“Not my cup of...”

Neighborhood: West Village
Just North of NYC
“Not my cup of...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

First... the employees are very friendly.
There thing is how they make the tea... yes, it's different... but after trying it three times...it's nothing special. Last time the tea had a dry unfresh taste. The pastries are ittzy bittzy tiny...will a big price.
But, very nice people.

• Visited July 2013

Dearborn, Michigan
“Lovely Little French Inspired Tearoom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Beautiful little toile wallpapered tearoom in Greenwich Village near NYU. Serves refined petite pastries such as dulce de leche cheesecake and mini cupcakes along with excellent teas. We had the Chai Masala and Rooibos. Attentive service. A charming respite from the hustle and bustle.

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Strong tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Came here with a group of friends and we were able to commandeer half of the tables and chairs. The owner was awesome and gave a brief overview of their business and why they do the things they do and some upcoming events. He's extremely friendly and very approachable if you have any questions. The decor of this place is trendy, more in tune with a coffee shop type look in my opinion. I'm giving 4 stars to this place for the service, decor, and strength of the tea. The other aspects of the tea, I would give it 3.5 stars. Now, onto the tea.

I had the Iced green tea with passion fruit. It was good and strong but sweet. The reason i have an issue with the sugar content because the owner said it would be less than your typical boba drinks. However, when observing his workers before he even gave us his explanation, I noticed they put in my cup 4 full presses of syrup into my cup. I obviously don't know the exact sugar content, but to me, that seemed A LOT. If what he says is true, I would suspect that per gram of sugar per cup versus a typical boba cup is not too far off from each other.

Another thing to consider, and this holds true for all the other tea places I've reviewed, I just decided to stick it here is the temperature of the water. It's debatable but here is a rough guideline: 180 degrees F for green tea, 190 degrees F for Oolong tea, 200 degrees F for black tea. On their machine, the green number was 100 and the red number was 98. I'm assuming 98C (208F) is what the water is at. But they use that for their entire menu. However, because they don't brew their tea, assessment is limited. However, when they gave us the black tea sample "latte", I found that to be significantly better than my green tea. Again, I don't know the temperature at David's Tea but it is something to consider especially for people who are really nit picky about their teas. Just like people being picky about their steaks, cheesecake, flan, etc.

In terms of the amount of tea they give you, I saw the employee use 3 clicks of the container to dispense the tea leaves into the "espresso machine container". That is why their tea is strong because they use a lot of tea leaves. They also have to use a lot because they aren't brewing it. It's essentially flash heating the leaves and extract the flavors from it but without transferring it to cold water per say. It is a unique technique for making tea and overall, I think it works for them.

Another thing to note are their pastries. They make it all in house. I think the pastries on their own are decent but don't exactly pair up with their teas. My assumption is, and I can definitely be wrong is that the pastries are just there with no meaningful purpose. For another business idea for them would be to pair them up. It'd be challenging but unique. I'd keep the idea for myself except that I have no particular interest in doing it =P

I'd definitely come here again and would recommend this place. It's cheaper than David's Tea =P

• Visited June 2013