotel

Room Tip: Try not to get the ground floor/lobby rooms as they will be very noisy due to the breakfast area
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bat-tat
Jsoto5128, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you so much for the amazing review. We pride ourselves on providing great service to our guests. As you mentioned in your review of breakfast, we have changed our strategy to help accommodate more guests during breakfast to make sure that every guest has an opportunity for a great meal. I truly appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel and would love to meet you face to face when you return to the property. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here primarily because our usual NYC hotel was sold out. The facility is brand new, so the bathroom, bed and TV were very nice. The staff was very pleasant. Unfortunately, that's about it for this hotel. There was no refrigerator in the room, no closets, no drawers, no place to unpack. There was so little furniture, they put the coffee maker was on the window sill. They do offer king size beds, which was nice for NYC. We're big Broadway fans, and this hotel is too far from the theater district to be an easy walk, so your transportation choices are the cross town bus or taxis, as there are no subway lines near this location. If you are visiting Hell's Kitchen, and don't need to venture too far from this location, I could recommend it, but if you're going to be out and about, I'd look for a more convenient location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elman1952
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a new hotel. Located convenient to the Intrepid Museum and also only a few blocks to Times Square. The hotel is very clean but everything is small, from the lobby to the rooms. Still very nice and with a decent breakfast provided. There was construction across the street which was very noisy. Don't get a room on the front side because of that.
We didn't complain about the noise which usually started at 7 am because we just didn't want to move to another room, but we probably should have. We mentioned the noise at check-out and we got an apology and an offer for extra Choice Privilege points, which I took. I felt fairly treated. Staff was nice the entire stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank railroadpro
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked this new Comfort Inn to spend a couple of nights in the city with friends. I was warmly greeted at checkin by a very sweet woman who welcomed me as a Choice Privileges member and I even got a welcome bag with water and snacks, something you don't see at a Comfort Inn.

I got to my room, which was well appointed but somewhat small. Staying in NYC, I expected this but it turned out to be a great room. Comfortable pillows and bed, nice size TV and the bathroom was nice as well. I saw the other reviews about the hotel size and all I can say is that they are being whiney babies. When you travel to NYC, your going to get a small room. If your traveling to NYC, your not there to spend all your time in a room.

Breakfast, contrary to some other reviews, was well stocked. The attendants were very nice and did their best to make sure everything was restocked quickly.

Overall, it was a great stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again (I already have my next stay booked).

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank manny22677
Juan S, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review. We are proud of the hotel and the service we provide. Yes, the rooms are small but I agree with your comments. When you travel to NYC, your not here to stay in a room all day. Your out seeing the sites and using the room to sleep. Thank you again for the review and I hope to see you on your next visit with us!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights using our Choice Reward Points...otherwise I will not stay here again.

I have stayed in small rooms before but this was ridiculous. The shower was set towards to corner of this extremely small stall so I moved it so I could get wet resulting in a flood in the bathroom. I was trying to shampoo my hair and either banged my elbow into the wall or hit the water control which left a huge bruise on my arm.

There is no storage at all. No closets or drawers. In a small room like this, the desk and window sill were the only surface to put your items.

The breakfast was always out and the bread for toast was stale. There is no coffee creamer...just milk that was out also.

The walls were so thin, we could hear people having private conversations in their rooms while waiting for the elevator.

Speaking of the elevator...there is one and only one in the hotel. It took forever to arrive.and when it did it was packed and there was no room.

The desk clerks were the most pleasant part of our stay. They were very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Kardazzy

Thank your for taking the time to review the hotel. In regards to the setup of the room, yes they are small but that is to be expected at almost any hotel in NYC. About the breakfast, I appreciate you letting us know what some of the challenges are so that we have an opportunity to fix them in the future. I always like to hear both the good and the bad, in order for us to continually strive to improve ourselves. Thank you again for taking the time for the review and have an amazing day!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked this Hotel as part of a Porter package (we had choices). We selected this hotel mainly for location and the fact it was fairly new. The front desk staff was friendly enough, but "i'm sorry' alone doesn't cut it when there are problems.
First of all the room are REALLY tiny. Even smaller than a cruise ship cabin. The shower is poorly designed and soaks the floor. All night long the elvator goes BOING BOING (they could perhaps lower the volume).The first day they ran out of one of the three cereals at breakfast, there were no napkins, they ran out of plates and coffee and the coffee was never replenished despite promises to do so. The next day we didn't even bother, and went out for breakfast.
Good points: They did allow early check in. (Not guaranteed). The rooms were clean (not much room for dirt! ) Beds wer excellent quality and sleep was good (except for elevator boings)
When we aired our valid complaints nicely to the manager, she was very apologetic, but that's all we got from anyone. Aplogies.
Next time we try a different hotel.. There are many in this same area,

