“Outstanding, Unique Meal”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The food here is fantastic . . . Chef/Owner Angelo Sosa has done a great job once again! Yes, it is very pricey and seating is a bit tight (but this is Manhattan so these aren't really unexpected). Portions are small but that's the perfect reason to try several things! I recommend going with a group and sharing a few small plates as there are so many good things to try. Although everything was very good, the braised queso fresco, blistered shishito peppers, fish tacos, and sweet corn dish (esquites) were the standouts. Oh, and the margaritas are extra tasty!

There are newer reviews for Anejo Tequileria

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Traveling with my adult sons, this was a place they really wanted hit. We ate here after visiting a museum nearby and were all very hungry. The food was good but small portions. We ordered several appetizers to share. I asked for additional tortillas for one of our appetizers and was told they would cost an additional $5. Thought that was high for small tortillas. I got the "best margarita in NY" for $20 - it was a margarita... All in all, everything was good just a bit pricey for Mexican fare.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The food at Anejo is actually very good. The service on the other hand is very poor. We had to ask multiple times for our food and drink and even had to suggest they clear the table. Lower your expectations and don't be too hungry since you'll wait for you food. Side note - very uncomfortable chairs.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Wonderful! Great service, cool atmosphere, delicious food. I'll admit, our experience with mexican food is your basic greasy mexican food found in most places (especially college towns where we live!). And we were a bit intimidated on what to order...the server offered suggestions, we listened and wow - what a great meal!

My husband goes to NYC on business often and says he will be going back here every time!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was excited to find this restaurant while researching our trip to NYC as my husband and I absolutely love Mexican food. The restaurant was a short walk from our hotel and prior to going, the front desk staff gave us a card for complimentary margaritas. Awesome. We sat outside which was quite nice as the weather was beautiful. Our server was friendly and quick to greet us and bring us our free margs. He then proceeded to explain that all dishes are small plates and they recommend 2-3 plates per person. We were starving, so we ordered 6 dishes. We love super spicy food and were dismayed that nothing on the menu was spicy whatsoever. We asked for hot sauce, but it tasted like ketchup. I digress... After barely getting through the first 4 dishes, my husband asked if our last 2 dishes had been entered yet and if not, could we cancel them as we were beyond full. Our server regretfully told us that the order had been put through and that our final 2 dishes should be "right up". Fair enough, we would pack them to go and eat them later. After another 25-30min of waiting, our sever told us again that our dishes would be "right up"... It leads one to think that maybe our last order could have been cancelled... Regardless, the food arrived and we packed it to go. We got back to our hotel and put the food in our room fridge. Several hours later, we felt like a snack. My husband ate his dish (something meaty) and I ate mine (something vegetarian). Do I ever wish I hadn't eaten that last dish.. I woke up at midnight and spent the next 6 hours in the washroom, very sick. It was a terrible first night in NYC. I'm not sure what happened as my food was vegetarian and had been refrigerated prior to consumption. This restaurant could truly be great... add more traditional items to the menu with spicier options and improve service!