“Extremely Pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rafele

Rafele
Reserve with OpenTable
Rafele is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Morton st,
Transit: The nearest subway stations are: West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Extremely Pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We experienced this restaurant on tasting tour during day. We made reservations that night for chef tasting at chefs table to watch action. The food was unbelievably good. The action in the kitchen was extremely entertaining also. would highly recommend this restaurant. The cheesecake was best we had all week in new york. The lemonchello was also extremely fresh and tasty.

• Hebrew first
Ascot
“Nice neighbourhood italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Nice enough neighbourhood italian restaurant. Perhaps the high ranking on TA had led us to expect something better. The food was ok to good but nowhere near spectacular. Personally I will not return but that's because there are so many wonderful restaurants to choose from in NYC. Nothing really wrong with this place but I just can't reconcile my meal with the top 10 ranking. Is this place as good as Collichio's? Little Owl? Club A Steak house? Not even close.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Dowthwaites
Chicago, Illinois
“Not so sweet Valentine's Day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I made reservations here for Valentine's Day for my boyfriend and I almost a month ahead of time. It wasn't until 4 days before Valentine's Day that they called to confirm our reservation and advised that we would only be able to order their "special tasting menu" for $70 per person. After seeing all the wonderful reviews here, we decided to keep our reservation.

Upon arrival, we were escorted down a very narrow stairway into the basement to our table which was in fact "cozy" but nothing like the pictures with all the warm woods and windows, etc. This was concrete, no windows. The table next to us could not have been more then 4" off of ours. So if you are looking for some place private, this is not it.

We, of course, had the tasting menu because we weren't given a choice. The best item we were served was the lobster linguini which could not have been more then 4 forkfuls. I know this is a tasting menu so I understand small portions, but the couple next to us had more then double what we were given. The worst part was the "main" course. We were given a choice between prime rib and halibut. I have had better stew meat from the discount grocery store then the mess that was served to me.

The waiter, during one of his few visits to the table, asked how the meal was and I told him the meat was horrible but the rest of the meal was ok. He made no comment to me and walked away. I have had better service from local restaurant chains then from this place. I have NO problem paying for good food and good service when I actually recieve them.

I added it all up later and he was hosting between 5-8 tables and in two hours getting a 20% tip based on the tasting menu price? He was making $85 ish per hour. And that is if they didn't order drinks. Our bill was just at $200. I have been to several places in that price range and have been overly happy to pay it because of the atmosphere, the amazing food, and the exceptional service I received. I am not sure if this was just because it was Valentine's Day so they figured they would jack up the prices or what it was, but this was no where near the same caliber.

I rank this a 3 because the linguini was amazing and I think this may have just been a side product of it being Valentine's Day. I have to say I am in no hurry to ever go back here because to me, $200 is far too much money to have to stop at Mc D's on the way home… From an Italian restaurant no less. What a disgrace to a real italian family where stuffing you with incredible food is the custom.

“Great host!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We went to this restaurant on 4th February after reading the many positive reviews from Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. We ordered the calamari and the crispy fried artichoke as a starter, before ordering the Margherita and Salsiccia and Broccoli Rabe pizza. All courses were excellent. However, what made the meal even more special was that the host took time to get to know us and find out where we were from. In fact, the host suggested the Gragnano, a fizzy red wine, which was off the menu, in order to satisfy all diner's tastes, which I would highly recommend. We were never made to feel rushed and the Panna Cotta and Tiramisù were amazing- so much so that our friend, who "love, love, loves" tiramisù claimed it was the best he'd ever had! We loved it so much, we plan to go back when we return in November, which is a first for us, considering the number of restaurants in Manhattan. Thank you to all who made our experience so enjoyable!

New York City, New York
“Downstairs seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We dined at Rafele to have dinner with friends. Made a reservation in advance and were seated downstairs. Amibaince was cozy and warm, great for conversation. I personally dined on the Spinach Ravioli and a glass of Proseco. Delicious. I chose the dish based on another review and was not disappointed. Great service. They allowed us to comfortably dine with appetizers, entrees and dessert topped with great conversation for 3 hours! I would revisit for sure when in the mood for good Italian.

• Visited January 2014