Room Tip: Don;t chose a room at this hotel at all unless you really like tiny tiny tiny rooms, but if you do s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Answerman543

Thank you very much about the comments in regards to breakfast. We have heard you loud and clear. We have increased staffing at breakfast in order to make sure that items are replenished quickly and to make sure that we give the great level of service that all our guests deserve. Thank you again and have a great day!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel is newly opened, so there are problems that should get sorted out, others that are permanent. In summary, fair location, and not a bad hotel for a very short stay, if you get a good price. Would not recommend for over a two days stay.

I set out below in more details isuses that can be addressed, and start with issues that really can be fixed.

Permanent Issues:
The rooms are very small, and poorly laid out. I have been to Europe, and I am no stranger to small rooms, but these rooms have not been thought out. There are no dressers, no closets, no vanity in the bathroom. In a small room, it is important to have thought out storage, here this has been totally ignored. There is a shelving unit built around the TV, and that is it. Shelves are very narrow, and almost useless. There is a small desk, but only a 1 inch high drawer for the desk. The one end table in the room had only one drawer, small, and then legs. Why not put drawers all the way down to the floor?

The room I was in was supposed to be largest, since it was for a handicaped person, but the bench in the hallway would would have prevented any wheelchair from getting in.

Even though its new, the A/C unit was noisy. I closed it and opened the window instead. The noise of the traffic, and sirens was less irriating than the A/C unit. There was a lot of cigaret smoke, not sure if that was from the widow, or people smoking in their rooms. I was supposed to be a smoke free hotel.

There are very few electrical recepticals. I would expect this in an old hotel, but I was assured this place was new and not just remodelled.

Hollow thin doors assured that I heard every noise outside of my room, and when waiting for the elevator I could hear all my neighbours converastions in their room. I was woken up three nights by noise in the hallway. The fist night, I got out of bed thinking I had left the door open.

A small front desk, with only one person, for an 88 room Hotel, guarenties line ups, espcially at rush times.

There is only one elevator. No backup. Staff uses the elevator since there is no service elevator. In the am when people are heading down for breakfast or checking out, there are long waits. The elevator is often crowded in the am with cleaning staff with their carts, and bags of linen.

Things that may get fixed:

The building is dark at night, with no lights in front. I am told it was a wiring problem, but I was there a week, and this never got fixed.

The elevator broke down daily, and I was only there early am and later in evening, so no sure about the day.

At breakfast the coffee thermoses, both regular and decaf, were often empty. When there was coffee, you almost always ended up with coffee grounds. There was cream missing, and on two occassions no cups. They also failed to replace cups in the room.

There are only six tables for 88 rooms for breakfast. People eat stading up, or sat on a bench.

Cleaning staff keeps moving the coffeemaker and ice bucket onto the window ledge in the room, instead on leaving it on the small desk. There is no receptable on the ledge, so you can't make coffee there. With those items on the window ledge you can't close curtains, or easily open the window. Every day they moved the items back.

The rooms are still dusty from constructions, and smell of adhesives, paint.....

The one time I showed up for breakfast at start time, I discovered it took them anoter 35 minutes to get the buffet set up.

There are no in room safes. Strange for a new hotel. they have a few small lock boxes at the front desk, in plain view and not well secured. There is only 1, yes 1, lockbox for the whole hotel large enough for 1 laptop. Why are their no safes in the rooms, especially with the waiver they make you sign when you arrive, that basically says they can take whatever they want from your room, and they are not liable.

When I checked out, the person at the desk said the manager would be calling me to review some of the issues listed above. Its been two weeks, no call.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danott
Juan S, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

I truly appreciate your comments and concerns in your stay at our hotel. Without both the bad and the good, we cannot better ourselves and the services we provide to our guests. In regards to a manager not reaching out to you, my deepest apologies that that but I was not made aware of the situation. I would love to speak to you to discuss this in more detail. My office line is 212-586-0400, ext. 7153. Thank you again for your time.