“Great atmosphere, great location”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #195 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere, great location”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in here and loved the atmosphere around the hotel with a bar and restaurant in the lobby, ping pong table booths and great rooftop bar, it really captured what New York is all about. Although the rooms are on the small side they are clean, modern and perfect considering you will want to be out exploring or relaxing in other areas of the hotel. Its in a good location and cheap for what you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Eau Claire
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The POD is by no means the Hilton, but it is a perfect little piece of property in an amazing location! The staff is very friendly, with a concierge on staff that helped us arrange discount tickets to Broadway and airport transport.

The rooms are small, but when you're in NYC you are literally in your room to sleep. If you're in your room more than that, you're not taking advantage of what the city has to offer! The decor is very modern and simplistic. The bathroom is a bit strange, with a sliding glass door that is frosted across the middle to cover up your middle. They are by no means sound proof, so make sure you're comfortable hearing your roomies bathroom habits. The shower is huge with a "rain" shower head. There is a small safe in the room to stash your valuables.

The location couldn't be more perfect. It is a short walk (5 min) to Grand Central Station and to TImes Square (10-15 min).

The rooftop bar is the place to be in the evening. Great views of the city! POD people and locals hang out there after work. Bar goers are friendly and we've had interesting conversations with people from around the world. Not being from NYC, I find the prices of drinks a bit spendy, but I think for NYC standards they're pretty reasonable ($8 for a draft beer, $13 for a mojito).

The Salvation Taco restaurant is located just off the lobby. I found it overpriced and small portions, but the quality of the food was decent. It seems to be just as popular a place to hang out as the rooftop bar. They offer coffee and pastries in the morning, but I didn't check it out.

Just down the street is a great little gluten free bakery called Pip's. Even if you're not gluten intolerant, it's got good eats! Just around the corner is a little convenience store where you can pick up snacks and beer. Next door to that is a little pizza parlor with some decent pizza for the late night munches.

Overall, wonderful experience at POD 39! I would definitely recommend for those on a budget!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators, otherwise it could get a bit noisy. I would probably avoid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in June with a girl friend. Overall good value, considering the price we paid for.
Pros:
- close to grand central station, I travelled from Newark airport and took the greyhound bus and it dropped me off just 5 minutes away from the hotel
- room is super clean and modern
- Rooftop bar at the hotel, highly recommend as it is very pretty at night
- The mexican restaurant at the hotel, Best fish taco I ever had
- free wifi
Cons
- Room is tiny. We are 2 small girls but still had a bit trouble moving around after opening our suit cases (we were in a bunk pod)
- Due to the small room size there are not much privacy(including the bathroom) might be more ideal for couple than for friends
- Not super close to the subway, around 10 to 15 mins away
- there was garbage smell in the lobby the entire time we stayed there... But we didn't really hang out in the lobby so didn't bother us much

A thing to note- when we left for the Newark airport we took the advise from the front desk staff and negotiated the price before hopping onto the cab. Ended up saving around $15.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LC1008
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel so much. I have stayed at their other hotel Pod 51 a few years ago so I knew what to expect but Pod 39 is just that little bit better. It's location is a easy 5 minutes from Grand Central station, I caught the subway from JFK and had no trouble finding my way around and there is a lovely cafe just around the corner Blooms deli which I ate at for breakfast two out of my three mornings in NYC.
The rooms are small but everything fits in. The beds and showers are amazing just the thing you need after walking/siteseeing for 8+ hours a day.
This was the second visit to NYC and I will for sure be staying here for my third.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jojo7510
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in May 2013 by myself for my first trip to New York. Small room but from previous reviews I had read I had expected that. The room was clean and tidy and had all the amenities that I needed. Bed was very comfy and shower was perfect after a long day of sightseeing. This hotel is located maybe a 10 minute walk from Times Square and even closer to 5th Ave. I had no issues with the location, it was in a neighbourhood rather than the touristy part of town which I really liked. It was my first overseas trip by myself and I was more than comfortable to venture out at night in the area. I would def stay here again and recommend to friends who want a cheap hotel that is close to the main sight or subway!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Walnut, California
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This year our family vacation called for a trip to New York. We wanted to stay somewhere fun and different in Manhattan that we be memorable for the kids. We definitely did not want to stay at your typical hotel. In the end we decided to give Pod 39 a try even though the best value called for us to go with two rooms (bunk bed version). The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was larger than I had thought it would be. The kids (age 8 and 11) loved it and we also found it to be great as well.

The bar area had two ping pong tables that were available for the kids to play at until 5 pm when the bar opened for service.

The location was perfect for walking to grand central and catching the subway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights and found the hotel fantastic. Rooms are small but are super well designed to put things away so that the room is very workable. Although they have double beds they really only work or 1 person from what I can see. The hotel bar is excellent as well with a rooftop bar, great view and cool crowd. It's also very close to herald sq and easy to get around. The laundromat next door is also great for rush job cleanings and there is a great bagel shop around the corner. