“Service above and beyon”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #27 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Irvine, California, USA
“Service above and beyon”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just came back from a trip at the hotel. The rooms are great, very well appointed and very comfortable. However, the staff was terrific. friendly and doing everything they could to make our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: From Renit (front office manager) to Albert (guest service manager) to Matthew who helped with getti...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review, Ron74, and for recognizing our team's great work--we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
nashville
Reviewed June 19, 2013

just came off two and a half weeks in France and London and had a layover in NYC for the night and discovered a gem of a place - The Refinery Hotel. The staff was incredibly helpful and genuinely caring and the finishes and decor were tastefully classic with generous room sizes and really wonderful bath hardware, great ambient lighting and many elegant small touches... will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank timkyne
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
So happy you found us, timkyne, and that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for posting and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is run by friendly and thoughtful staffs, with nice decor.

I booked a room in this hotel as a honeymoon gift for my newly wedded elder sister and my brother in law. I booked this room on short notice, and everything went smoothly, from the booking to the planning!!

After booking the room, I liased with the hotel, asking if they could help me make some nice arrangements for the two lovebirds. Within 12 hours they replied to my query, and immediately were very enthusiastic and kind about the whole thing! Fantastic service!

My sis and my bro in law also had lots of positive things to say about the hotel! They usually always stay at the St. Regis when they are in NY, but they kindly accepted my gift and cancelled their stay at Regis. They were pleased with the hotel, bustling with energy.

The location is also very strategic, it's a 5 mins walk to fifth avenue, grad central, and the subway is nearby! My brother in laws only complaint to me: my sis went on a shopping spree in fifth and Madison Avenue, and he had to lug around 10 shopping bags back to the hotel ;)))

• Stayed June 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review, ChanelxHermes—we always do our best to make every stay relaxing and memorable. We were happy to assist you and your family—we hope you visit soon!
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Visit New York at least 7 days per month for business. Been to pretty much all New York Hotels. Was told by a prior guest at the Refinary Hotel in New york, and took his advice. Extremely Happy I listened. Besides the room having more than I need, but my night sleep was amazingly heaven. The staff I encountered looked slightly young, but had the experience of a 20 year veterans. I had my usual meetings and management couldn't do enough for me. That really hardly happens. The location of the hotel also made it more appealing and easier for my local business meetings. Being on 38th Street you are able to have access for all needs without the high cost of traveling.for night to unwind from a stressful day of business meetings, wine cocktails refreshes the engine. Very couzy, homely, pleasurable staff and management, with a touch of of ambiance that will make you feel your entering a major spa. Definitely returning to the Refinary Hotel

Room Tip: corner rooms on every floor, major view to them
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Antonio S
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
So glad we could provide you with a comfortable stay in the city, Antonio S.! We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your review.
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place was amazing. Coming from the hotel business, I'm very picky on where I stay and the reviews I give hotels. I was very impressed with the ambiance, staff, and service at the Refinery. The owners did an excellent job preparing the property with top notch ammenities and quality products. The staff, from doormen to front desk to restaurant, were extremely helpful, friendly, and attentive. The rooftop bar is going to be something amazing! I look forward to my next trip out to NYC and the Refinery! Thanks again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much, tobias007. We are so happy you chose to review our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return trip!
Waltham, MA
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After reading all the glowing reviews, I booked at the Refinery because it was close to a business meeting. Even with the "new hotel" discount, the room was quite pricey, so my expecations were very high. The hotel succeeds in providing a comfortable bed, a modern and trendy vibe, and excellent customer service. It did fall short of my overall expectations, though, due to the lack of diligent housecleaning (there was visible dust and debris on my floor) and noticeable hallway noise from slamming doors and heels on the hardwoods. The studio king room was smaller than I expected, and didn't have a seating area like the picture on the website. Also, after a long day of travel, I was looking forward to a glass of wine from the mini-bar, but in it, there were no spirits to be found...just soda. Not sure why...it was on the price list, so I presumed it should be there. I called downstairs and asked if the bar could bring a glass of wine, and they obliged, but brought me a full bottle of unopened wine and charged me $50 for it. I was too tired to protest, and just signed the slip. They should have had no problem providing just a glass, which was all I wanted. I would recommend the hotel for its location, but the price should ought to reflect the fact that they still need to work out some kinks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank iwanttogetaway
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review, iwanttogetaway. We are so sorry you were disappointed in our Studio King room and want to assure you that we are currently updating our website to be clearer about our room types. While we are so happy that you enjoyed our bed, we apologize for the continued noise level and look forward to welcoming you back when construction is fully subsided.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel deserves all the glowing reviews. A friendly, helpful (and fetching) staff; clean, new rooms; a fantastic restaurant; free, fast wifi; apples and bottled water in the gym; etc., etc. No complaints. Well done.

About that restaurant, Parker & Quinn: its like The Breslin, with better food and better prices. Not one dish missed the mark. An octopus starter was smoky and fork-cut tender; Arctic char was perfectly cooked, as was an immensely flavorful pork chop. Good sides, drinks, dessert, and atmosphere; fair prices, too. All impressive, especially for a just-opened spot. (The place should, and no doubt will, tune up its course pacing, which was a bit rushed.) If you stay at the Refinery, don't miss a meal at Parker & Quinn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler1983_13
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for the rave review, Traveler1983_13! Your summary says it all and we are so proud to have assisted you during your stay.