“Review Depends on Age”

Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Review Depends on Age”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I am 56 and obviously rate things dependent on my experiences and values. My priorities in a hotel are cleanliness, warmth and quality. I cannot fault the hotel for cleanliness nor quality as far as the bathroom; I do not feel the same about the rest of the room. I really consider it average to my likes but can see why others would rate it higher and do not want to mislead others by just listing it as average because it does have some unique features. I do not prefer industrial chic in my hotels. I have also stayed at the Andaz several blocks up and find it very similar. I want a room with nice soft lighting and warm materials which seems to be a consistent feeling at many hotels with higher prices (not by much) and I guess I feel they are worth it. The rooms seem bigger than they are because of high ceilings. The floor and walls I suspect were the intent of the designer when the building was converted to convey that factory style. In the bathroom it works because old style tile and real brass does exude warmth. I will complain that like many HVAC systems in hotels I have stayed in ,the lowest temperature allowed is higher than what I am comfortable with and opening the window which did work was a must. If the system actually would produce the temperature I set, the room would have been more comfortable without opening the window to the extra noises of the street. This issue seems to be prevalent in many hotels across the entire price spectrum.I will add that someone decided the hotel needed a blast furnace at the registration area well above the needs of the registrants just coming out of the cold. The staff at the desk was very nice and acknowledged the reason I was starting to sweat. The one feature this hotel has that I will rate as excellent is the location to Penn Station and the ability to walk there with luggage. I stayed right before Christmas and getting a taxi takes longer than the actual walk! The bottom line is I felt this hotel was better suited to my near 30 year old child noting his tastes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
We appreciate your feedback and thoughtful post, Hopman6. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and thank you for sharing the details of your experience. We hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I don't usually take the time out to write a review unless my experience was exceptionally horrible or exceptionally wonderful. In this case, it is the latter. For my birthday, my husband surprised me with an overnight stay at the Refinery Hotel and a Broadway show. From the second we entered the hotel until the second we left, we were treated like royalty. I'm sure you can agree that poor customer service can tarnish even the most glamorous hotel stays, however, at the Refinery Hotel, that is not a concern because their customer relations are stellar! After being shown to our room, which was incredibly vintage chic, we went down to Parker & Quinn, the hotel restaurant for some cocktails and light fare. The drinks were delicious as was the food. The ambiance, décor and service were all immaculate.
The central location of the Refinery Hotel makes it easily accessible to all NYC attractions. We were able to walk to the theater for our Broadway show.
We capped off the night at the Hotel's rooftop which showcased breathtaking views of the NYC skyline, including, a Christmas Colored Empire state building. The atmosphere oozes with sexiness. If you are looking for an overnight stay in a swanky, trendy atmosphere that rips at the seams with good hospitality, REFINERY HOTEL IS YOUR SPOT! I know, I will absolutely be returning. See you there :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We will look forward to your next stay with us, Angela C, and thank you for your kind words.
braunschweig
Reviewed January 7, 2014

very friendly staff, helpful and well informed.
Hotel is situated right in the middle of southern manhattan. Most points of interest can be reached by walking. Next Metro Stop is not far away.
Rooms are big enough, well designed, free WIFI, big bathroom, lovely beds.
Roof Terrace is a good place for a "sundowner".
Breakfast is available (important for german people) and an be booked in advance.
Breakfast is a typical english/american one but well tasting and enough for the whole day.
We loved our stay art Refinery`s very much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, marthinoz. We are happy that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us and a full breakfast at Parker & Quinn. We hope you will be visiting us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great location. Fabulous sized room (but then we were in an Atelier suite) which was excellently equipped. Amazing beds, great bathroom, very sound service. Concierge could be noticed up slightly but all in all, a really good experience. Both bars very good and theres a friendly vibe which makes a welcome change from the hip, aloof 'Are you cool enough to stay here?' undercurrent you get from too many of these new hotels. The garment district theme is nicely played without being painful. Couldn't really recommend more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your recommendation, bearsontour_10, we hope you will be visiting us again soon.
Boca Raton
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Loved my visit with my daughter !! We were there during the Columbus Day Parade Week. The rooftop was the most wonderful place in the hotel , I'm not going to rate the food or Rest. As they were still getting the kinks out of this boutique hotel. Staff was fantastic . Yes it was expensive but just what we thought. On the downside. We were on the 11th floor and still quite noisy I think there should be room for food we bring back to the room , but if that's all the downside. Not bad!!! Felt special. Felt safe , slept in a cloud .would return .

Stayed October 2013
We look forward to your return visit, Deb d, and thank you for your post.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We were a little worried staying here we have two young, rambunctious, boys. But the staff was totally accommodating to our needs, very friendly to our boys, even giving them high fives, and we felt very much at home for our whole stay. It's worth the price for location and service, they just need a pool to be the perfect place.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank HamboneandTank
Thank you for your review, HamboneandTank, we hope you and your family will be returning to New York and Refinery Hotel soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed in the Refinery with our 14 and 10 year old children just after New Year. We were all very impressed with the location, the size of the room, the comfort of the beds, the free wifi and the restaurant.
The staff at reception made the visit special from the start asking whether it was our first trip to New York and giving us a room with a view of the Empire State building on hearing that it was the children's first trip to NYC.

The doormen were very helpful and all the staff we encountered were very warm and efficient.

Food was good with plenty of things to keep the children happy.

Location is superb between 5th and 6th Avenues and 4 blocks from the Empire State.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank chevreville
Thank you for posting. We are happy to have made your family's first visit to New York special, chevreville, and look forward to your next stay with us.