“Met my expectations”

Ranked #196 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Metro Boston
“Met my expectations”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Sure it feels like a bit like a college dorm, but for little over $100 for a night in NYC, it was great. Clean, well-kept room, with no space wasted. A sink plug and an iron would have been nice, but no big deal. I wanted a clean, reasonable place to stay near Grand central for a one-day meeting in NYC and Pod 39 met my expectations. Lobby bar/taco joint was a nice touch, although the $13 Margarita had traditional NYC pricing. Don't hesitate to give it a try if you know what to expect.

Room Tip: Middle floors are probably best for sound purposes.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Rick_C1778

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Pod 39 was an awesome hotel. The Hotel rooms are small (which is the concept of the POD) but smartly laid out. We were in the Mini Bunk rooms. Each Bunk had its own flat screen TV, small ledge with electrical outlets to plug in your ipod, computer etc. There was desk and chair. We had free WIFI and a safe which was awesome. The rooms were uber clean and the beds comfy.
The bathroom has all glass with a sliding door. All the glass is frosted which creates quite the image with someone is in there.
Location Location Location. we could not have asked for a better location. Walking distance to Grand Central Station . Plus the roof top patio is quite the happening place right now for local New Yorkers. the place is hopping every night. I will definitely stay there again on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank penny687
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Although the rooms here are small the price was perfect. We had struggled so hard to find a reasonably priced hotel where we had our own beds so pod seemed like the perfect solution.

The beds were clean and really comfortable which was important since a week is a fairly long time to be in NYC. Each bed had it's own TV, light and plug socket which was ideal. The staff who cleaned the room everyday were really friendly and after a few days once we'd sorted out our stuff it really felt quite homely. The only downside is the glass door to the bathroom, luckily my best friend and I know each other well so going to the bathroom and having showers in front of each other didn't seem that much of a problem but if you're on business or something it might be an issue. This said the shower is amazing and the huge mirror was a blessing when it came to 2 girls getting ready for a night out at the same time.

The area it's located in really couldn't be better, it's quiet, relatively tourist-free and there are hundreds of places to eat nearby. It's moly a short walk to Grand Central so you can pretty much get to any part of New York easily.

There was a little bit of noise on one of the nights from the upstairs bar since we were only one or two floors underneath it but when my friend went up to mention it it was sorted immediately. Other than that for a city centre hotel it really is quiet on an evening so you can get a good nights sleep. I'll definitely return next time I'm in New York.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charly_murg
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The public spaces and amenities are trendy, cool and popular. My one hesitation during check-in was that my room might get noise from the crowd on the first floor. Even though my room was on the 2nd floor, it was silent and serene!

The room was gorgeously designed. Small? Yes. Comfortable? Totally!

The shower was... HANDS DOWN... the best shower I have ever had in any hotel, EVER! I could have stayed under that spray all day!

I booked my room directly on the Hotel's website and got a rate that was $5.00 lower than the lowest discount rate offered on other travel websites.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel reminded me so much of living in the dorms. The rooms are tiny (which I'm not complaining about-- you know what you are getting when you book at this place, the rooms are supposed to be small and minimalist). They're very clean and modern, though. The bed was comfy and the AC works great (not always a given in NYC, but a must in the humid summer months). My room did kind of smell a little like mildew and corn chips, though (again, reminiscent of dorm life). I would have given this place more stars, except it was so noisy! My first couple nights there were during the week and were very quiet. But the last night was a Friday, and groups of people coming back to the hotel at night, talking and yelling in the halls, kept me up til after 2am. The hotel is very modern and trendy, and if you're in NYC on a budget with a big group looking to party, this place might be perfect for you. If you don't want to feel like you're living in a dorm, though, don't stay here (or at least avoid it on the weekend).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I spent 5 days in New York for a friend's wedding earlier this year and this was the perfect base. I arrived on a Friday night and the lobby was buzzing with smiling people heading up to the rooftop bar. The staff were welcoming and checked me in super efficiently. The room itself was small and functional - exactly as the website suggested. The shower was brilliant and the bed very comfortable, my floor was amazingly quiet and I slept really well. I loved the rooftop bar too - great cocktails and music. As a gluten free person, this was also a great location - a gf bakery on the next block and Bloom's deli that served amazing gluten free pancakes over the road too. I love walking and this was a great base from which to explore both downtown and all the way up to Moma and Central Park. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

It's an amazing space and I was soooo looking forward to trying here - however I have only rated it average due to our experience.
We headed over to Pod 39 only to get there at 11pm to be told they were no longer serving ! (In the city that never sleeps !! No waaay ) - so we took some pics and went to another rooftop bar where we had no problem Getting a drink