“A good Irish welcome”

Tir Na Nog - Times Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Tir Na Nog - Times Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Eighth + Ninth
Description: A small piece of Ireland in the heart of midtown Manhattan and close to Times Square. Genuine Irish hospitality combined with modern classic cuisine and a few Irish dishes thrown into the mix. Great happy hour daily and 22 large screen TVs for sports viewing.
Allington, United Kingdom
“A good Irish welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We only had a drink here on our last day. The beer was good the wine was good and the staff friendly. Wish we had tried it sooner.

Visited September 2013
AisF, Manager at Tir Na Nog - Times Square, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Its such a pity you only found us on your last day- hope you had an enjoyable time in New York and will come back to see us again when you come back.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
“Good Food Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stopped in for a late breakfast on a holiday Monday between the breakfast and the lunch crowd. Often when you arrive on off hours the staff can be uninterested. This was NOT the case. Our waiter Ayrton was personable and an attentive waiter. The food was an excellent value. $11 for a full breakfast including coffee and juice. The atmosphere was quiet but when we stopped by in the evening it was quite lively. I would certainly recommend this restaurant if you are staying in the Garment District. Also, 10% for hotel guests if you show them their room key.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank DMSinYYC
AisF, Manager at Tir Na Nog - Times Square, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review- we always endeavor to give our customers 100%- even on holidays :)
London
“Tir na nOg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Brilliant. Big friendly pub showing all the various sports. All staff make you feel welcome. great selection of drinks and will also make you drinks not on their menu especially (Apple Mojitos) see Mo aka Maureen and Linda.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank MOL3215
We love the ladies cocktails too :) Come back for some more anytime :)
Seabroook TX.
“Shepards Pie!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great price, great Shepard's pie, nice atmosphere! We went early in on a Saturday after seeing a matinee on Broadway, so there was no waiting for seating, the service was okay, the drinks were great.... asked for bread, it never came, but that was okay. Our hotel had a 10% card for Tir na Nog, which made our check very reasonable!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank AmbassadorPDK
Syracuse, New York
“Fantastic ambience, high quality food, and great service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I pursued an online reservation a day in advance for 5:30 on a Friday (the day we arrived in NYC), and was surprised to get one so easily; the restaurant staff called at midday on Friday to confirm our reservation. When we arrived, I was even more surprised to find the restaurant almost empty; while it did become about 50% full by the time we left, I found that this was a real gem if what it offers appeals to you, and is a great idea for dinner at the pre-show type time, since it is so under-full.

THE AMBIENCE: The strongest highlight of the experience was really the ambience. The interior is a very creative approach toward the traditional Irish pub: much of the interior crosses what you would usually expect from the more attractive Irish pub interior with clever tricks of décor that make the interior feel like the exterior of a small town road in Ireland. Along one entire wall, stonework and wooden partitions for some of the tables plus backlit "windows" give the appearance of a row of rustic homes; similar creative elements are built into other walls, and even the floor. The only thing that mars the ambience are the flat screen televisions tuned to ESPN on almost every wall, which has become an almost omnipresent element in food-serving pubs and bar/grills these days, but I understand that function (and the need to provide that element for sports-watching patrons) has to make form bow occasionally.

THE FOOD - My wife and I each ordered an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert, and our impressions of all were that everything was cooked exceptionally, each dish one of the highest quality examples of its type we have had, and also of extremely ample size as well.

For appetizer, my wife had the crab cake, which was served on what she reported to be an especially delicious bed of cole slaw; I had the potato leek soup, which at first looked potentially disappointing because it appeared all one single-color cream consistency, but upon tasting, I realized that the usual tastes were all expertly blended. I was offered when I ordered a cup or a bowl, and I ordered the bowl as I do in most restaurants (it is a favorite dish I rarely get)... the bowl I was brought, though, was easily twice the size of the "bowl" serving I usually get elsewhere - it could have served as a main dish all its own at that serving size. I did miss one element I find in potato leek soup elsewhere - a cheese garnish - but it was still good.

For entrée, my wife ordered the Shepherd's Pie, and found it exceptional. The mashed potato top was really good, and as it was made with very rich and savory lamb, the dish overall was rich and satisfying. I ordered Bangers and Mash, and similarly was quite satisfied. The ample mashed potato base was delicious and the traditional onion gravy very tasty but not overpowering, and the four sausages were also delicious. Both our meals were very generously sized - after so much spud in my appetizer, I regrettably had to leave some of the delicious mashed potatoes. Also, both entrees were interestingly topped by a single potato chip, erect at the center of the dish. At first, confusing... then, upon tasting, very welcome (how often can a single potato chip provoke actual aloud discussion of how yummy it is).

For dessert, my wife ordered crème brule, and found that much like my appetizer, it was apportioned in a size more than twice what we are accustomed to getting for that dish; it was very well made and very good. I had French vanilla ice cream, which similarly was generously portioned and very good.

THE SERVICE - From my experience making the reservation and the call confirming, to our greeting and seating, to the attentive, prompt and accurate filling of our orders, bussing of our table, keeping drinks topped off, and processing the tab, service was excellent - friendly, quick but not rushed, and pleasant.

THE PRICE - The price was average for a high quality establishment in NYC - our bill was $83 after tax (but before tip), but the price was very reasonable for the service, ambience, and food we got. I can equally imagine some people finding the price a little low, and others having sticker shock, if they are inexperienced NYC visitors or do not know what they are heading into - in our experience, the price was spot-on for what was provided.

OVERALL - I chose this location due to high reviews on TripAdvisor, specifically pairing it with our evening performance of the very Irish-culture-related musical "Once" later that evening, and it served perfectly in that capacity. In future trips, we are very likely to consider Tir na nOg again, and especially as an excellent place very close to the theaters and a comfortable walk distance with great ambience but not overcrowded for a pre-curtain mealtime. Thanks!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank GregJHipius
AisF, Manager at Tir Na Nog - Times Square, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Hi Greg
Thank you so much for your magnificent review on our bar. We aim for every customer to leave as happy as you did. Please come back and see us again and I hope you enjoyed Once.