“a different spin on Indian cuisine”
Review of Moti Mahal Delux

Moti Mahal Delux
Reserve with OpenTable
Moti Mahal Delux is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,489 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: 63rd Street
Description: Moti Mahal Delux offers recipes that are distinguished principally by inventive flavor combinations and the finesse of 'Mughlai' cuisine, a "bargain in any neighbourhood for food that provides a surprising flavor of luxury" - The New York Times, 2 Stars Many decades after the founding of Moti Mahal Delux, the success continues to be driven by the adherence to its core values- to deliver the highest quality of food, to offer great flavor, visual variety, and outstanding value for price. With a worldwide trend towards ethnic cuisine, Moti Mahal Delux leads the way in the Indian food revolution.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Many Indian restaurant menus are quite similar to one another, but this small corner eatery offers attractive options, prepared with a unique spin and different spicing than the run-of-the mill.
While it is difficult to recall the exact names of dishes in a language one doesn't know, I can remember very clearly the outstanding butter sauce on the chunks of chicken breast drenched in a beautiful orange-colored sauce. It seemed to be a tomato base, but not at all acidic, or "tomatoey." The black dal was spectacular and sufficiently spicy for my palate, but someone who does not enjoy spicy dishes may have some trouble with it. My husband's goat curry was perfect--a dish that is not frequently found, and if found often dry and stringy. This dish was expertly prepared.
Our appetizers were good, but not outstanding. I had four cigar-like stuffed roll-ups served in a sauce and inverted into narrow glass cups--very attractive and unusual. Unfortunately they were a tad soggy and not hot enough. My husband's scallop appetizer was nicely seasoned, but the one scallop I tasted seemed undercooked for my taste.
The onion flat bread was good, but again, a bit soggy.
The mango lassie drink and ras malai dessert were outstanding.
All in all an enjoyable meal, though the air conditioning was turned on so high I froze.
Do make reservations. We snagged nearly the last table without them.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went here for lunch and got the non-vegetarian fixed price lunch special. It was a TON of food for the three of us! It was all delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed it. But, sadly, at the end of the meal we were told we couldn't take any leftovers with us. This could signify cultural differences, but we were all too full to eat more yet saddened to see so much wonderful food go to waste. Just beware and order only what you can eat.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Every time the New York Times gives a positive review to a restaurant EVERYONE wants to eat there - us included. We do not live in New York but we love Indian food and the New York Times review made us want to eat here. We went at lunch when they only offered two fixed menus - vegetarian or non vegetarian.

The place was a noisey mob scene. We were seated at a table 3 inches (no exaggeration) from a large office group having a loud Christmas luncheon. We chose one vegetarian and one non vegetarian lunch (which we were only able to order once we "grabbed" a server). Instead of one of each, we were given two vegetarian appetizers - cold fried onion bhaji - not very good. The main courses were a lentil dish, a dish with some peas and large chunks of potatoes, a lamb dish and a VERY gristly chicken dish which was inedible. Apparently you could have as much as you wanted because the loud office group was there for a very long time and kept ordering more and more. It was served with naan (again cold) and I had to ask for raita even though I saw other tables being served pickled lime and other condiments. A tiny, but tasty, gulab jamun was included for dessert.

The New York Times article raved about the Tandoori chicken and I was really looking forward to ordering that, but that was not possible. The service was awful and the food was mediocre. It was a huge disappointment.

Maybe after the initial "rush" is over it would be worth a visit, but right now I could not recommend it. I would not have gone for lunch had I known I could not choose what I wanted to eat.

1  Thank luvroma2
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Sophisticated food at reasonable prices. The flavors are wonderful, subtle, and different. Your palate is not assaulted but covered in wonderful flavors. Indian cuisine could be coarse and spices taste raw in the wrong hands. NOT HERE.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Had my dinner in this place with some co-worker recently,they had the best indian cuisine in town that I had before in Baluchi.Worth a trip to this place