“Tir na nOg”

Tir na Nog - Times Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Tir na Nog - Times Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Irish, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Eighth + Ninth
Description: A small piece of Ireland in the heart of midtown Manhattan and close to Times Square. Genuine Irish hospitality combined with modern classic cuisine and a few Irish dishes thrown into the mix. Great happy hour daily and 22 large screen TVs for sports viewing.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Brilliant. Big friendly pub showing all the various sports. All staff make you feel welcome. great selection of drinks and will also make you drinks not on their menu especially (Apple Mojitos) see Mo aka Maureen and Linda.

2  Thank MOL3215
AisF, Manager at Tir na Nog - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

We love the ladies cocktails too :) Come back for some more anytime :)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great price, great Shepard's pie, nice atmosphere! We went early in on a Saturday after seeing a matinee on Broadway, so there was no waiting for seating, the service was okay, the drinks were great.... asked for bread, it never came, but that was okay. Our hotel had a 10% card for Tir na Nog, which made our check very reasonable!

1  Thank AmbassadorPDK
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I pursued an online reservation a day in advance for 5:30 on a Friday (the day we arrived in NYC), and was surprised to get one so easily; the restaurant staff called at midday on Friday to confirm our reservation. When we arrived, I was even more surprised to find the restaurant almost empty; while it did become about 50% full by the time we left, I found that this was a real gem if what it offers appeals to you, and is a great idea for dinner at the pre-show type time, since it is so under-full.

THE AMBIENCE: The strongest highlight of the experience was really the ambience. The interior is a very creative approach toward the traditional Irish pub: much of the interior crosses what you would usually expect from the more attractive Irish pub interior with clever tricks of décor that make the interior feel like the exterior of a small town road in Ireland. Along one entire wall, stonework and wooden partitions for some of the tables plus backlit "windows" give the appearance of a row of rustic homes; similar creative elements are built into other walls, and even the floor. The only thing that mars the ambience are the flat screen televisions tuned to ESPN on almost every wall, which has become an almost omnipresent element in food-serving pubs and bar/grills these days, but I understand that function (and the need to provide that element for sports-watching patrons) has to make form bow occasionally.

THE FOOD - My wife and I each ordered an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert, and our impressions of all were that everything was cooked exceptionally, each dish one of the highest quality examples of its type we have had, and also of extremely ample size as well.

For appetizer, my wife had the crab cake, which was served on what she reported to be an especially delicious bed of cole slaw; I had the potato leek soup, which at first looked potentially disappointing because it appeared all one single-color cream consistency, but upon tasting, I realized that the usual tastes were all expertly blended. I was offered when I ordered a cup or a bowl, and I ordered the bowl as I do in most restaurants (it is a favorite dish I rarely get)... the bowl I was brought, though, was easily twice the size of the "bowl" serving I usually get elsewhere - it could have served as a main dish all its own at that serving size. I did miss one element I find in potato leek soup elsewhere - a cheese garnish - but it was still good.

For entrée, my wife ordered the Shepherd's Pie, and found it exceptional. The mashed potato top was really good, and as it was made with very rich and savory lamb, the dish overall was rich and satisfying. I ordered Bangers and Mash, and similarly was quite satisfied. The ample mashed potato base was delicious and the traditional onion gravy very tasty but not overpowering, and the four sausages were also delicious. Both our meals were very generously sized - after so much spud in my appetizer, I regrettably had to leave some of the delicious mashed potatoes. Also, both entrees were interestingly topped by a single potato chip, erect at the center of the dish. At first, confusing... then, upon tasting, very welcome (how often can a single potato chip provoke actual aloud discussion of how yummy it is).

For dessert, my wife ordered crème brule, and found that much like my appetizer, it was apportioned in a size more than twice what we are accustomed to getting for that dish; it was very well made and very good. I had French vanilla ice cream, which similarly was generously portioned and very good.

THE SERVICE - From my experience making the reservation and the call confirming, to our greeting and seating, to the attentive, prompt and accurate filling of our orders, bussing of our table, keeping drinks topped off, and processing the tab, service was excellent - friendly, quick but not rushed, and pleasant.

THE PRICE - The price was average for a high quality establishment in NYC - our bill was $83 after tax (but before tip), but the price was very reasonable for the service, ambience, and food we got. I can equally imagine some people finding the price a little low, and others having sticker shock, if they are inexperienced NYC visitors or do not know what they are heading into - in our experience, the price was spot-on for what was provided.

OVERALL - I chose this location due to high reviews on TripAdvisor, specifically pairing it with our evening performance of the very Irish-culture-related musical "Once" later that evening, and it served perfectly in that capacity. In future trips, we are very likely to consider Tir na nOg again, and especially as an excellent place very close to the theaters and a comfortable walk distance with great ambience but not overcrowded for a pre-curtain mealtime. Thanks!

1  Thank GregJHipius
AisF, Manager at Tir na Nog - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi Greg
Thank you so much for your magnificent review on our bar. We aim for every customer to leave as happy as you did. Please come back and see us again and I hope you enjoyed Once.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This bar/restaurant was next door to our hotel. We first called in for a drink one afternoon where my husband was asked his age whilst buying a pint. He's 36 and certainly looks it (no offence dear!) We had a good giggle about that, as did the staff when they thought we were out of earshot. Note: don't mock your customers when they have good hearing, or don't do it at all. This particular member of staff was a blonde eastern European. This is the only bad word I can say about this pub.

We went back for dinner the same night and the staff were lovely; friendly, courteous and polite. The food was great too. We went back today for breakfast but they'd just stopped serving which was a shame. Still, our lunch was really nice and again the staff were nice.

The interior is very dark, which I quite like but could put some people off. The ambience is very nice and the layout of the place is spot on. It's very atmospheric whilst being open and large. I'll probably go back tonight for a drink or two, but better not forget my passport ;-)

Happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed our bar and got a giggle from our staff :) Apologies for the bartender speaking behind your back that was very rude and unacceptable. Glad you still came back and enjoyed our food so much.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Just down the road from our hotel - a little pricey but nice non the less! Open till 4 am so good to drop into on your way home from a night out!

Glad you liked our bar-hope we weren't the cause of any hangovers :)