“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #200 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Cosy room which was modern, very clean and quiet at night. Amazing Rooftop bar and a nice mexican restaurant on the ground floor. Wifi worked perfectly on the 13th floor. Would highly recommend to anyone to stay

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard M

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Pod 39 excellent location in quiet st 3 mins walk from Grand Central . Room modern and comfortable and very clean would of liked bigger softer towels but free WI if friendly staff and superb view from rooftop bar compensates . Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank gillian1210
Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you're looking for a posh hotel with a lot of room, keep looking. If you're looking for a clean, modern room with a hot shower and a good bed at the end of a busy day of sight seeing, this hotel is perfect. I recently stayed here in the Queen room at the end of the same hallway as the mini bunk room (5th floor). My teenage son and his friend stayed in the mini bunk. This was the perfect set-up for us and any family with dependent children. You can lock the door at the end of the hall and leave the doors open between these rooms if your children are really young. It basically gives you a private suite. The hotel itself gives off a hip and trendy vibe. The decor is bright and colorful. Most of the people milling around in the lobby bar were in their 20s and early 30s. The rooms are basically a bed, TV and small bathroom. Space is at a premium but I never felt claustrophobic or uncomfortable. The service was great. I called and asked for an iron and ironing board and both were delivered to my door within 5 minutes. The concierge was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were a snap. I parked my car within 2 blocks in an ICON garage that gives guests a discount, so 24 hrs is $25. The hotel location is just a few blocks from Grand Central. This will be my new go-to place when staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank boymom1208
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My eighteen-year-old daughter and I stayed at Pod 39 for several days in June. She had just graduated from high school and had never been to NYC. I was hoping for a memorable mother-daughter experience before she launched off to college as I had a similar trip with my mother at about the same age. After substantial Trip Advisor research I felt fairly comfortable in my expectations for Pod 39, what others' perceived to be positive and negative attributes of the hotel. I emailed the hotel several days prior to our arrival to see if checking our luggage would be an option as we would be arriving in the City around 8:00 a.m. I received a response within thirty minutes reassuring me that this would be fine. Upon our arrival the hotel staff were very welcoming and checked our luggage, allowing us to begin our exploration of NYC baggage-free. We were also told of the possibility of an early check-in and returned around 1:00 p.m. to find that our room was ready for us. Our mini-bunk pod was exactly as I expected, tightly-quartered but clean, quiet and safe. The shower was hot with good pressure. The televisions at the end of our beds allowed us each to decompress in our own quiet way after twelve to fifteen hours of urban exploration. The mattress was adequate for my middle-aged back and we both slept tightly and restoratively in our little "space capsule", rejuvenated for the next day's adventures. The neighborhood felt very safe as my daughter and I walked back well after dark each night. There was a "hipster" vibe to the hotel later in the evenings, but I (obviously not a hipster) did not feel uncomfortable and my daugher got to feel somewhat "hip", although she was too young to engage in nightime, roof-top socializing. We did get to enjoy a quiet roof-top experience early one afternoon. basically having it to ourselves, and the the view is outstanding. On our last day we did not have to leave for the airport until 6:00 p.m. Pod 39 exceeded my expectations by holding our luggage several hours after our check-out time, enabling us to enjoy the City up until our last moment. Please tip these people for this wonderful service! In summary, Pod 39 is perfect if you are low maintenance, come with light luggage and plan to spend most of your time enjoying the City. I suggest a "City Pass" which allows reduced-fee entry into six attractions without having to wait in line. Scotty's is a small diner on the corner which offers a good, reasonably-priced American breakfast. There is a Starbuck's one block down from Scotty's. Walk two more blocks and you are at Grand Central Station. Hop, skip and a jump!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank DeLois H
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The room was quite small and we didn't really like the fact that the bathroom was separated with a glass door that didn't really give you much privacy. But we did have a view of the Empire State Building from the bathroom window ;). The hotel also has a roof terrace with a view of the Empire and a Michelin-star chef's restaurant downstairs. Located a few blocks from the best subway station Grand Central and the Chrysler building, it is a great choice for young couples especially. Would go again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrVille
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pod 39 for 6 nights. When we first walked in we were a bit stunned at how small it really was; however we managed to make it work and despite the place being small, it was comfortable, clean and in a great location.

Rooftop bar is great for afternoon drinks, looking out over the city and there are numerous bars close by.

Central station is about a 5min walk away and there is a great bagel place too - Zuckers.

We walked to times square/rockafeller a couple of times and it was not that far.

I would recommend this place for people who are looking for affordable accommodation which is clean and convenient.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda W
Reviewed August 4, 2014

If you're on a budget and you are not claustrophobic, then the price point and location of this hotel will suit you just fine. It is clean and hip. The hotel staff is very friendly, and when I arrived on a late Saturday night, there was definitely a fun vibe throughout the hotel. It also has a pretty cool roof top bar. I booked my room on the same night (06/22/2013) and was able to get it for under $200. The staff was very courteous and friendly. If you are sharing a room, be sure you are OK with violating the “personal space” rule with the person you are sharing the room with during your stay. The quarters are really tight. This hotel is definitely ideal if you are traveling NYC alone, or if you prefer closer quarters.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends