“My stay at the Refinery Hotel in NY, a wonderful experience”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Geneva, Switzerland
“My stay at the Refinery Hotel in NY, a wonderful experience”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was my 1st trip back to NY in 18 years and after alot of searching on internet I finally decided on The Refinery and I was really very pleased with my choice. I stayed there 8 nights. Beautiful, modern, trendy boutique hotel. Upon arrival I was told that I would be upgraded to a bigger room..(room 503, no special view however...) and what a surprise, I was given a big double room, spacious, very comfortable bed and linen, beautiful bathroom wt a big walk in shower. As I was there for my B.day, the lovely young lady at the reception sent a bottle of red wine, wt 3 delicious mini cupcakes, with a note up to my room. The staff are all so nice, smiling, efficient, most helpful. I needed tickets for a musical and they found me great seats.
I highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely return there during a future visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Your recommendation means a lot to us, JulietDaher. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will be staying with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This has to be the friendliest hotel I've ever stayed at in Manhattan, and believe me I've stayed in a lot of hotels in the Big Apple. The staff are all the warmest, friendliest and most helpful bunch in town. Special thanks go out to Sammy and Basha for their fabulous welcome, and for greeting us with warmth and sincerity by our names each time they saw us, we felt genuinely welcome.

Nothing was too much trouble at this hotel. The rooms are lovely and big with high ceilings and super comfortable beds, decor is a little bit masculine for my taste but it's stylish. Closet space is limited like a lot of NY hotels these days so for longer stays don't expect to hang all your clothes up! But rooms have all you need, iron and board, slippers, luxurious dressing gowns and just to emphasise again the beds are like heaven. Lovely bathroom products.

Ask for a room at the back if you want a quieter space, otherwise the streets are noisy, but not a problem.

Do eat in the restaurant downstairs it is not your typical hotel fayre, it's young funky and you can have anything from burgers to macaroni cheese, flat bread pizza and everything In between. Cocktails too.

There's a rooftop bar which is lovely for open space and star gazing, plus spectacular views across the city and the Empire State Building. Delicious prosecco.

Times Square in easy walking distance as well as 5th Avenue shops and all the bows, buttons and glitter of the garment District shops. Plus lots of great costume jewellery stores on 6th. Fabulous manicures just over the road.

We loved this hotel and the genuinely friendly team really made our stay. Thank you all.

Room Tip: For quiet rooms ask to be at. The back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debbie M
We are so glad that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay, Debbie M.--thank you for posting. We look forward to your next visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2013

howdy, i usually dont write much, but after 2 nights at the refinery hotel ( stuck for a while here since i made a booking 6 months ago and at this point its hard to change due to the high season in the city or i WISH I CAN CHANGE ), i would say save ur money and stay at a real boutique hotel in soho such as the nolitan or crospy or even nomad , this hotel is just simply a Marriott with staff that smile more, otherwise nothing special, roof top is out of the question, forget about going up without being judged from head to toe by the guys there ( separate management with a pimp at the door who talk to visitors in a un-comfy way ) as a bouncer ur job doesnt include questions like ( what brings you here) , food, is another story, in all of the major boutique hotels iv stayed they would provide u with a collection of places they made deals with around. this hotel provides 0 for that. not even one real menu, so far that takes it all, otherwise most hotels do have comfy beds and clean bathrooms, ( plus the rooms have furniture that was picked by someone who knows nothing about hotels specially wardrobes ) so if u r a person who care about details this is a huge disappointment, if chains like sheraton and marriot make u happy, go there because its much cheaper for some amount of service, room are bigger yes but with no use if the service provided is less than expected from a hotel that claims to be a boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank nawaf1982
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We recently went for our first visit to NYC and stayed at the Refinery. The hotel is new and has very modern/unique amenities. The bed was super comfortable and our room ended in "11" which was very quiet (since the street out front can be quite noisy). The staff go out of their way to be helpful and we did not find one that was not. The highlight of the hotel is the fantastic rooftop lounge which we visited on 3 different occasions during our stay. Thurs-Sat nights are hopping up there and reservations are recommended. The view of the Empire State building is beautiful at night. The location of the hotel gave us access to several subways/bus routes and walking distance from Empire State, Bryant Park (great cafe), Times Square and shopping. We were celebrating our anniversary and the hotel staff recognized that with a bottle of wine & bonbons. We couldn't have picked a better spot to celebrate this occasion! Way to go Refinery! I'm sure you will continue to get stellar reviews.

Room Tip: Our room ended in "11" which did not have a great view, but was away from the street and v...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat P
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for your post, pierrep1. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and anniversary celebration--we look forward to your returning for a second visit soon.
Zadar, Croatia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

It was my first visit to NY and I was lucky I had stayed in Refinery hotel.The hotel is perfectly designed to every detailed.The room are very comfortable and clean,the bathroom is also very clean.The staff at hotel is very friendly and very kind and helpful.View from my room was on Empire State Building,amazing!The hotel is in a great location.I recommend Refinery hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Slavica D
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We strive for perfection every day, Slavica D, and thank you for your review. We hope you will be staying with us again soon.
Lima
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Good job! We loved the Refinery. It is central, price/quality is good, but the attention to detail and service are very good. The hotel is perfectly designed to every detailed. It is lightly theamed, which makes you understand what is behind the design. Service is very good. People are super friendly, rooms are impecable, room service and food at the restaurant are both delicious. The bar at the lobby is really nice for a quick drink or a long stay. The roof top bar is superb.
Rooms can be slightly on the small side, but this is midtown NYC. If you re ok with the area, I would definitly recomend it.

Room Tip: Choose front rooms and high floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AMOPeru
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Your recommendation is much appreciated, AMOPeru. Thank you for posting, we hope you will visit us again soon.
Irvine, California, USA
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my second time visiting the hotel and it was even better than my first time. The location is great, and it is right around the corner from Bryant Park which is the perfect place to stop for a drink at the end of a day. The staff at the hotel really make it something special. Ask for Matthew when you get there and then have Renita or Albert help you with your arrangements. Then go up to a great room which is really much larger than what you expect in the city. Finally enjoy yourself when you are escorted up to the rooftop bar which is one of the most spectacular views of the Empire State Building you can imagine. The hotel is great, but it is really the friendliness of the staff which makes it such an enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ron M
We are always proud to be considered the best, Ron74--thank you, again, for your review. We will be looking forward to your next stay with us.