“Excellent hotel if you're OK with location...”

Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side
Ranked #239 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I got this hotel through the “Name Your Own Price” option at Priceline for $125 and I couldn’t be happier...stayed in their superior King room. I think all the other reviewers got their reviews spot on so I am not sure I really have too much new information to add here. The hotel is brand new and everything is super clean. I was offered a cup of water as I was checking in which was a very nice touch. Overall the service/staff were great with excellent restaurant recommendations and prompt service. The room itself was excellent and large by NYC standards. The King bed was very comfortable (if you like firm mattresses), the TV was HD and had all the usual cable channels. As others have mentioned, the added convenience of having USB chargers built-in to the TV was great. Bathroom was large with excellent water pressure and the suite of standard amenities. One issue I did have, and others have mentioned, is the noise level outside the room. You can definitely hear all the doors opening/closing and people talking in the hallways.

Location....
So here is where I think it helps to know what you’re getting. I am a frequent visitor to NYC and have never stayed on the Lower East Side (LES) before this visit. It is a great area with many restaurants, bars, and stores. Having said that, this is not mid-town and I certainly would not want my gf to be walking around this area at 2am alone. I never felt unsafe here but I can definitely see how someone wouldn’t be too comfortable. I did find it difficult to get a cab around the hotel and going to the “touristy” part of town is about $13-$16 each way...so just keep that in mind. Like I mentioned, I am a frequent NYC visitor so I was simply visiting friends and going on...I was not checking out any tourist sites. With that, I probably would not recommend this hotel for first time NYC visitors. You will be spending a decent amount of money and effort getting to mid-town, upper east side, etc. For me that wasn’t really an issue but for a first time visitor it may be.

So overall....this is an awesome hotel by any standards and if you compare it with all other NYC hotels this becomes an amazing deal.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators as you will hear them opening/closing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roman B
Greg R, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Roman B,

Thank you for the nice review. As for our location, taxi service can be found on Delancey Street. It can be difficult almost anywhere in the city during peak times and rush hour, but we have a bellstaff on hand to assist with this if need be. Another great way to get around is to use the MTA subway system. It costs only $30 for a 7-day unlimited pass. It can also be another great and fun way to get the full NYC experience. It takes me between 20 - 30 minutes to get from our hotel to the Upper West Side...weekends can take a bit longer, but a taxi ride could take about that long or longer. So, depending on your specific travel needs there are lots of choices. Thanks for bringing that up and giving me the opportunity to explain in more detail. One more thing, we have a specific car service that can save you money getting to and from the airports as they charge one set price and do not charge per mile and time like taxis do. Just let the front desk know and we will be happy to assist with that.

Take care and safe travels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Having traveled to NYC plenty of times before, it became quite a task when I booked my last trip. We specifically needed to stay somewhere really close to the F train, and somewhere really reasonable. It's amazing how easy all that sounds, until you actually place those limitations during your search, and realize how hard it actually is.

Here are my pros & cons:

PROS:
- Price: Compared to other hotels I researched, this location was at least $50/night cheaper
- Location: Right next to the subway (J,F,M)
- Rooms: We stayed in room 711. Our room was directly above Delancey and we had a clear view of the Williamsburg Bridge and the Freedom Tower. The room was clean, the beds comfortable, and the bathroom sufficient for me and 2 teens. Our room was directly across the elevator and right next to vending machines. Once in a while we'd hear people walk down the hallway, but nothing noisier than what you would hear at any other hotel.
- Dining: PLENTY of options! 'Soy' is literally right next door to the hotel's entrance. Awesome home-cooked Japanese food (NOT sushi). There is also 'Nonna's' which has one of the best pizzas I've ever had. The Essex St Market is well...on Delancey & Essex and provides a plethora of choices; from meats, cheeses to chocolates! And then there's Berkli Park Cafe at the corner of Delancey & Allen that serves a fantastic (albeit unusual) bourbon latte! (See other reviews)
- Shopping/Site Seeing: SoHo is literally 3 blocks away. There is also the 'Tenement Museum' down the street on Delancey & Orchard. It's a must-see when visiting NYC!

CONS:
- Location: This isn't so much of a 'con', but a consideration depending on what you are doing in NYC. If you are there simply to vacation then it's a great location! We were there for school orientation and had to go to Queens a couple of times. Though the hotel is right next to the 'F' train, we were almost 20 stops away from our destination. We could've stayed closer to Queens, but as it was, we just had to be on the train longer than if we had stayed in the 'upper' areas.

