“Simply Perfect!”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here for a long pre-Christmas holiday weekend in December. The hotel is very centrally located in mid-town and we found it quite convenient for our weekend adventures. We were impressed as soon as we arrived. The hotel is beautiful and chic, but not in any way pretentious. We were warmly greeted at the door and at the front desk. The staff was so welcoming, friendly and efficient. We were promptly checked in and we headed to our room - which was lovely and very well appointed (we had one of the ATELIER Executive suites which has a very comfortable sitting area in addition to the sleeping area). The bathroom was lovely, quite large with plenty of space. The bed was quite comfortable and we slept well.... that is until we both got the flu. We were out of commission for 2 days and you know there is nothing worse than being that sick than being that sick away from home in a hotel. But we felt so at home and comfortable in our room that it made the bad experience tolerable. We kept saying how thankful we were that we found this hotel and how miserable we would have been if we had been anywhere else. The Refinery will definitely be our go-to NYC hotel for our future trips. We cannot imagine staying anywhere else. Thank you for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Select one of the ATELIER Executive suites
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TobaniSeattle
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

While we are sorry that the flu interrupted your holiday, we are happy that you found us and that you enjoyed a comfortable and relaxing stay. We hope you will be visiting again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,310)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

After my first review in June, I stayed at the Refinery Hotel for two more visits during the summer. It's now January and I miss it- it felt like my second home! I read someone's review that said he was 56 and too old for this hotel but I'm 58 and thought it was amazing! High quality linens, natural materials, wood floors, great bathroom, cool night lights, and most of all, a wonderful staff. They are friendly and helpful. A big shout-out to Basha, who went out of his way to give me an umbrella because rain was expected, walk a block to hail me a taxi, and just made my stays even more enjoyable. The Refinery makes a connection between its location in the garment district and its emphasis on great design. It has a restaurant with food sourced from the greater NY area, excellent cocktails and reasonable prices (just wish the noise level was a bit lower- the only place my age comes into play!). The rooftop bar is awesome, especially if you go on off-hours, and the hand-crafted cocktails were refreshing on a warm summer's night. I wish I could stay there tonight! This will always be my go-to hotel in NYC. Thanks, Refinery.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mindy N

Mindy N--we are happy to be your go-to home away from home in NYC and look forward to welcoming you back to Refinery Hotel soon. Thank you for your post.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Beautiful hotel in convenient area near midtown, Rock. Center, Times Square and many subway lines. The Refinery is Chic without being off putting, equally welcoming to diverse clientele that includes hipsters and oldsters, families and business travelers. Rooftop bar is a near miracle. True urban feel, neither generic nor precious. Close to everything. Interior rooms are very quiet, at the expense of view. Service is unpretentiously impeccable.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Michael S

Thank you for your review, Michael S. We are happy that you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay and hope you will be making a second visit in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel. As a seasoned traveller I have never stayed anywhere (and probably will never) stay in a hotel as good as this again. As an owner and a manager of commercial businesses , we will be using examples of the customer service at The Refinery for training to improve our businesses. These guys seriously get it!!
We arrived before Xmas and was meant to leave a couple of days after New Years, just after the big snow storm. Our flights were cancelled, delayed and cancelled again. We checked out 3 times but kept coming back, only to experience the best hotel service ever (even at 1am in the morning). The assistance given by the staff ( in particular Rinaldo) made a frustrating experience tolerable.
From the time you arrive and meet the friendliest and most helpful doormen to the smiling faces at reception ever time you pass the experience is welcoming. Both my partner and cannot thank you all enough. To have staff that love their jobs means the culture set from the top is right, well done.
We were lucky enough to spend New Years at the roof top bar. What an awesome place and away for the chaos of Times Square.
If I was to fault one thing it is the food. We got room service once. It arrived on a tray in a plastic container and a paper bag. The food was soggy and not nice. You guys are better than this, my tip for improving get it up to the standard of the service. That said, the unbelievable service of "nothing is too much trouble" "how can we make you stay more enjoyable" allows you one small glitch.
I could write a novel on this hotel and all of the little things they do right, it is those little things that make a difference. Biggest thank you to the staff.
Great location, walking distance to so much, great place to stay!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AussieS5Richard

Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated, AussieS5Richard, and we thank you for your feedback as we continue to refine our services. We will look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

As soon as we walked through the door we were greeted with the friendliest staff, and that kindness lasted throughout our entire stay. The room was spacious and had a very fresh, fun feel to it. The Rooftop bar was a wonderful place to just relax by the fireplace and enjoy time with friends. The overall atmosphere of the hotel was wonderful and everyone there is looking to accommodate.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your post, gkktravel. Customer care is very important to us and we are glad to have provided a warm and welcoming stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband, 16-year old daughter, and my father-in-law arrived before a mean snowstorm on January 2nd. From the moment our taxi pulled up to the curb until we left on the 5th, we were delighted with the Refinery. We shared a double queen room, while "pops" had the king suite.
As someone who appreciates uniqueness, I enjoyed the history of the hotel building and the decor. The location proved even better than we first thought. The staff is friendly in a natural way, the hotel is clean+, and as far as temperature goes - we found it more on the cooler side. Age has nothing to do with a stay here (we ranged in age from 16 - 71). I found the hotel on tripadvisor and quickly became a hero in my family. Everyone loved it!!

Room Tip: While the King room was beautiful, it was a little big for grandpa on his own. We thought we might c...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KathSVW
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

We are happy you found us, KathSVW, and that you and your family enjoyed the visit. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

In the very hip garment district,this property is great for roaming Manhattan by foot. New and sexy from the décor of the bedroom to the leather ties on the bellmen to the fabulous drinks at the rooftop bar. The room was spacious and fun with frivolous murals on the wall and Le Labo Santal bath products which I adored. Everyone was helpful and kind. I felt so comfortable and at ease here. I could see this place being really fun as a single person yet I enjoyed it just as much with a baby and 6 year old in tow.
Don't forget to take in the view of The Empire State Building at the very cool rooftop bar. Delicious parmesan fries there too :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting, Shonna R--we hope you will be making a return visit soon.