“Great great place”
Review of Rafele

Rafele
Reserve with OpenTable
Rafele is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Morton st,
Transit: The nearest subway stations are: West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I traveled to New York City with a friend for a week around July 4th 2014 and we had reservations to Rafele (discovered it on Trip Advisor and other similar sites). Our experience at Rafele was terrific! The reservation was at 6:30 and the crowd was still somewhat light but it was also on a Tuesday. The atmosphere is nice but casual. I wore nice jeans and a button down shirt and that was about right I think.

I ordered the Pettole Ragu which is a pasta with roasted lamb. The portion was really good for me...usually pasta dishes have so much food that you could never eat it all. This was just enough for me to be full. I also liked that the sauce had a subtle flavor to it. Again, many Italian dishes at restaurants I find have really strong flavors. This was just perfect! My friend also ordered a pasta dish, the Ravioli Di Spinaci and she really enjoyed her meal as well.

We split a cheesecake dessert afterward and let me tell you this really hit the spot! One of the best cheesecakes I've eaten. It was not the typical hard, ice cold type but instead was more of a cool temperature and softer than most cheesecakes. Very simple too...no drizzling chocolate or anything like that on top. It was great.

Overall, Rafele really made the evening start off well. We stayed for a week in New York and even though there was a couple other good places, Rafele was our favorite on the trip. We both thoroughly enjoyed it and I would encourage anyone to try this place out.

There are newer reviews for Rafele

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had dinner at Rafele, and this place rates as well as several high quality restaurants we enjoyed in Italy, in terms of high quality pasta dishes. The table freebie of bread and eggplant caponata is wonderful - fresh, sweet-sour, filled with delicious veggies (eggplant, olives, and more). We had the zucchini flower appetizer, which was great, though there were only 2 zucchini flowers (the remainder were sliced zucchini) - still, fresh and delicious. Pasta entrees were the best, however. My wife had a pasta with mushrooms that was woody and subtle. My son's gnocchi was as nice as any example of this dish as we've had in some time. My pasta alla Amatriciana was pretty much perfect - wide, fresh pasta noodles, delicate tomato sauce, and salty, ever so fatty pancetta. Service was polished and friendly, and the neighborhood is great. A very nice choice in New York.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Such an excellent staff contribute to making this restaurant, having you walk out and say WOW, actually remembering exactly what you ate, and wanting to return.
The excellent manager and maitre d deserves five stars on his own apart from the food, for his service and hospitality,.
the food is authentic Italian, extremely generous portions, and I know that whatever you order wll be delicious.
they offer a complimentary delicious appetizer with wonderful warm bread, careful not to eat too much of this, though tempting, because what will still be to come, is served in large portions. The risotto balls and meat balls were my favourite which we had for appetizers.
we shared two pastas between two of us and cools not eat all, particularly loved the mushroom truffle pasta.
Piero brought us an outstanding slice of ricotta cheese cake, a family recipe which I thought was superb. thanks Puero for outstanding service and the most delicious Italian Food, we will be back very soon

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Went here with a large group and had the set menu. The amount of delicious food we had was amazing. My favorite was the pasta and the seafood soup, but all courses were outstanding. Great place to take out of towners!

1  Thank kawa07
Reviewed July 2, 2014

There was already a buzz when we arrived. The restaurant looked like a really fun place. The service was casual and friendly. We sat inside. Cannot remember if outdoor seating was available. We were a party of 8.

In a celebratory mood we ordered 2 bottles of prosecco ($40x2).

The menu is rustic Italian with a New York influence, using fresh ingredients. Liked it that the menu framed very clearly at the top 'for the table' and 'pizze'. Liked the attitude.

We shared 2 servings of arancini - each plate came with 4 dumplings ($11x2) and a mushroom & gorgonzola pizza ($15), which has truffle oil drizzled on it.

Then we all had pasta as mains. I had tagliolini ai funghi ($16) w mixed mushrooms and truffle pate; my partner had spaghetti schizzetto ($18) w mixed seafood and sun golden tomatoes.

The servings were quite large. Really good pasta. Inexpensive by NY standards.

Definitely on our list of 'to go again'.