There isn't anything else I can say that hasn't been said already, but I truly HAVE to comment on the staff at the Holiday Inn LES. The customer service at this hotel is fantastic! We had some changes to our check-in plans and when I contacted the hotel a few days before, Sheila (night auditor), went above and beyond helping me out to make sure that our check-in process would go as smoothly as possible when we got there. The day we checked in, we didn't get in till almost 11:00 at night. Sure enough, check-in was easy peasy. We got our room keys, our room and even an awesome recommendation from Wanda (sorry, I think that was her name...I forgot her name!) on where to get some late night eats. When we got back from dinner, we tried to get some water from the 7th floor vending machine and it wouldn't take our money. I went downstairs to buy it there, and instead I was given 2 bottles on the house!

But it didn't stop there...the next day, we had to be on the subway by 6:15 AM. We went to the Retro Diner downstairs and Martin was super helpful in getting us a few bagels and coffee to take with us on our commute. I was worried that we wouldn't have time to eat, but having the diner so conveniently located in the hotel made it that much more easier!

And on our last day, Richard helped with keeping our bags since our flight didn't leave till the evening and we had to check out by noon. He was more than happy not only to keep it, but gathering it for us and giving us some commute recommendations as needed.

Overall, as I was expecting a really stressful NY trip this time around. Having stayed at the Holiday Inn LES made it a lot stressful than I anticipated. And as many times as I hear people say that it doesn't matter where you stay, it helps so much when you have people greet you when you get home after a long, tiring day. I will absolutely stay at this location again. The whole team needs to be commended for a job very well done! Thank you!

Room Tip: The hotel's entrance faces Suffolk, not Delancey. If taking a cab, they need to drive around so...
1  Thank marvylous

Dear marvylous,

Thank you for the great review. I think you said it all. Price, location, nearby restaurants and shopping and great guest service...we have it all! I will be sure to let the staff know of your comments. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent a week here on 'n off and were delighted with the high quality of the 4 month old hotel for the moderate price we paid. Close to the Essex St subway and the Tenement museum and all the other sights and experiences of the Lower East Side. We had a clean room and the hotel bristled with other guest friendly facilities such as the interactive console displaying flight times. The girls behind the desk were always on hand with good dining recommendations and umbrellas, as required.

A previous reviewer was right about the sound of the aircon, but I feel that is virtually unavoidable in New York in summer. Maybe street noise too. We also had cause to complain about a family of Hells Angels constantly clubbing to death a rhinoceros in the next door room. The greater reality is that one should always travel with ear-plugs and these problems all disappear.

Strongly recommend the Holiday Inn on Delancey - we will return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Greg R, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Lieutenant_Feraud,

Thank you for the nice review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the air conditioner and we will certainly check that out. We hope to see you again soon. Take care and safe travels.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I felt the neighborhood a little unsecure at late night... prostitutes and homeless people around. The hotel and room condition were okay, but the elevator stopped working one day...

An advantage is that the subway is near the hotel. Also a 7 eleven is near too.

Good service at front desk, but they took a lot of time to gave us our luggage back after we were out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Greg R, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear ReneGarza,

Thank you for the review. We are located in the Lower East Side of Manhattan which is the fastest growing neighborhood in NYC and we are very happy to be part of this revitalization. There are many great restaurants within walking distance and lots of bars with live music. Art galleries are beginning to fill some of the vacant store fronts. Museums and other great neighborhoods (Chintaown, Little Italy, TriBeca, SoHo) are also nearby. With thh "F" and "M" trains one block away you can get to just about anywhere in NYC in a short time. The neighborhood is very safe, even at night, and there should be no worries as to its' safety. As I mentioned, it is an area in transition and with all the proposed growth over the next several years, this will quickly be one of the best neighborhoods in Manhattan.

As for the elevators, my apologies, as sometimes there are mechanical issues which cannot be immediately taken care of. However, we had plenty of staff on hand ready to offer assistance to our guests with carrying luggage to their rooms. The elevators were repaired within a few short hours, while we had one working at all times.

As you mentioned and other reviews have exclaimed, the guest service and cleanliness of the property are our strong points and we strive to be the best hotel of choice in NYC. Our Bell Staff is ready to help at a moments notice and I hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again. We certainly are proud of our hotel and the staff and would appreciate your giving us another opportunity to impress you with all that we offer.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a new, pristine hotel with good staff but in not such a great area for walking at night. However, it is really close (one block) to the subway (J, M and F lines) that will take you in 10 min to almost any Manhattan attraction.

A plus: for our IGH membership category we had late check out (2 pm).

