“Best place to stay in the city”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #28 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Irvine, California, USA
“Best place to stay in the city”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my second time visiting the hotel and it was even better than my first time. The location is great, and it is right around the corner from Bryant Park which is the perfect place to stop for a drink at the end of a day. The staff at the hotel really make it something special. Ask for Matthew when you get there and then have Renita or Albert help you with your arrangements. Then go up to a great room which is really much larger than what you expect in the city. Finally enjoy yourself when you are escorted up to the rooftop bar which is one of the most spectacular views of the Empire State Building you can imagine. The hotel is great, but it is really the friendliness of the staff which makes it such an enjoyable place to stay.

1 Thank Ron M
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
We are always proud to be considered the best, Ron74--thank you, again, for your review. We will be looking forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Overall a good stay! Check-in and check-out were easy and employees friendly. The hotel and room is well-decorated in something that vaguely resembles 1930s NYC. The room was comfortable and had everything I needed. (Good shades, sheets, a safe, plenty of outlets.) Free, open wifi. Hotel was cool without trying too hard. Roof bar was a neat atmosphere, but the crowd in both bars is probably late 30s-early 50s.

My room was a little noisy, but not too bad for a hotel in a busy area. The doormen were always chatting to each other and not opening the door. At least they weren’t ripping off tourists with overpriced car services like you see at the bigger hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms facing either street will have some truck noise at night. Not too bad for NYC.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glad that you enjoyed your overall experience, AndyMell. Thank you for your post. We look forward to welcoming you back to Refinery Hotel in the future.
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were impressed with the hotel and staff from start to finish. Beautifully modern vibe - loved the wood floors in the rooms with the high ceilings. Very clean. Rooftop bar was so cool! Definitely would come back here to stay! Great getaway for couples!

Room Tip: Stay away from the delivery side of the hotel - noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ingrid S
Thank you for your review, ijs2010--we look forward to your return stay.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2013

When I first walked into the Refinery I felt I was in a funky rich environment that immediately gave me the feeling that the rest of the hotel wasn't going to let me down. Consistent quality, quiet elegance with the right amount of friendly service combined with respectfulness and anonymity that made you feel like you weren't being intruded on with the knowledge that conversation or a few laughs were always available when called upon. Great place with very personable service that always made you feel like the "guest".. The boys out front always greeted me by my name whenever I returned and had a taxi waiting when I gave them the five minute warning. Thanks to Matty, Ray and Azziz up front for making my stay appreciated each time I walked in and to Alberto for his consistent thoughtfulness that made me look important when I brought in guests. Epic place and would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a "home" in a big town. It just gets better each time I return.

Room Tip: Four to a room? Room 408 is 400 sq ft. Plenty of room to stretch out.
1 Thank Tambalini
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, Tambalini. We greatly look forward to your next stay with us.
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Wonderfully renovated boutique hotel in an awesome location near Bryant Park. Outstanding service - everyone was warm and welcoming. Loved the rooftop lounge. Would have given the Refinery five stars but for a couple of issues with the room. While it was very spacious and bright (loved the high ceilings and large window) and very nicely appointed, the queen bed was pushed against the wall with only one nightstand - a bit awkward getting in and out of bed and no place to put cell phone, water, etc. The bathroom was small with limited vanity space and not great lighting. Also there was a bit of street noise which may have been because of the room location. Overall, a very nice stay - we hope to visit again soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bootsie27
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, Bootsie27. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to post and hope you will visit us again in the future.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Refinery for our honeymoon. Upon check-in, we were very amazed by the friendliness and happiness of the stuff. When we got to the room, we found a bottle of champagne with a Congratulation card signed by "Your friends from Refinery". The room was incredibly setup to welcome us and help us celebrate . Our stay at Refinery was a great and a heart touching experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us, wessy_wiwi, thank you for your review--we hope you will be making a return visit soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in a room for two days in early October. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and the location of the actual hotel is very good. Room service was excellent and the food was great. Out of the five NY hotels that I've have stayed in the past few years the Refinery is definitely my favorite.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was facing 38th street, the sound from outside did not effect my sleep at all.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are proud to be a favorite, R1983T. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.