“Best Midtown hotel by far!”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Refinery Hotel so far exceeded my expectations that I have sworn to never stay anywhere else when traveling to NYC! I was there with my daughter, sister and niece bridal dress shopping for the weekend. I upgraded upon arrival to a larger room for $30 extra dollars a day and it was SO worth it! Tons of room in our double bed room - beautiful dark hardwood floors, crisp white bedding and walls punctuated with modern, colorful art was the perfect combination of
"refinement." The bathroom was spacious - old school black and white tile, black vanity and large shower combined to add to the character of the hotel.
The two best attributes of this place??? First, the hotel staff's incredible demeanor - we LOVED Harvey!!!! He was upbeat and always accommodating! The front desk was always pleasant - they really had fun with us. Second, the Rooftop bar was AMAZING! Really fun place ANY time of the day! With the Empire State Building as your backdrop, you can eat and drink your way to a great time whenever. Bottom line - don't look elsewhere for a hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stacey H
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Stacey H, your thoughtful words about our staff and our rooftop means a lot to us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,255)

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip June 19, and it was a positive experience. Easy check in with very friendly front desk. Rooms were clean, and the bathroom was large and well stocked with top notch toiletries. Free wifi was nice. There was a complimentary bottle of Chardonnay waiting for me, which was another nice touch. I ventured up to the roof deck bar and it was a fun scene. Ate breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby next morning and food was great. Gym is a little small, only one elliptical, so that could be better. Overall, though, a very nice hotel. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MSB1203

MSB1203, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed Refinery Hotel and are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is a real gem of a hotel ! first class location, great service and staff, really nice room looking out onto the Empire State building, roof top bar, which is great during the day and night.
I would highly recommend to anybody..

Room Tip: Try and get a room that you see the empire state building from.
1  Thank ian b
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you for your recommendation ian b. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I were both floored how much detail went into this hotel. When you first check-in they offer you a glass of white or red wine as you make your way to your room. I thought that was an awesome feature, it made you feel like you were in a 5 star resort. The staff is very helpful and friendly.The rooms are very spacious( for any hotel-let alone NYC). The rooms were also VERY clean and well maintained( and we are pretty picky as to cleanliness). They had also recently opened about a year and a half ago, so perhaps that is why everything was so prestine. And the bed linens are amazing!! Usually I'm not the type of person to comment on this type of thing because I get really grossed out by hotel beds anyway, but the linens were so soft and the blanket I almost wanted to purchase. I looked up the brand when I got home only to find out that it's a luxury company and the blankets are like $500. So you can definitely tell how much detail went into this hotel.
We stayed on the second floor and in the front of the building.I was a little puzzled by this because we had made our reservations so far in advance. So I was a little nervous about this because there is live music friday night in the bar downstairs and a restaurant right next door. It was a little noisy with people talking outside but nothing crazy. It seemed to die down around 11pm. Besides the swanky bar in the lobby they have a restaurant which is open for breakfast at 7am I believe. The breakfast was very good and reasonably priced.I would highly recommend to anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher level when you book the room.
2  Thank organic2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your review, organic2013. We appreciate your noting our attention to detail and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I recently made our second trip to this marvelous, well-located hotel. The staff was very welcoming and professional, even calling us by name as we came and went! The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. This is now our "go to" choice when in NYC.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank retteach

Thank you retteach, we are delighted to be your home away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This funky and chic hotel is very conveniently located in the heart of Manhattan. The staff and service they provide is excellent. The concierge was super helpful in explaining the subway lines to us; she even printed the relevant info for us to take along. This was our first trip together to NY and Refinery made it just perfect. We will definitely choose this hotel in the future!

My partner forgot his reading glasses in their washroom and they promptly couriered them the day after to our address in Canada.

We never got down to using their spa or pool but I am sure they are as super as they rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for your post, Umayr_P. Your recommendation means a lot to us and we hope that you will choose to stay at Refinery Hotel during your next visit to NYC.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Refinery is an amazing Midtown hotel. The staff is professional, friendly and eager to make each person feel welcomed. The lobby is spacious and inviting. Rooms were very roomy for Midtown and very comfortable. Beds were extremely comfortable.

Just a couple of blocks from Herald Square stop and the Bryant Park stop, the hotel is very accessible in every way.

We have stayed in other upscale and boutique hotels in this neighborhood and consider this the best all-round in Midtown.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the views and the less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BlueStoic

Thank you for your thoughtful review, rootie2tie, we look forward to your next stay with us.