“Lovely Hotel”

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this very new hotel. The service was absolutely impeccable. The room was very clean and had high-end decor. The staff was extremely attentive. I was celebrating my birthday. In our room, I found a handwritten card wishing me a Happy Birthday and a gift. They made me feel very special. The rooftop lounge was stunning, a view of the Empire State building. Cocktails were delicious. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: We did not have any unusual issues with noise in our room. Remember, you will be staying in NYC, a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We greatly appreciate your comments regarding our staff and service. Thank you for posting, RoseLady692, we can’t wait to have you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here 8 nights from late May and they were still finishing the facilities (no gym, no lobby bar, breakfast from the complimentary to a limited selection, empty mini bar, etc).

Couple of issues one should be aware of; the rooms tend to be noisy, the windows do not block much sound (it's the frames, double glass are useless if the frames leak -- I wonder how the rooms will feel with the winter weather). Our first room was towards the 39th street and there was simply too much construction and other noise, and we asked for a new room. The new room was towards 6th Ave and better, not quiet by any means but acceptable.

Check the size of the room you're booking. We had a booking for 8 nights and the first room was small, really Small. Considering that we were staying there for 8 nights and the soft opening price wasn't really that great, it was almost like an insult. Luckily the new room was bigger, not huge by any means but acceptable. We never had any view worth mentioning. Each time the door to the room next door was closed the wall shake so don't be surprised if you can hear or feel your neighbors.

Hopefully the housekeeping has improved since, as a new hotel there was some obvious dust, we got housekeeping coming in despite the do not disturb light, one day we got no housekeeping at all (despite the room being empty most of the day), and often the housekeeping was there around 6pm when we just arrived from the city to prepare for dinner.

I have to stay that from this experience I'm quite reluctant to stay in a soft opening hotel in the future unless the price is really good. As our price was about the same we got from other hotels of similar quality and the list prices for Refinery were higher, my expectations were much higher.

We didn't like the toiletries, not a biggie but the consistency was "interesting" and "Made in China" didn't help either.

And to the pros; the location is excellent if you want to be in this part of the city. All the shopping, sights, Bryant Park, etc.

The design of the hotel is nice, not the finest design hotel I've seen but nothing to complain about. The lobby bar wasn't open yet, nor was the rooftop bar, the complimentary wine by the lifts was a nice touch and made the soft opening easier to bear. The breakfast needed some work at the time but the small plates in the restaurant were fine (we only ate there once as we had had a late lunch and didn't fancy a full dinner).

Decoration, linens, room, etc. everything was fine.

The absolute best part of the hotel was the staff. Everyone was friendly, helpful and made your day or stay excellent. Full five star staff, in fact I'd probably give the property just two or three stars without the staff due to the price/value during the soft opening. I'm bad to remember names but from the door to the lifts, everyone deserves a plusplus for their efforts.

PS. The hotel WiFi has an issue I noticed in the first room. The WiFi is available on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies and the latter deteriorates easier due to the walls and other obstacles. When both frequencies use the same WiFi name (SSID), you cannot control which frequency you will be using and may get connected at 5 GHz, looks good but it barely works. This is a known issue and often people use different SSID for the different frequencies.

Room Tip: Get the largest room you can afford and/or ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank petriojala
Thank you for posting, petriojala, your review of our staff means so much to us and we look forward to when you return.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just finished a six-night stay at the Refinery, so we got very familiar with the place. The good, the bad, and the fixable.
First off, in real estate and hotels location is everything and this one is superb. Walking distance to Broadway, Rockefeller Center, close to subway lines. Cabbie had trouble finding it because there's no real sign yet, but that is a minor issue.
We got one of the corner rooms with a view of the Empire State Building the first night. Good size, very hip and modern. Unfortunately the only sitting area was two small and very uncomfortable chairs, which works for a night but not for a long stay.
Apparently other guests had complained about the chairs, but the day manager was great in giving us a double bed room that had a couch. She also provided a water heater for coffee, a microwave and a small fridge.
Room was really nice size for New York, bathroom was nice, and shower was great. But the ice machines don't work yet so we had to order it from downstairs and when they brought it it was in such a small container it barely made two drinks.
Rooftop bar opened during our stay and it was spectacular. I highly recommend it, but one issue is they dedicate one of the three elevators to it, making for long elevator waits at times for people staying there.
Staff is fantastic here, everyone trying to be very helpful. Beware of mini bar charges, though, they tried to charge us 10 bucks for a bottle of water that the bellhop told us was free when we checked in. They did take it off the bill.
This property tries a bit too hard to be hip but we liked it a lot. Even had a woman pouring complimentary wine by the elevator each evening, though one day when my wife and I came back from walking in the heat and were a bit disheveled the woman pouring asked my wife first if she was a hotel guest which I thought was quite disrespectful.
Again, this hotel has some early opening issues and some quirks. But we ended up with a great room in a great location and would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a double with a couch!
3 Thank tmthyp
Thank you for your post, tmthyp. We are so pleased that we were able to provide a satisfactory solution of an upgraded double room for the remainder of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Jersey St Helier
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Even before arriving at the hotel Lauren (reservations) helped us with every requirement / need and nothing was a problem as she was always willing to help and go the extra mile. All the staff in the hotel are really nice, friendly and always smiling making you feel really welcome when you arrive at the hotel one of the guys (Patrick) ordered us a pizza at 2am to our hotel room which was really nice and helpful as we were hungry after a night out in Manhattan. The hotel is really nicely finished and the rooms are a decent size for NYC and finished to a high standard. We went to the opening of the roof top bar which has lovely views of the Empire State building we had a few cocktails which weren't to my taste but that's just me. I would recommend the hotel on staff alone but the rooms are added bonus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, Rossmurphy. I am so glad we could provide a smooth and enjoyable experience, start to finish. Can't wait to have you back!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We needed a room with 2 queen beds as our daughter was with us. I had a heck of a time finding a hotel in New York with 2 beds that wasn't cramped in to 300 sq. ft. The Refinery had just opened and welcomed us in a very warm and friendly manner....esp. Basha, who couldn't do enough for us...he also gave great recommendations of what to do and where to go in the city.

