“The staff really make this hotel something special”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Jersey St Helier
“The staff really make this hotel something special”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Even before arriving at the hotel Lauren (reservations) helped us with every requirement / need and nothing was a problem as she was always willing to help and go the extra mile. All the staff in the hotel are really nice, friendly and always smiling making you feel really welcome when you arrive at the hotel one of the guys (Patrick) ordered us a pizza at 2am to our hotel room which was really nice and helpful as we were hungry after a night out in Manhattan. The hotel is really nicely finished and the rooms are a decent size for NYC and finished to a high standard. We went to the opening of the roof top bar which has lovely views of the Empire State building we had a few cocktails which weren't to my taste but that's just me. I would recommend the hotel on staff alone but the rooms are added bonus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, Rossmurphy. I am so glad we could provide a smooth and enjoyable experience, start to finish. Can't wait to have you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We needed a room with 2 queen beds as our daughter was with us. I had a heck of a time finding a hotel in New York with 2 beds that wasn't cramped in to 300 sq. ft. The Refinery had just opened and welcomed us in a very warm and friendly manner....esp. Basha, who couldn't do enough for us...he also gave great recommendations of what to do and where to go in the city.

The room was 400 sq. ft. with at least 12' ceilings (white concrete) and gorgeous hardwood floors...so no carpet...Hurray! It had a minimalist feel to it, but in no way fell short of our expectations. The bathroom was beautiful, also spacious. The Frette linens on the beds were unbelievable, and the beds themselves were so comfortable. If you want a quite room ask for an "inside" room...one that doesn't face the street either 37th or 38th.

We loved the location...midtown, and close to everything. The restaurant had just opened, so still getting organized, but we enjoyed our breakfast and drinks in the bar one night. Oh yes, speaking of drinks...they serve wine or Proseco at 5p.m for an hour or so in the lobby....nice touch!!

We'll definitely return!!

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan B
Thank you for your post, Susan B—so glad that our location, spacious rooms, hardwood floors, and linens made your stay pleasant and comfortable. We look forward to your return trip!
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2013

From businesss adventures, my travel has taken me to a few places. I have found that customer service though the meaning has changed (must ask for everything, and customer service is not doing me a favor if they try) making me not very comfortable in my past stays in various hotels (no loyalty for me, none for Hotel). I gues it takes a special group of managers, and staff having pride in what they choice for a proffession to make me a believer again. In this month of June I have stayed at the Refinary Hotel of New York, just to give another Hotel a try, and found a new home away from home. There service is outstanding, managers greet you at the door. (wow) I'm a walking distance away from the business district a need to be, and cost less for me because there is no need for arrangement of transport service. The roof lounge just opened and on my second stay was able to enjoy and unwind from a very stressful day. The comfort of my room has super exceeded my expectations, and any request received VIP standard. So if I ever hear will the real authentic customer service Hotel please stand up, I should see the Refinary Hotel of New York in the front row. Well be back very soon. Thank you

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your post, Enzo f. We are so happy to be your home away from home and can't wait to have you back.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We tried out this boutique hotel for 2 nights last week. The hotel is very nicely designed overall. It falls apart on strange things such as uniforms for the staff (overalls and denim shirts with a distracting and odd pin full of charms on the shirt pocket--the puzzling hoedown, clogging reference is incongruent and clashes with this unnecessary jewelry to be sure) and sheets (extremely scratchy.) They do not have room service yet, but the staff went out of their way to bring up coffee and tea from the hotel restaurant. The bathrooms are excruciatingly small, even by NYC standards, and they gave no thought at all to women who need light and space on the vanity to do their makeup. They provide top notch toiletries (La Labo) but no Q-tips or cotton balls or that type of necessity. The staff tries very hard to help but are woefully untrained. Specifically, none of the concierges had any idea about suggestions for restaurants in the area without looking at Yelp and "guessing because they have many stars on the reviews." Seriously, not one of the well meaning staff at the desk were familiar with the area or what to suggest. While I understand that the hotel is new, this should be a requirement before working the front desk and definitely as a concierge... The hotel rooms, while adequately sized, have hard wood floors which will be very cold in the winter I would imagine. The curtains, fixtures and artwork are stunning, however. Our room was very quiet, so that was a plus. Free Wifi was appreciated. Sadly, the incredibly gorgeous restaurant is to be avoided at all cost unless just going for drinks. The food is appealing as airline food (we had hummus, cheeseburger, chicken, bbq pizza and green beans-- all uneatable.) Again, service was excellent and well meaning. Tried 60 Thompson the next few nights and had a lovely stay, so would suggest this over The Refinery.

Room Tip: High floor and corner.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank dtbPasadena_CA
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, dtbPasadena_CA. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to Parker & Quinn as well as other aspects of our rooms and service. Your comments are very important to us as we continue to improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Let's start with the area. Near Bryant Park with is a place that you can bring your little breakfast and enjoy the area and the people. The staff is amazing. Like the way they're dressing...witch mean relax. The roof top terrace. Amazing view. The rooms are so comfortable,
One word, THE BEST. Eat,drink and shop... Everything around.
We will be back.
Pascal and Bernard

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pasdac
Thank you for posting Pasdac—so glad we could provide a complete, well-rounded experience! We look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This Hotel gets five stars all around from me. I stayed this past weekend and I enjoyed every bit of my stay. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The room tho a little small was great and the shower OMG I didn't want to get out lol. The rooftop bar is AMAZING starting with the view, to the decor, to the drinks and service. I will definitely be back. The Refinery Hotel is def my go to hotel when in NYC.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RNBeauty
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, RNBeauty—so glad you enjoyed our showers and rooftop! We look forward to your return.
New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

truly enjoyed our stay at the Refinery Hotel. The staff were courteous, eager to help and always kind. Every trip in or out of the hotel, we could count on Basha for a friendly hello or suggestion on where to eat or shop! Would certainly return the next time we are in NYC

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting, 718Anonymous. We all appreciate your kind words and can’t wait to have you back soon.