“Excellent, fresh, all homemade, and very reasonable”

Ponche Taqueria & Cantina
Ranked #1,944 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: I believe this place is new. It is super tiny, but they are friendly and the food was good.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a small restaurant - we had 15 people for lunch (we basically took over the place), and the food was outstanding. For starters we had guacamole and nachos, the nachos were still warm when the plates arrived (just cooked!), and the guac was amazing. As a main dish I had the vegetarian quesadilla, it was big and really good. A number of my friends had the 3-taco set, they said the fish tacos were the best they'd had. The lunch was served with two homemade sauces in dishes on the table, one spicy and one mild - these really added to the flavor of the meal, and like everything else on the table was made in-house. The only part of the meal from the outside world was the Coke, and that was imported from Mexico and in a glass bottle - real sugar!

Lunch was under $20 per person, for the amount and quality of food this was an excellent value, plus they handled our huge crowd without delay. I highly recommend Ponche Taqueria if you're in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood and need a good meal, I will definitely be back.

1  Thank Chaz B

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a craving for Mexican after getting out of our show, but didn't think we'd ever find anything worth our time (My step-mom is Mexican and an excellent cook, and being from Texas, there's great Mexican food on every corner), so ...did a quick online search & based on other reviews we decided a quick venture into Hell's Kitchen would be OK. Almost missed it - the street is a little dark, and signage not too attention-grabbing. Almost didn't go in b/c there were few people in the restaurant & we weren't sure if it was still open. Sooo glad we took a chance. There are only about 6 tables in the whole restaurant, simple decor (candle-lit so warm and cozy to us)....within moments we realized they had a bustling take-out business w/delivery men in and out.

Chips were crisp and fresh, and the hot sauce they served with it was very good. Menu looked wonderful & it was hard to choose, so I took the server's recommendation of the fish soft tacos (he said it was their most popular item), and I can not say enough about that choice. AMAZING. Fish was fresh and cooked perfectly, tortillas warm, and the sauce they put on those things was mouthwatering. I did get one chicken soft-taco, and it was better than most, but I regretted not getting all three fish tacos... Black beans were also very tasty.

Broken hearted that I'll probably never make it back to this little hole-in-the-wall, but hope others will read this review & give it a shot!

1  Thank AndilooTX
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stopped by for lunch midweek after reading other reviews on TA and weren't disappointed. The nachos, tacos and guacamole were fantastic and the service very friendly and prompt. If you love authentic Mexican food then don't hesitate, just go!

1  Thank yorkshirehornet
Reviewed April 27, 2013

What a great Mexican restaurant. Having never eaten "real" Mexican, this was a great find. Food was so tasty, fresh and well presented. Staff very helpful and courteous. Really small place, and quite noisy, but very popular. Get in early to get a table. Very cheap, delicious meal.

2  Thank EddiOZ
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This lovely little Mexican restaurant was suggested by my son, who lives in NY. We all love Mexican cuisine and just loved this restaurant. It's a cozy little place on W. 49th with outstanding service, food and friendly staff. There is just nothing negative to say about this place. It is wonderful and I'm sure I will go back and visit again every time I'm in NYC. Thanks Ponche Taqueria...you are amazing! :)

1  Thank CathyYoungstown