“Awesome hotel!!!!!”

Ranked #27 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Awesome hotel!!!!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have never written a hotel review before but after the wonderful experience at the Refinery I felt compelled to do so. I am picky and my wife's says I have OCD so bear that in mind.
First the hotel is brand new prohibition era style coupled with modern chic. I really liked the interior design. The room was great and appreciated the in room art work and modern features like decent iPod docks and plasma tv, comfy bed and just all round great style.
Second thing I loved was that its actually a very cool place to be, great rooftop and lobby bars. The attached restaurant offers a wonderful selection and when my wife and I visited it was buzzing.
Third and best thing was the staff....each and every person was so friendly in a genuine and helpful way, particularly the lobby bar tender who's knowledge of James Bond is only surpassed by his cocktail making ability. I really cannot say enough.
Overall this was a great experience and I left feeling like I wanted to give everyone a big hug and say "Thanks!" for making my stay over the past 7 days such a great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sara H
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for posting, Sara H. Your acknowledgement of our various amenities and staff mean a lot to us and we hope you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My son and I visited from South Carolina for our 'New York' trip to see Spiderman on Broadway. The staff were extremely warm and friendly, particularly the female manager . Love the decor! The street was a bit noisy, but I suppose there are quieter rooms in the hotel...no big deal really. We slept very well in the extremely comfortable bed and linens. I might add that I did not think about the early arrival of our flight and the staff was very accommodating to get us checked in early without making us feel like an inconvenience. Top notch hotel. Really would be best suited for a romantic getaway, but was great for our family trip, too. Thank you to all of the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
It's wonderful that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We hope that you and your family will visit Refinery Hotel again soon!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just stayed one night,but I appreciated the facility, room design and extremely helpful staff. This is a casual, hip environment in a great location for a reasonable price. What's not to like? I plan to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We hope you will be returning soon, richard c--thank you for your post.
Arlington, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Upscale comfort in a perfect New York location. New hotel with a rooftop bar, grand views, large rooms, high ceilings with one negative, loud music in the lobby area. The manager has promised to address the issue

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for your review, Cynthia C! We are following up on the music and hope you will visit us again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed two nights in July and had a nice experience. We've stayed at numerous hotels in NYC and this is one we'll certainly consider revisiting. Are recommending it to another couple to stay in August who are very picky and we think they will like it there.

Pros: great staff, fantastic rooftop lounge, wonderful breakfast, sharply styled rooms.

Cons: Noisy location, a few minor room kinks (shower hard to turn on, easy to mistake setting the housekeeping/privacy switch), bathroom door design doesn't provide 100% privacy (not an issue for us but it may be for some).

Tip: the rooftop is actually run by another company, so any access issues may be outside the control of the hotel. As a hotel guest, we just hit #13 on the elevator after leaving our room and went right up without dealing with any line.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting, coldescape99--we hope you will choose to visit us again and are so glad that you enjoyed our staff's friendliness and the room décor.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is an outstanding hotel. The hotel staff was super friendly - not what you expect in NY. We were able to check in a couple of hours early. I loved the vintage interior, not your standard hotel decor. The location was great for our needs, shopping, going to the theater in Times Square, and close to the subway and Penn Station.

Room Tip: Get one of the interior rooms. Our room was so quiet that my daughter who lives in NY wasn't su...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
So glad that we could exceed expectations, Inklette. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed last night for work and found the hotel a very good choice. My room 1010 was upgraded from the basic level. The upgrade space was especially fine for a solo work traveler. For me, the smaller room would probably not be a good fit. I'm 6'2" tall so having enough space is always important to me. The hotel is mid block and my room on 10 was quite. The bed is extremely comfortable. The work space is good size with conveniently located electrical outlets and wired internet if you need it.

My favorite part of the hotel was the bath. Larger shower only which is perfect for me. Large mirror was high enough for me and there was good shelf space. The bathroom itself was also of a comfortable size, larger than most NYC hotels, though not the largest. Still I would pick it over others. For those needing very good lighting for hair, makeup or contacts, you may be a bit light challenged. If management is reading this, note there was room for a make up mirror to be added and I think this would fix it. Lighting overall was good with a nice easy to understand switch system.

On check-in, though my room was not ready early (before 3) the staff did a good job of finding out my room preferences and providing them.

I ate at the restaurant, loud and more of bar crowd than a dining crowd and the service was a bit off (slow and brought my entree before my salad but they recovered quickly) The lamb tagliatelle was wonderful. Prices reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your post, DougBoston, and for the mirror tip--we do supply mirrors upon request. We look forward to your next visit.