“A Worthy Addition”

Almayass Restaurant NYC
Reserve with OpenTable
Almayass Restaurant NYC is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #958 of 13,551 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Armenian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Broadway and Park
Description: "There is no sincerer love than the love of food" Bernard Shaw The essence of Almayass is best described "...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
Westfield, Massachusetts
“A Worthy Addition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just beyond the two year mark, this branch of the flagship Beirut restaurant is a fine addition to the eclectic dining scene in the Flatiron district. It is a very attractively decorated space. The welcome is genuine and the service is of a high standard. All of the food is tasty and some particularly memorable: the Dzadzek Almayass appetizer (yogurt, cucumber, fresh garlic and dried mint) was worth the price of admission. A trio of sesame paste, Greek olives and yogurt offered as a welcoming accompaniment to some fried or baked pita bread were all of high quality. A warm appetizer of frogs legs (fried with lemon and garlic sauce) was very good, but not sublime. Perhaps I was feeling a little guilty so soon after the most recent Muppet movie. We will have to go back to Casablanca for the gold standard.

My wife and I ordered two meat dishes, minced filet mignon, and ground beef kebabs, both featuring a sweet and sour cherry sauce. We have fond memories of similar sauces in Turkey. This sauce was sweeter than we would prefer. Next time, we will opt for the lamb chops. Fortunately, our guest had ordered fresh branzino, and she was delighted with the fish. Our side orders of rice were delicious. Our waiter was also very solicitous of our friend's need to avoid salt and butter.

For those of us without those dietary restrictions, a Lebanese-Armenian version of baklava and a fairly sweet mint sorbet were both satisfying. Since our guest was unable to have wine, we opted for a couple of glasses of a Lebanese red, and it definitely enhanced our meal.

At the end of our supper, the owner, or a manager, came over to ask how our meal had been. We appreciated that grace note, and we do look forward to returning. I wish there were more seafood dishes on the menu, but I am sure there are additional discoveries worth making here.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ulysses4

East Setauket, New York
“Amizing Akmayass”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I dined at Almayass and will definitely be returning soon. This branch of an authentic Lebanese restaurant is a marvelous, restful oasis from the hectic city chaos for businesspeople and travelers alike. Our waiter Roy and his attentive assistant Eddie made us comfortable and provided help in navigating the wonders of the menu and wine list. We tried two cold and two hot appetizers with one main as recommended. The highlights were the Mantee Traditional--little boat-shaped ravioli in a succulent yogurt sauce and the main, Sweet & Sour kebab, ground meat in an imported (from the mother restaurant in Beirut) cherry sauce. We'll return for these two again--SOON! Rose is the perfect wine to accompany such food and Roy helped us pick a Lebanese rose--even offering to open a fresh bottle and let us taste it to see if it was to our liking. It was. So, if you destination is near Union Square, this is the place for lunch or dinner.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Paul W
New York City, New York
“Delicious and beautiful food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've been to this restaurant a number of times now. I love the food, which is a combination of lebanese and armenian. Every dish has its own distinctive flavor, rather than everything tasting the same. The Fatoush salad is the best I've had anywhere. The dishes are there to share, and that's the best way because you get to taste so many things. Their manti is delicious, but richer than other manti that I've had because it's crispy-fried (I think) before it's put into the rich yoghurt sauce. Love the dishes with the cherries too. I've taken friends here many times, and they always love it. The maitre di is amazing in that he recognizes me, remembers where I sat, what I ate, even when it's been months since I've been there. Going on saturday nite with friends! Can't wait.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank AGNYC
New York
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had one of the tastiest dinners ever. If you enjoy Armenian, Middle Eastern, Turkish food, Almayass is a place you must try. This wasn't my first time here, nor will it be the last.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank OBofNY
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I know New York probably isn't the best place for middle eastern food but one of the group I was with fancied a change and chose this place.

We were there midweek and there were only a couple of other tables in. It seemed to take longer than necessary to make sure everyone had a beer.

Food was okay - we ordered a spread to share amongst a fairly large group, starters a bit oily but the grilled cheese was a highlight. For mains we got the premium grill platters which were ok, but some of the meat was overdone and a bit dry and I don't think you got that much considering they were >$60 each. For dessert I had "osmalieh almayass" which was a bit dry and sweet (and I have a very sweet tooth).

It was fairly reasonably priced, but we probably still spend around $100 each and I think you can do better for that money. With so much choice in New York I don't think I would go back.

• Visited January 2014