“Simply excellent”

Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London
“Simply excellent”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

As you can see from my other reviews, I am the hotel guest from hell and find fault in almost every minor detail and boy did I struggle to find problems with the Refinery. I stay in hotels around the globe for over 100 nights a year, almost all top tier hotels and I have to say, this place totally rocks.

I arrived right over a terrible trans-atlantic flight and on the doormen were attentive but not pushy (some grab your bag and refuse to let go in the hope of a tip) and happily let me take my own bag to the room. There was a real buzzy, but not pretentious, vibe in the lobby and the girl at checkin was simply delightful - everyone in this place just seems to smile, without being grating.

I was in room 907, possibly the biggest room I have had in NYC, and there isn't a 5-star hotel in town I have not stayed in. It was superbly designed and so sympathetic to what the building used to be. In fact the pride in the detail and styling about the heritage of the place is wonderful and makes you feel part of the story (like the 'newspaper' on the desk in the room). The bathroom didn't have a bath (possibly the only negative), but a good (not great) shower and again the attention to design detail runs to a great mosaic on the floor of the bathroom.

So I started my tests. It was 10.30pm when I checked in, so I called the front desk for non-feather pillows - bingo, less than 5 minutes later, a lovely housekeeping chap arrives and changes all my pillows. Next, the noise test. Total silence from above and both next doors. Next - technology - I have two laptops and I hate having to pay twice for internet - here - free and very fast. HD TVs (two big screen ones) and even a thoughtful little iPad charger.

Even one of my pets hates is under control here - little paper notices everywhere about saving the planet and minibars, etc. Nope - not here - just the room service menu. I ordered some dinner, and yes, it arrived so fast, I hadn't even had time to unpack! It comes in 'to go' plastic containers - not everyones idea of great, but it works for me, was hot and tasty and you don't have to wait hours for someone to pick up the tray when you are done.

I also had to iron my shirt and yes, you guessed it, the best ever iron I have ever used. I am really not making this up. I was desperate to find something wrong here. Check out was super fast and super friendly (love the Cheers stamp on the invoice) - and yes here is the best bit - all for under $400!! I slipped away fast in case they had made a mistake and undercharged me by $400!

Well done guys - this is simply an awesome place and I didn't even make it up to the rooftop thing. Other hotels, please learn from this place - service, smiles, pride, and a great design go a long way in hotel excellence.

6 Thank milesw
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Your kind words are much appreciated, milesw, and I am glad to hear we could surpass your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Refinery Hotel is one of my new favorites in NYC! Perfectly located just two blocks from Bryant Park and a short walk from Grand Central Station, it's housed in a former millinery factory and gives frequent and well-considered nods to the building's history. The rooms are spacious with hardwood floors and large, mosaic tiled bathrooms featuring a rain shower. Attention has really been paid to details throughout the hotel. The furnishings are industrial contemporary (if that's a term) and make for a cool environment that's really comfortable. I didn't dine in the restaurant, but the staff was top-notch. Booked through Jetsetter and got a great rate, too. Highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Your recommendation means a lot to us, stp047. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is my fifth different hotel stay in January. I typically stay in around 40 different hotels each year and I much say the Refinery Hotel is currently at the top of my list! It is a hidden gem and a flawlessly executed experience. I stayed here for three nights and never had bad service. The room is (almost) perfect in every way. The only improvement would be to have bigger bath sheets (towels) and a hook to hang the towels so they can dry and be re-used. Otherwise, everything about it was fabulous. Breakfast was perfect. The bar has a very nice buzzy vibe to it. Certainly my home from home in New York from now on. Well done!!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are a little noisy, but you do have the view of the Empire State Building from th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We are always proud to become someone's home away from home, jobymaloby, and thank you for your post.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

The Refinery is a very comfortable hotel, the rooms are well appointed and comfortable. There is a great roof top bar with magnificent views of the NY skyline. My only complaint is that I had a room on the 2nd floor and got a lot of street noise.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RHINOTHOMAS
While we are sorry to hear about the heightened noise during your visit, we are glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay otherwise, RHINOTHOMAS, and hope you will visit again in the future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I just had the pleasure of spending a week at the Refinery Hotel and it exceeded my expectations on every level! I'm from New Orleans and was producing a fundraiser in NYC. Acting on a friend's recommendation I booked 10 rooms for myself and staff sight unseen ... and we were blown away! The hotel is so hip and cool ... the rooms spacious and modern ... the restaurant and bars awesome ... But the staff is even more amazing!!! They were beyond helpful, giving us recommendations, scheduling cars and deliveries for our event, catering to our every need. Every single staff person at the Refinery was amazing but I have to give a special shout out to Amanda Toles in Group sales, and Ronald Ortega and Moheine Azagar at the front desk ... these guys deserve special recognition as the best, most helpful, and lovely hotel staff that I have every encountered anywhere in the world!!! Many thanks for everything y'all did for us! Our fundraiser was a success in no small part due to all of your help. Refinery Hotel ... y'all are amazing!!! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We look forward to your return, robin y--and appreciate your enthusiasm. Thank you for your review.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous hotel in great Midtown location. Room was lovely, decor in hotel has lovely references to the building's history...soft robes, comfortable beds, nice little touches. Friendly staff. Will definitely return..don't miss the rooftop bar for view, cocktails and atmosphere..shame to have to leave!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your post, SLC_2013. We are glad that you appreciated our history and design--we hope you will be making a return visit soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We've travelled around the world and stayed at some very cool hotels. The Refinery is definitely super cool. From the Rooftop Bar to the Hatbox Restaurant in the back, everything was very well put together. But the best part of our 3 night stay was the staff. Great bartenders, great front desk staff, great doormen. They were all so friendly, accommodating and thoughtful. My wife and I will be back for more. I'm pretty sure our entire group felt the same way. 1/28/14 - Thanks Refinery.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brandman3000
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Your kind words regarding our team are greatly appreciated, Brandman3000. Thank you for your post--we look forward to your next visit.