“Fantastic”
Review of Rafele

Rafele
Reserve with OpenTable
Rafele is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 14,583 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Morton st,
Transit: The nearest subway stations are: West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We went here for a meal in december. The restaurant is lovely inside and has a nice bar to enjoy a cocktail. The staff are polite and welcoming. We had the chefs tasting menu which was abit of pretty much everything as we couldnt make our minds up from the menu. It all looked beautiful. Tasting menu was $45 and there was LOTS of food. Waiters kept filling water up and the owner came and told us about each course. Fantastic italian restaurant

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The reviews on Tripadvisor were very good and this restaurant was close to our hotel. Thinking of making dinner reservations we walked to Rafele and decided to stop for lunch instead. Chef-owner Rafaele promised inspired Neapolitan cuisine and we were not disappointed. The food was so good, the simple decor and warm atmosphere (mamma was making fresh orecchiette in the open kitchen) so inviting that we stayed for lunch and returned for dinner twice during our one week stay in NY. We were guided through the menu by the charming Andrea who gave us the most attentive service. The delicately breaded calamari, the arancini, the eggplant, the meatballs and the gnoccho fritto, the pasta all chitarra, the mushroom pizza, the zuppa di pesce , every dish was perfect. The desserts were fantastic. We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went to Rafele for dinner with friends. Service was close to exellent, we liked the decorations a lot, but the food was simple and average. No one dish had wow effect, for 200$ + for 4 persons with no drinks, I think it's more on the expensive side.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This restaurant has twice now provided me with one of the best meals of my life.

Amazing authentic italian cuisine (southern italian cuisine to be exact).

The eggplant appetizer they bring you for free is amazing. We had the grilled polpo (octopus) which was soooo yummy.

We had a reservation and had to wait 10 minutes for a table and they gave us free prosecco which was really nice of them.

Salads are simple and delicious and their pasta dishes are in my opinion their strongest dishes - you can't go wrong and I highly encourage you get whatever is fresh and a special dish of the day. It was scallops when I went which were truly amazing.

Okay - here's the one thing I don't like about this restaurant. Their wine prices are too expensive. They don't match up to the cost of the dishes.

I know restaurants will markup prices of wine ridiculously high. They all do it. But $15 for a glass of wine is way too much when your pasta dishes are $14-18 each. When your cheapest bottle of wine is in the $40 range... it's way too much.

This place would be so much better if they could bring their prices per glass down to $8/$9 a glass and offer a cheaper bottle in the mid to upper $20 range. Someone on my budget could never afford to eat here everyday or week even... but the wine prices to me just don't match up to the prices of your dishes. A glass of wine should not cost more than your food!

I'll continue to visit this restaurant on trips to NYC for the amazing food, but I'll just go buy a bottle of wine for $10 before hand and drink it before coming to the restaurant. The wine store around the corner sells many of the wines they have for $10-$15 (which are $40-$50 in the restaurant). Quite the mark-up.

The chef is really nice and friendly and is running a great restaurant! The restaurant actually feels like Italy except that it's more modern. Don't change a thing - except maybe your wine prices! Offer a cheaper option for diners like me who would love to drink here :)

1  Thank VTJedi
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went to Rafele for brunch on Sunday at 2:30pm. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very nice. The open floor plan provided a nice view of the kitchen.

We started with a Special Salad and the ARANCINI: Lightly fried four cheese rice balls. Both were excellent. My wife ordered the FRUTTI DI MARE INZIMINO: Seafood stew in light tomato broth with spinach. I ordered the BRANZINO: Grilled Mediterranean Sea Bass (filet) with mixed vegetables. Both were exceptional.

For dessert we enjoyed the Cheesecake and Tiramisu. The Tiramisu was good, but the Cheesecake was extraordinary. Each cup of coffee is individually freshly brewed and was delicious.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience at Rafele. So much so, that we returned the same day after a show. We shared the RAFELE Pizza: Parma Prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella, arugula, with Parmigiano, and the BOLOGNESE Special: Homemade Orecchiette pasta with classic meat sauce.

Service was also exceptional, and a special thanks to Eliza for great conversation. Give Rafele a try, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank saveroom4dessert