“Great atmosphere, great drinks”
Review of Anejo Tequileria

Anejo Tequileria
Ranked #538 of 14,292 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Been here about 5 times and always had a wonderful experience. It has the best tequila selection around and some interesting tequila drinks (try the Mexican Firing Squad). Wonderful and inventive food in a fun, crowded, friendly atmosphere. I love this place!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Food, service & atmosphere were perfect. We had dinner here prior to seeing a Broadway musical and the location was perfect. Food is fresh and seasoned perfectly. Staff was attentive and made great suggestions on both food and drinks. Fun and sexy atmosphere! Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank traveladdictjr
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice place for drinks and Tapas with friends... Nice variety of tequilas and cocktails. Cool for a night out in the town. Highly recommended!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stopped in for a couple of drinks after getting Mexican dinner across the street. Thought it was great spot for drinks and would definitely come back. The margaritas were very well made - the house Blanco was half price for happy hour which was great deal for NYC. We also had the Anejo margarita and thought it was really excellent. The blend of lime mix was very well done - not overly sweet in my opinion as a frequent tequila & margarita drinker. My wife is a big fan of the 1921 tequila cream (similar to Bailey's) and was happy to see it available on the bar.

Only downside was the very small space. We were able to get 4 spots at the bar so we were fine, but the space is very small and crowded. No space at all for waiting if not at table or the bar. We did not try to the food so no opinion on that.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

It seems like there are two kinds of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen these days -- Thai and Mexican. What I liked about Anejo was that the focus was on tequila not on Mexican food. I mean if you're in Hell's Kitchen -- you're there for drinking and socializing right??? So while the homemade guacamole was very good -- not the best, but very good. And the chips were homemade, I can't say any of the other food dishes were a standout. They were all ok. Unlike other reviewers, I have to disagree... I thought the restaurant had an excellent tequila selection. By my estimate there were at least 40 different varieties of tequila from different distilleries and ranging in quality up to Anejo. I believe they also had Mexcal, but I'm not positive. It was expensive, but this is NYC and after a while I think you just become numb to the idea that you are going to pay $15-25 for a drink. That's just the way it is throughout the city now.

While I liked the variety of tequilas, the margaritas were another story. These were served out of a tap and were pre-mixed. We did not like. Too sweet - too manufactured. Not recommended.

The restaurant/bar was vibrant at around midnight. They were playing American music (80's or 90's I think), which I thought was a great twist for a Mexican bar.

Compared to other options in Hell's Kitchen (ie. the Thai and Mexican restaurants and the oddball Cajun New Orleans join), I liked Anejo mostly for the late night vibe. It was spotty in all categories but overall memorable.