“My favorite place to eat in the Soho!”
Review of Jack's Wife Freda

Jack's Wife Freda
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack's Wife Freda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 13,748 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoHo
New York City, New York
“My favorite place to eat in the Soho!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Oh the food is Jack's Wife Freda is delicious! I love the combination of american-Jewish-south African food that mixes into new clean flavors and some very interesting dishes! the food is just in the right amount so you dont feel like a balloon when you leave, and everything i had so far was perfactly cooked!

Visited June 2013

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“YOU GOTTA EAT HERE”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Service was impecable, as was the food and coffee. I went on a budget and discovering little hidden gems such as this really save you money. Its extremely small, so be prepared to wait a little bit if you go at lunch/dinner rush times. Its worth the wait :)

Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice little place in SoHo”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a great spontaneous dinner at Jack's wife Freda! Many locals, few tourists. Perfect place to visit after a walk through SoHo... Try the artihoke dip!

Visited December 2012
Rockville, MD
“bistro style, food quality is mixed”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

First let me say that the address of this restaurant needs to be corrected--it is in New York City, not New York Mills.
My husband, daughter, and I decided to take a chance on this place for dinner while walking around Soho. It looked cute and wasn't as crowded as the restaurant we had originally intended to go to. The menu was appealing--several items that I would call "comfort food" though with some interesting features. I ordered the special lamb chops with mint ($28), which came with a Mediterranean-style salad. My husband ordered the beef lasagna ($15), which came with what I think were dandelion greens. My daughter ordered a vegetable curry bowl ($16). My daughter liked the curry bowl, and the lasagna was very good, but the lamb chops were disappointing because one was overdone and not at all tender (although the other one was done right and tasty). For $28 I would expect better quality and consistency in terms of doneness and tenderness. I was also disappointed in the mint lemonade, which was fizzy and did not have much of a lemon taste.
After we were there a little while the place got busy and also very noisy--it was hard to talk to each other, which detracts from the cozy bistro atmosphere.
Service was OK but not especially attentive.

• Visited June 2013
na
“Quaint little restaurant in soho”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a small place and when the weather is beautiful it's a great - the windows are all open and the tables are set up outside.

Food seems to be isreali inspired. Loved the eggs Benedict, but didn't particularly enjoy the eggs shakshuka....the eggs were pretty much raw...

• Visited June 2013