“Excellent hotel”

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #25 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We had an 8 night & 3 night stay in April.
The Refinery is a very, very good hotel. Staff were knowledgable, friendly and went out of there way to be helpful.
All three bars catered for different moods, with the rooftop bar a standout for evening drinks.
The rooms were spotless. Housekeeping were meticulous.Great position in Midtown, close the Bryant Park Subway.
All in all, a great stay in Manhattan made even better by the team at The Refinery.
If you are coming to NYC, book this hotel. You will be glad you did.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We appreciate your recommendation, Peter K, and look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I brought my 13 year old daughter for her 8th grade graduation. She had a fantastic time an did not want to go home. The hotel is centrally located, so we could just about walk anywhere. If we couldn't walk we could catch a cab, bus or subway. The staff was phenomenal they were all so friendly and extremely helpful. I would definitely stay here again, especially for an adults only vacation.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review, Rowdee9--we hope you will return for a second visit soon.
Rockaway Park, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I recently had a very pleasant stay at The Refinery Hotel.

After spending the day in NYC, Brunching & sight-seeing with friends we decided it would be fun to stay the night in the city instead of heading home to Queens. We asked our cab driver to take us to a nice spot close to Times Square. He suggested the new Refinery Hotel. Upon pulling up we were greeted by two very nice young doormen. We asked them a little bit about the hotel and they assured us it would be a great place to spend the night and told us to make sure to check out the rooftop bar - This was our selling point.

We quickly & easily checked into a room with the help of Albert at Guest Services. He was very friendly & accommodating to the four of us.

We had a gorgeous room on the 7th floor of the hotel. The hotel is very nicely decorated and the theme stays true through every detail of the room. We changed quick and went downstairs to grab a bite at the restaurant, Parker & Quinn. When we got downstairs we were greeted by name by the staff, our new friends.

We had a nice meal and a few drinks at Parker & Quinn. Everything was delicious and the service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and multiple staff members came to check on us and stir conversation. It was a very comfortable and amiable atmosphere.

After dinner, we decided to check out the Rooftop that we had been hearing so much about. We took the elevator up to the 13th floor and were in awe the second the doors opened. The rooftop has two parts… one enclosed by a glass atrium and the other completely outside. The best part? The AMAZING view of the Empire State Building. We had a few drinks and socialized with some of the other guests. The bartenders were great and very hospitable, even buying us a round of shots. They also had a great DJ playing. We had planned on checking out another bar, but ended up staying at the rooftop… we were having such a wonderful time we just did not want to leave!

Check out the next morning was another quick breeze. The staff again were very friendly, big smiles and were happy to hear we had such a great night.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. A short walk to the heart of Times Square and plenty of entertainment in the hotel itself. I can not wait to spend another night there!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for posting, Stephanie W. We are happy to hear that you found us and enjoyed your visit--we look forward to your next stay with us!
London UK
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Refinery lived up to its high reviews in every area. The rooms are a good size, we had four of us in queen delux, the location is excellent, 2 mins from the Empire State, 5 from Times Square and access to the subway is also very close. There is also a fantastic team there, from the restaurant to the concierge and everyone in between we were always greeted with a hello and friendly smile. The building itself is also great. Everything put together gives the Refinery a certain vibe that makes you feel so comfortable the minute you walk through the door. The perfect place for us in NYC

Room Tip: High up with a view of the Empire State
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Turkeymil
Thank you for your review, Turkeymil. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I had no problems during my stay but then nothing stood out for me to agree with many of the top ratings here nor make me want to stay here again. My family of four stayed here for 5 nights during kids' Spring Break. When visiting NYC with family, we normally stay at Sofitel, which is convenient for Broadway but decided to try Refinery based on great reviews here. I had a decent stay and have no personal complaints. For fellow TripAdvisors I will share few thoughts that I hope you will find helpful.

I would best describe Refinery as "Ian Schrager Light" hotel and I do not mean this in derogatory way. Refinery is basically providing a minimalist, hip style boutique hotel service at a lower price in an area that lacks such accommodation. I think it is a smart strategy and think this hotel will continue to do good business.