The rooms: Brand new, impeccable and functional. We were four in a room with two queen beds. Even though it is small, it is smartly furnished and well equipped. LCD TV, with good choice of channels, plenty of places to plug and USB chargers just under the TV, a coffee maker, iron and ironing table and a desk with comfortable chair. Surprisingly, no small fridge in the room (although there are ice machines in every other floor). Beds and pillows were very comfortable and towels were fluffy and impeccable.

The hotel: It is an eight floor hotel. The main entrance is not over Delancey street, but on the side smaller street. Surprisingly, the place to stop the car or taxi is right on the bike lane so bikers are usually irritated when you are getting out of the car. There is public parking across Delancey (have to leave the key) or a parking by the hour two blocks away (you park and take the key yourself). The lobby is small but functional, with a business area with two brand new Mac computers, a display to buy snacks, coffee or something to drink and two elevators. There is a grill and bar in the basement (in charge also of the room service) and a fitness center also in the basement.

The area: it is located in Lower East Side, where the bridge to Brooklyn reaches Manhattan. Only a block from the hotel is the subway that would take you anywhere so the location is really convenient. However, the surroundings are not really very good. The area is very busy but it looks creepy at night. A few blocks away there are many restaurants and bars, but we did not feel totally safe walking around at night. Needless to say, if this hotel were in midtown it would cost at least double!

Staff: well prepared and very helpful. Good atmosphere! (special thanks to Wanda and Diana!)

At the moment we were checking in there was a problem with both elevators (in one of them the card reader that allows you to go up to your room was not working, so it would only bring you down to the lobby, and in the other something with the door in the second floor got it to go out of order from time to time). The staff did everything possible and more to provide solutions for this inconvenience! It was an unfortunate situation but the staff provided alternatives to try to overcome it (from bringing in the luggage later to help us look for another hotel, etc. They even offered to bring our luggage up the stairs themselves!). We decided to stay anyway and the maintenance guy got one of the elevators to work for some time so we were able to get to our room in the 8th floor. The problem was completely fixed by the next morning.

I would like to remark that most guests coming in got really a good attitude towards the elevator situation, taking it with laughter and either taking the stairs or grabbing the elevator when possible. There was really a good and fresh atmosphere in the hotel, possibly because accommodations and staff are very good, which makes staying in this hotel a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 8th floor had great view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Greg R, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear werty09,

Thank you for the nice review. And, thank you for pointing out a few of our terrific staff members (Wanda and Diana). I will be sure to let them know of your comments. My apologies for the issue with the elevators. As with all mechanical equipment there are just some things that are out of our control, although we strived to asisst our guests during that time and to have the repairs within a short time. Thank you for your understanding.

We look forward to your return. Take care and safe travels.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here recently for two nights on a business trip. While the neighborhood isn't quite the best and it's difficult to get a taxi nearby, there is a certain charm to this new hotel. The staff is certainly a highlight, as are the amenities in the room. There's a convenient Burger King and 7-11 nearby, which is a really nice touch.

My room was a king room which was tiny but functional, and my one gripe is that the shower wasn't as strong as I'm used to in NYC or for Holiday Inns in general. One funny note - as an IHG member I asked for a room upgrade (I was working with coworkers after lunch in the room and it was getting claustrophobic) ...and was promptly given room 501 instead of 201. When I inquired if this was actually the same room, just 3 levels up, the lady kindly responded "it's a little bigger". This was true -- meaning that instead of two feet between the bed and the wall, there were now three feet between the bed and the wall. Classic New York logic.

If I come back to NY, I'd be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd suggest chatting with the front desk to see what they can do for you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Albert L,

Thank you for the great review. And, thank you for staying with us. We know the many choices that our guests have when it comes to hotel selections in NYC and we strive to be the best. Our staff is top notch and the housekeeping staff does a tremendous job of keeping the property extremely clean. The Lower East Side is the new up-and-coming neighborhood in Manhattan with an artsy, hip feel. There are many great restaurants and bars with live music, museums, and galleries to see within a short walking distance. Although Delancey Street may not have that look, it is completely safe for anyone to venture out at any time of the day or night. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us again when you return to the area.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to New York City for a summer trip. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Richard is a cool guy and helped us out when we asked him about the City. It was clean and awesome! Thanks for the hospitality

• Stayed: July 2013
Greg R, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Kaylameeko,

Thanks for the review...and thanks for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was helpful, especially Richard. I will be sure to let him know you said so.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Hotel Indigo Lower East Side New York
Hotel Indigo Lower East Side New...
#58 of 471 in New York City
Blue Moon Hotel
#414 of 471 in New York City
Financial District
Holiday Inn Manhattan - Financial District
Holiday Inn Manhattan - Financia...
#223 of 471 in New York City

Been to Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side? Share your experiences!