The room was 400 sq. ft. with at least 12' ceilings (white concrete) and gorgeous hardwood floors...so no carpet...Hurray! It had a minimalist feel to it, but in no way fell short of our expectations. The bathroom was beautiful, also spacious. The Frette linens on the beds were unbelievable, and the beds themselves were so comfortable. If you want a quite room ask for an "inside" room...one that doesn't face the street either 37th or 38th.

We loved the location...midtown, and close to everything. The restaurant had just opened, so still getting organized, but we enjoyed our breakfast and drinks in the bar one night. Oh yes, speaking of drinks...they serve wine or Proseco at 5p.m for an hour or so in the lobby....nice touch!!

We'll definitely return!!

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan B
Thank you for your post, Susan B—so glad that our location, spacious rooms, hardwood floors, and linens made your stay pleasant and comfortable. We look forward to your return trip!
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2013

From businesss adventures, my travel has taken me to a few places. I have found that customer service though the meaning has changed (must ask for everything, and customer service is not doing me a favor if they try) making me not very comfortable in my past stays in various hotels (no loyalty for me, none for Hotel). I gues it takes a special group of managers, and staff having pride in what they choice for a proffession to make me a believer again. In this month of June I have stayed at the Refinary Hotel of New York, just to give another Hotel a try, and found a new home away from home. There service is outstanding, managers greet you at the door. (wow) I'm a walking distance away from the business district a need to be, and cost less for me because there is no need for arrangement of transport service. The roof lounge just opened and on my second stay was able to enjoy and unwind from a very stressful day. The comfort of my room has super exceeded my expectations, and any request received VIP standard. So if I ever hear will the real authentic customer service Hotel please stand up, I should see the Refinary Hotel of New York in the front row. Well be back very soon. Thank you

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your post, Enzo f. We are so happy to be your home away from home and can't wait to have you back.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We tried out this boutique hotel for 2 nights last week. The hotel is very nicely designed overall. It falls apart on strange things such as uniforms for the staff (overalls and denim shirts with a distracting and odd pin full of charms on the shirt pocket--the puzzling hoedown, clogging reference is incongruent and clashes with this unnecessary jewelry to be sure) and sheets (extremely scratchy.) They do not have room service yet, but the staff went out of their way to bring up coffee and tea from the hotel restaurant. The bathrooms are excruciatingly small, even by NYC standards, and they gave no thought at all to women who need light and space on the vanity to do their makeup. They provide top notch toiletries (La Labo) but no Q-tips or cotton balls or that type of necessity. The staff tries very hard to help but are woefully untrained. Specifically, none of the concierges had any idea about suggestions for restaurants in the area without looking at Yelp and "guessing because they have many stars on the reviews." Seriously, not one of the well meaning staff at the desk were familiar with the area or what to suggest. While I understand that the hotel is new, this should be a requirement before working the front desk and definitely as a concierge... The hotel rooms, while adequately sized, have hard wood floors which will be very cold in the winter I would imagine. The curtains, fixtures and artwork are stunning, however. Our room was very quiet, so that was a plus. Free Wifi was appreciated. Sadly, the incredibly gorgeous restaurant is to be avoided at all cost unless just going for drinks. The food is appealing as airline food (we had hummus, cheeseburger, chicken, bbq pizza and green beans-- all uneatable.) Again, service was excellent and well meaning. Tried 60 Thompson the next few nights and had a lovely stay, so would suggest this over The Refinery.

Room Tip: High floor and corner.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank dtbPasadena_CA
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, dtbPasadena_CA. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to Parker & Quinn as well as other aspects of our rooms and service. Your comments are very important to us as we continue to improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.