“Impeccable”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #28 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at this lovely boutique hotel for two nights. As others have said over and over in their reviews the staff is friendly, attentive and eager-to-please. From the moment I drove up to the front of the hotel until I checked out there was someone to attend to my needs.

The room was very spacious for a New York hotel. The bed was very comfortable and made up with high quality, silky sheets and down pillows and comforter. I loved the writing desk which was made to look like an old world sewing machine. The lighting is perfect and can be controlled from the bedside. Lots of outlets for my beloved electronics which travel with me everywhere.

I was very impressed with the bathroom. Above the sink was a marble shelf which held all my toiletries. Speaking of toiletries, the hotel supplies Le Labro toiletries and I was in heaven over that! Loved the large, walk-in shower. So glad that modern hotels are abandoning the tub and shower combination.

Room service was good. Other reviewers complained that the meals arrive in plastic containers. Yes, it does but it's done tastefully. I only ordered breakfast and was pleased with the meal and service. My only teensy complaint is that, after using the breakfast menu hangtag the first day, my request to receive another was ignored. However, when I called for breakfast in the morning service was extremely prompt and I heard a knock on my door ten minutes after I hung up the phone.

Many people complained about noise. I had a third floor room facing 37th street and wasn't disturbed at all. But, I'm a city gal - born and raised. The whoosh of traffic and the blaring of sirens and horns is a lullaby to me.

The location is perfect. After parking my vehicle I take the subway and walk wherever I need to go and there are subway stations a short walk away. There's also lots of shopping and restaurants close by.

I'm already planning another stay next month. There's no need to find another hotel in NYC. I can't go wrong staying at The Refinery.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Barbara S
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay Barbara S. Thank you for your detailed review. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in NYC!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The room was terrific. Larger than I thought you could get in New York. Sitting area and bathroom was sizeable. Decor was modern and clean. Wood floor was nice.

Location in Midtown is good -- a few blocks from Times Square.

The room was fantastic but on the 12th floor, we were right under the DJ on the roof-top bar, and you can hear the bass through the floor until 1 pm or later on Fri/Sat. Bar is popular all week long, so weekdays were not exempt from the bar/music noise at night. There is a dedicated elevator to the bar at night, but patron use all elevators to come down -- so sometimes you are in the elevator with silly, drunk 20 somethings -- which is not exactly family friendly.

Service was friendly during check in/arrival. It dipped a bit once we were there day-to-day, but overall pretty good.

Hotel restaurant was fair, not family friendly for dinner. Lots of 20 somethings there for afterwork get-togethers. Was very loud. Food was average.

Overall, the size and quality of the room still overcomes the other issues. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank newspeak18

newspeak18, thank you for your post. Your recommendation means a lot to us and we are happy that you enjoyed your overall experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed for 3 days while in town for a trade show. The location is very good for walking, close to Bryant Park and Times Square. Rooms are nice and are of varying sizes...mine was a King with lots of room, other travelers had Queens with smaller rooms. Staff is very attentive and we particularly enjoyed the restaurant downstairs. Oh, and don't miss a trip to the rooftop bar - it's got an amazing view of the Empire State Building, especially at night! The surrounding neighborhood can be a bit loud, but it's New York so expected that. Very easy to get transportation and lots of restaurant options nearby. Would return!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room on a high floor facing away from the street. I was on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

We thank you for your recommendation, dm713, and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed as a couple for 3 nights.
It was a good location (in Garment District). We could reach lots of what we wanted to see by walking, and it was only a short walk to the subway. We felt safe walking around.
The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful.
The hotel room was nice quality, clean and spacious, with a good shower and bathroom.
The price seemed good value relative to its peers.

We went up to the rooftop bar for cocktails and thought it was classy and nicely done. It had a beautiful view of the nearby Empire State Building and not just outside in the patio - the ceiling was retracted in the pleasant evening weather (see photo). Unfortunately, all seating was reserved so we had to sit at the bar. Future visitors might therefore be advised to request a seating reservation beforehand.

We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend the hotel.
The only negative, to give a full report, was the delivery of our $75 room service breakfast in plastic trays with plastic cutlery. As the menu said china ware was available on request, which we did, this only extended to the plates.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

ChickenBeakBoy we greatly appreciate you taking the time to post. We are following up on these details and hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 days in NYC up till 4 July and after several
stays in NYC I think the Refinery at 38th is my favourite hotel.
Excellently positioned , new , small and elegant. A real gem!
A kettle in the room would have been good as my partner is a big tea consumer. Otherwise perfect.
All members of the staff were polite, accommodating and had personality . I would highly recommend this hotel for all age groups.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your recommendation Curthofmann. We are thrilled to be your favorite and look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel was comfortable, interesting and in a good location as other reviewers have said. We also found the staff very friendly and attentive -- they often checked if we needed anything, were able quickly to arrange cabs, transport and bookings and stored our bags for us a few days before we arrived when we were passing through. That was very helpful.

It was pretty noisy outside (and we rarely hear any noise). But this is the middle of New York, so it goes with the territory I guess. No complaints about that.

Mu only suggestion is that the roof top bar should lift their game. They should look after guests more rather than treat them as just other customers -- it was unnecessary too to insist on holiding a credit card for a tab when I was charging drinks to our room and they knew who I was. They had roped off quite a bit of the tables the night we were there and it was only when I said we were going somewhere else that they fessed up that the group wasn't coming for about three hours. But this didn't detract from a great hotel -- there are plenty of other bars in New York after all.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback, vague travellers. Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel, and your insight on our Rooftop. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

June 2014 & another great stay at this wonderful hotel. From the doorman to the front we were welcomed and helped by the kindest hotel staff. The room was huge by NYC standards and immaculately clean, lovely linen and the nicest of pillows. This is my 2nd stay here within 6 months and we will be back. The location is excellent - walking to Bryant Park, Theatre district, Times Square and major shopping. Wonderful to have the attached restaurant for our breakfast and we thoroughly enjoyed having the main floor lounge for a dessert and drink after our walk back from the Theatre.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for being a returning guest swCalgary, your thoughtful comments about our staff and our hotel are very important to us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in New York!