“A Very cosy place, great food!”
Review of Yunnan Kitchen - CLOSED

Yunnan Kitchen
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We ate in this restaurant completely by accident. We spotted it while walking in this area and were seduced by the candle light. It was really cosy inside, long wooden tables, very nice and friendly service. The food was great, it comes in small plates you can share and it was delicious. We thought the plates were small and in fact we ordered way too much. 2 plates per person are enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Go there!

2  Thank Gaphoebz

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I just found this gem on a recent trip to NYC and LOVED every bite! We were seated promptly and received great recommendations from our server. Don't miss the Ma La Chicken, which we ended up having the 'non-fried' way and loved. Loved the Chinese Fried Rice with Sausage and Mushrooms, as well as the Green Papaya Salad. We would definitely go back!

1  Thank HollyRLayer
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I must echo all the other reviewers and say the food was fabulous. We really liked the small plates so you can try several things. Our favorites were the Chrysanthemum salad and the tea-smoked duck. As everyone else has said, the place is comfortable and the atmosphere conducive to conversation. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank janetpackard
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Exactly what we were looking for! All dishes that we ordered were very flavourful - the Ma La Chicken had quite a kick to it. Loved the fried rice with Chinese sausage. Restaurant is both intimate and up beat.

1  Thank Stuart P
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been at least 5 times since it opened and tried almost everything. This is not traditional Chinese, but a tapas-type place. It is good size, not too big, but definitely not cramped. A nice atmosphere, you can have a good conversation. a nice modern feel. 1-2 seasonal specials written on their blackboard wall. Very nice servers who will explain the dishes to you. The rice and noodle dishes are larger than the remainder of the menu. I would say at least 3 (if one is a rice or noodle)-4 dishes between 2 people. Dishes run between $8-14. but you'll have a hard time choosing only 3-4! Many of the dishes do have cilantro, so if you don't like that you should mention. That said, I love cilantro and one of my fav cold dishes is the tofu ribbon salad. The skewers of crispy pork, chicken have a generous yunnan spice (made in the kitchen) which can have a kick. Lamb meatballs are also a fav. The beef rolls are similar to the vietnamese beef rolls, but taste fresher. The trumpet mushrooms are enormous and have great UMAMI flavor. Don't forget to try the lemon leaves on the butterfly shrimp dish, those are my favorite part. There is a short but good wine/beer list. and a long list of tea! we love the tiny dish of sweet cookies that come wtih the check. they change each time but i always wish they sold those so i could take them home!