“Brunch!”
Review of Sons of Essex

Sons of Essex
Reserve with OpenTable
Sons of Essex is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,616 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Transit: F,J,M, & Z Delancey/Essex
Long Island, NY
“Brunch!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went to the Lower East Side to visit the Tenement Museum, and wanted a nice brunch. I made the reservation and my husband wondered how good a restaurant I could possibly take us to in such a gritty neighborhood. He has since done a 180. You walk in and it looks like an old time coffee bar with mosaic tile floors and espresso machines behind the counters. You walk into a restaurant, all low lighting (filament bulbs!), big mural of the old lower east side, cool booths, mismatched chairs -- your basic funky and fun. Cool music. The food? Out of this world. Look at the menu. Really AMAZING. Cool. GO.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“You don't expect what you get from what you see outside.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I ate here recently (July 2013) and really couldn't fault anything.

I ordered the BBQ Mac & Cheese with some truffle fries on the side. It was delicious, especially the truffle fries - I recommend those to everyone.

Service was good, price range was reasonable and it had a good atmosphere. My husband was also impressed with the beer on top.

You need to come off at the Delancy/Essex Street subway and then it's about. 4 minute walk from there. Really easy to find.

Sarasota, Florida
“A surprise on Essex”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

From the outside, this place does not look like much and as you walk in, you see unfinished picnic tables in the bar area. As you continue to your table, the character of the place grows on you. Even though there were no table cloths, the napkins are linen, the service was excellent, and the food was very tasty. Our waiter was Kyle W, but everyone makes sure you aren’t waiting for anything very long. We shared a variety of items among the three of us, and I would highly recommend the Truffle Pizza, Lobster Cobb, Crab Cake, and especially the Diver Scallops. I look forward to returning to this place again.

Dearborn, Michigan
“Sons of Essex”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My friends & I had a leisurely lunch at this restaurant on Manhattan's Lower East Side. We found the service to be prompt & friendly, and the crowd cool. The prices were decent too. We all agreed that the theme of the place was original and provided a unique feel. Two thumbs up.

• Visited June 2013
Perth, Australia
“Charming, elegant Speakeasy bar”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. It is slightly more casual and less pretentious than Beauty and Essex across the street. The food is exceptional, the service friendly, and the drink selection vast. Imagine softly lit ambience and old school rnb tunes filling the hidden space behind a coffee store shop front.

• Visited May 2013