“Affordable, Small, Quirky, Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #185 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Affordable, Small, Quirky, Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

This hotel is location on east 39th street in NY, a 5 minute walk from grand central station, madisson ave, park ave, etc. The rooms are small, but the beds are the perfect size, clean, and super comfortable. When in NY I'm always on the go, so this place was well suited to my needs, it was centralized, 2 minute walk to starbucks, in a busy area where there were lots of cabs. The hotel has one of the best mexican/latin infusion restaurants in the city (in my opinion) The rooftop has a beautiful view on either side, and the cocktails and guac from salvation taco are untouchable. There were many moroccan themed decor rooms, one leading to the terrace, and the book room downstairs were full of colours and patters that were really aesthetically appealing. The only room for improvement here, is that I would prefer more towels in the bathrooms, and thicker, or bigger, we kept running out and it was a little bit of a hassle, more so for house keeping - (the towels were very thin), I'd advise you to bring your own.

The concierge, the door man, the staff at the bar, extremely friendly and hospitable, especially for tourists, they give you great ideas of fun things to do in the city. Overall a great stay, great prices, very affordable, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for extra towels, as they tend to be small and thin. have lunch on the rooftop, or snacks an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Annie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for a few days during December 2013. Rooms are small, like most in NYC, but the decor makes the hotel different from the mainstream hotels, and adds a fun factor. The staff were friendly and efficient. Location is great too, close to train stations, and in walking distance from Times Square and Central Park. Will stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 447mariuss
Tim L, Front Office Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello Marius,

I am glad you experience the "FUN" during your stay with us. Our motto has always been to provide a unique and whimsical experience for all our guest. We never hide the fact for being "small", and we glad you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again in the future. You can always contact me directly if you are planning your next trip to New York City @ tim.l@thepodhotel39.com

Timothy Lau
Front Office Manager
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Good location within walking distance to Times Sq and many other attractions. The hotel has small but comfortable rooms. Our room was very clean and quiet. The hotel also hosts a very nice and busy skybar!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Josefin_Skaran14
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Cosy room which was modern, very clean and quiet at night. Amazing Rooftop bar and a nice mexican restaurant on the ground floor. Wifi worked perfectly on the 13th floor. Would highly recommend to anyone to stay

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bernard M
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Pod 39 excellent location in quiet st 3 mins walk from Grand Central . Room modern and comfortable and very clean would of liked bigger softer towels but free WI if friendly staff and superb view from rooftop bar compensates . Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank gillian1210
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you're looking for a posh hotel with a lot of room, keep looking. If you're looking for a clean, modern room with a hot shower and a good bed at the end of a busy day of sight seeing, this hotel is perfect. I recently stayed here in the Queen room at the end of the same hallway as the mini bunk room (5th floor). My teenage son and his friend stayed in the mini bunk. This was the perfect set-up for us and any family with dependent children. You can lock the door at the end of the hall and leave the doors open between these rooms if your children are really young. It basically gives you a private suite. The hotel itself gives off a hip and trendy vibe. The decor is bright and colorful. Most of the people milling around in the lobby bar were in their 20s and early 30s. The rooms are basically a bed, TV and small bathroom. Space is at a premium but I never felt claustrophobic or uncomfortable. The service was great. I called and asked for an iron and ironing board and both were delivered to my door within 5 minutes. The concierge was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were a snap. I parked my car within 2 blocks in an ICON garage that gives guests a discount, so 24 hrs is $25. The hotel location is just a few blocks from Grand Central. This will be my new go-to place when staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank boymom1208
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

My eighteen-year-old daughter and I stayed at Pod 39 for several days in June. She had just graduated from high school and had never been to NYC. I was hoping for a memorable mother-daughter experience before she launched off to college as I had a similar trip with my mother at about the same age. After substantial Trip Advisor research I felt fairly comfortable in my expectations for Pod 39, what others' perceived to be positive and negative attributes of the hotel. I emailed the hotel several days prior to our arrival to see if checking our luggage would be an option as we would be arriving in the City around 8:00 a.m. I received a response within thirty minutes reassuring me that this would be fine. Upon our arrival the hotel staff were very welcoming and checked our luggage, allowing us to begin our exploration of NYC baggage-free. We were also told of the possibility of an early check-in and returned around 1:00 p.m. to find that our room was ready for us. Our mini-bunk pod was exactly as I expected, tightly-quartered but clean, quiet and safe. The shower was hot with good pressure. The televisions at the end of our beds allowed us each to decompress in our own quiet way after twelve to fifteen hours of urban exploration. The mattress was adequate for my middle-aged back and we both slept tightly and restoratively in our little "space capsule", rejuvenated for the next day's adventures. The neighborhood felt very safe as my daughter and I walked back well after dark each night. There was a "hipster" vibe to the hotel later in the evenings, but I (obviously not a hipster) did not feel uncomfortable and my daugher got to feel somewhat "hip", although she was too young to engage in nightime, roof-top socializing. We did get to enjoy a quiet roof-top experience early one afternoon. basically having it to ourselves, and the the view is outstanding. On our last day we did not have to leave for the airport until 6:00 p.m. Pod 39 exceeded my expectations by holding our luggage several hours after our check-out time, enabling us to enjoy the City up until our last moment. Please tip these people for this wonderful service! In summary, Pod 39 is perfect if you are low maintenance, come with light luggage and plan to spend most of your time enjoying the City. I suggest a "City Pass" which allows reduced-fee entry into six attractions without having to wait in line. Scotty's is a small diner on the corner which offers a good, reasonably-priced American breakfast. There is a Starbuck's one block down from Scotty's. Walk two more blocks and you are at Grand Central Station. Hop, skip and a jump!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family