“Yummy pho.cant expect nice service”
Review of Saigon Shack

Saigon Shack
Ranked #326 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

It's ideal place to grab light and cheap lunch around this area.

Their service was extremely quick. When I asked beef pho I got it only in a minute...

The broth was really tasty ,with bunch of bean sprout and lemongrass,cilantro.
Also the slices of beef were pretty generous , I remember about 6 or 7 slices filled for a single pho.

If you like it to more spicy you can ask shiraccha sauce on table.

There are newer reviews for Saigon Shack

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Having lived in China and being married to a Beijinger I love noodles! I have traveled to Vietnam many times and have had Pho on every visit. My wife and I saw the Saigon Shack while walking down MacDougall Street one day and decided to give it a try. We sat at the counter and ordered our lunch.

My wife had ordered the Saigon Shack Pho and I ordered the Spicy SS Special Pho (extra noodles for a small price made this a very hearty meal and worth the small extra price). If you like Pho then this is really good. We both liked it and will go back if we want Pho. However, my preference is for a spicier Chinese style noodle but then that is not Pho is it? I did add a lot of sauce to make it spicier and that helped.

My only complaint is that the service is not friendly. Nobody was rude, just not engaged at all and they didn't try to connect with us or any customer. They didn't seem happy to be there and had no particular passion for their food, culture, etc.... We tried to engage in conversation a few times but it didn't work. Oh well!

Very good; give it a try!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you were in East Village, NYC, and were really hungry on a really late Saturday night, where can you go for an easy, casual, and satisfying dinner? We scouted the internet to locate this one place to have our late dinner past midnight.

When I was asking for some specific choices, the waitress confessed that this restaurant isn't an authentic Vietnamese restaurant. But the Pho itself, the service she provided, especially the "beef" for my Pho...Lord, it was almost like 4+ ounces. I ate Pho so many, many times, in many cities, countries, Vietnam included... But this one by far is the undisputed most generous volume of high quality beef. I will rate this as 5-star. I was soooo hungry, thus no picture on this one. I regret that I was too quick consuming my beef.

Will definitely come back!

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We love Saigon Shack and probably order lunch at least twice a week. The food is always fresh and delicious with just the right amount of spice. Authentic vietnamese. Favorite dishes include the lemongrass chicken vermicelli and the peking duck bahn mi (pho is also amazing on colder days). I have 2 small complaints that take Saigon Shack down from 5 to 4 stars: no delivery and cash only. Otherwise, a great meal and value all around.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Love this place, great food. Their bahn'mi sandwiches are the best. So far I have tried the catfish, vegetarian and the lemon grass chicken sandwich. My favorite is the vegetarian tofu sandwich. It's full of flavors and delicious. The ingredients used are fresh and you can make it as spicy as you want by adding jalapeños.

Another dish that I thoroughly enjoy is the lemon grass chicken pho. It's to die for and was my goto dish during the winters. A big bowl of noodle soup with lots of deliciousness! I love it. The soup portion is big and enough for 1 person.

On a hot summer day cool off with their fresh cucumber drink. It's delicious and so refreshing!

A great casual place to dine in the village. They have limited seating and don't seat u till your party has arrived. Also they are a cash only restaurant! Despite that, the food is absurdly delicious!