As others noted I liked the friendly service. The staff here were all genuinely friendly and eager to help. Whatever I needed, they were quick to address them. But, I should note that door men were often too casual: I grew up and worked in NYC well into my 20s so I'm familiar with New Yorkers. But, "hey man" and "hey, how you doin?" greetings from doormen and bell boys seem way too friendly and casual at a hotel. Few times, there were 3 guys at the door so busy chatting away that they did not even open the door for us.

As some of the other reviewers noted, the access to Roof Top bar is strictly controlled. Some have noted that they had to wait 10-15 minutes before being allowed to go up or that they were told the bar was reserved for a private party. During my stay, I did notice some of the female hotel guests being made to wait in the lobby behind the velvet ropes. One time in an elevator I overheard one female hotel guest complain to her companion that night before she and her friend were made to wait over 15 minutes and when they did make it up, the roof bar was more than half empty.
I found all this to be amusing. One of this site's reviewers thought the bar was an independent operation with different ownership and management. It may be so but I personally doubt it.
I suspect that in terms of guests Refinery attracts, the "Ian Schrager Light" strategy is working out well for the roof top bar but perhaps not as envisioned for hotel guests. My friend who works near the area told me that Refinery roof top bar has become the most popular after work drinking place in the area, especially for people in their 20-30s. The hotels guests from what I saw were mainly middle aged (like me) visitors, quite a few families with young children, some young tourists couples and a sprinkle of business people. Now I can clearly imagine some of these business types at Ian Schrager joints like Hudson or Royalton but most were simple, average tourist like me. BTW, I did try Hudson (on business) and Mondrian (on personal visit to NYC), thought Schrager concept to be brilliant but just did not want to pay the price.
My guess is that Refinery location is not conducive to count on enough young and hip room guests year-round but the concept, location not far from Times Square and decent price do attract many tourists. Now, what is the hotel to do when its highly profitable liquor business is doing fantastically well attracting the clients that you covet but the less than hip hotel guests threatens to diminish the cool vibe of the roof top bar? Do you let the middle age tourists or young but clearly not NYC "cool and hip" hotel guests freely roam around the bar and destroy the business? These tourists may never be back to NYC again but bar needs steady and loyal customer base each and every night and these hipsters in NYC will turn against you in a second if they think their favorite watering joint is becoming popular with Ozzie and Harriet.

So I understand the charade hotel goes through every night with velvet ropes, beefy guards manning the elevator reserved only for the bar guests and "private party" routines to protect the hotel's bottom line. And I don't go out drinking when travelling with kids so I wasn't personally affected by all this. But, I will say the whole scene plus overhearing the female guest at the elevator (she seemed in her early 20s and perfectly fine looking but did not appear to be a city girl) turned me off about Refinery.

I need to also mention the construction noise that few others have noted. It's obviously no fault of the hotel but you should be aware that couple of blocks away, a huge office building is being built and I suspect it will go on for at least another year. Should not be an issue for morning person but if you are suffering from a jet lag or late sleeper, unwelcome early morning "wake up call" can be an issue.

In short, I had a decent stay but nothing standing out to recommend it to others when visiting NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Hank072010
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
We appreciate your thorough and thoughtful comments, Hank072010. Feedback is important to us as we continue to improve and we will be addressing these details. We hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future for a renewed experience of our customer care.
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Had a very pleasant two-night stay here. Great location, comfortable rooms and terrific staff. Unlike others who had noise complaints, our room faced inward (back alley, other buildings) so noise wasn't an issue - mind you we also had no view. Only complaint may have been that the bed was a little on the soft side as we prefer a firmer mattress. Also, while they serve coffee in the lobby until 8:30 am (which was much appreciated), I strongly recommend increasing this til 9:30 am, particularly on weekends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post, RoverLuke, we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 10, 2014

As a native New Yorker, who frequently returns to visit family, I enjoy staying in Manhattan. The Refinery is a new establishment that is very comfortable with a pleasant and attentive staff. I highly recommend it. In addition the location is perfect, not too close to Times Square, but close enough to walk if you wish to see a show.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BruceFla
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for posting, BruceFla, and for your recommendation. We look forward to your return visit.