Pod 39 Hotel
$316
$295
  • Restaurant
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
  • Room Service
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$262
$237
Hilton.com
$236
$205
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$177
$170
  • Pool
$400
$341
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$185
$152
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
$265
$212
  • Bar/Lounge
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$249
$80
  • Breakfast included
3,622 results
All reviewssalvation tacogrand central stationrooftop barrooms are smallbunk roomtaco restaurantfrosted glasstop bunkgreat locationnew yorksmall deskmurray hillsliding doorfree wifiprivate bathroomchrysler buildingfew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Unlike previous reviewer's I refuse to state the obvious about room size. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of Feb in a double room, this was our first time in NY and things couldn't be more perfect. POD 39 met all our expectations, the hotel is clean, friendly and in a superb location. The bar was great not only for a couple of drinks and the end of a tiring day but also for the coffee and bagels/pastries in a morning. We were on the 16th floor at the rear of the hotel and could just peek a view of the east river, the room was quiet with a really comfy bed and a fantastic shower, what more do you need?? I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a high floor, away from street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeanette2130
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was my second stay at Pod 39. My last, August 2013, was decent; this time was horrible.

Pod 39's attraction is location and value; the latter is owed to tiny rooms and no frills. It's the place to stay when you just need a bed... You're in NYC, after all, who wants to stay in their room?

My first stay was fine. My son and I were travelling light (so no worries about where to store a big suitcase in the miniscule room) and my son got a kick out off the bunk beds. It was immaculately clean and convenient to Grand Central. The annoying things, which I could overlook because of the price were: only cold water tap at the bathroom basin (i.e., no hot water at the sink). This makes it chilly to wash hands and unpleasant to shave. So shave in the shower, right? Would do, but the rainshower head directly over you and the lack of anti-fog mirror in the shower made that impossible. I guess hipsters don't shave?

This time around, we arrived late at night due to flight delays (thanks, AA) and were greeted by an inept front desk employee who had trouble finding my reservation and then couldn't arrange a later checkout. He said I would have to call the front desk at 8 am to request a late checkout when the 'next shift' started. Keep in mind this is about 2 am and I had a sleepy 6-year old in tow.

We got to our room on the fourth floor and found that the heat had been turned off. It was 57 degrees in the room. I turned on the heater, and it rattled loudly for hours, but only ever got the room to 62 degrees.

I set my alarm and called the Desk in the morning to ask for a late checkout. They told me they "can't do that". To the management: "can't" is a four letter word in the hospitality industry; at least train your staff to say you are fully booked the next night and you have to turn over the room for the next guest; I will know it's BS, but I can't argue it... Just a tip for not ticking off your guests.

We stepped out for breakfast and arrived back precisely at noon (check out time) only to find we had already been locked out... So had to have our key reactivated to retrieve our luggage (annoying).

At check out, nodody asked how our stay was.

The bathroom had mildew in the corners. There was dirt on the carpet. In this particular room, a fire alarm unit with bright green flashing lights was positioned directly over the head of the top bunk... Bright flashes made it hard to fall asleep.

They called me a private car (airport limo) to get to JFK. I asked if the driver would take credit cards. They said, "yes of course". As soon as I stepped in the cab, the driver informed me "cash only", so I had to stop at an ATM before proceeding to the airport.

Overall, I'd say spend an extra 20 dollars and stay at a more traditional hotel. I won't stay at Pod 39 again.

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Mark J
Reviewed February 11, 2014

A friend and I stayed one night at this hotel. We were sceptical at first but quickly fell in love with our mini pod room. Although not big (when your out most of the day it doesn't matter the size), it was great for 2 friends as there were bunk beds so we each had our own bed. The room got warm quite quickly, perfect for when you're coming in from the cold. The shower had great water pressure and temperature and good amenities. We were able to walk everywhere including Times Square, Central Park, shopping areas, and it was nice and close to Grand Central Station which also has shuttle buses that connect you to JFK, LaGuardia and Newark Airports. The staff were friendly and able to leave our bags as we arrived early and leaving later than checkout. The restaurant/bar attached to the hotel had a great vibe and served late. In the end it was great value for money in NYC, good location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank NVP19
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Although the room was very tiny (it's smaller than my walk-in closet), the front desk people were very professional, the room was very clean, and the daytime bell person was very helpful. Additionally, when my flights got cancelled, the hotel waived the cancellation policy and modified my reservation without penalty.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Whisper808
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

The Pod 39 is nice and close to Grand Central and a 10-20 m walk to Times Square. There are no frills here which is good, but the price was a bit much value wise compared to where we stayed on other nights in NY.

The water was also quite dirty which was a shame as well. Otherwise the rooms and rest of hotel was very clean and well presented.

Free wifi made up for a lot of shortcomings though.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Westy722
Tim L, Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Westy722

Thanks for staying with us and sharing to thoughts with us about your recent stay. We are glad you took advantage of our centralize location. Many wonderful attractions just a stroll or a subway ride away. All of our staff work hard to make sure that our guests enjoy themselves while in NYC. We take great pride in all the things we can offer, and Wi-Fi being so essential in today’s world, why not provide our wonderful guest with it free. In regards to our water, our water is supplies by the city. New York City in known for having the cleanest and best tasting tap water in the United States. The pipes in the building that supply the water are new, only being installed with our complete building renovation finished in July of 2013. Our water can appear cloudy which is due to the aeration which prevents the water from being too hot and burning our guests as well as being green by adding air into the stream of water which helps use less water. Thank you for taking the time, especially immediately upon returning home, to share your Pod thoughts. You can always contact me directly if you have more thoughts you would like to share.

Cheers,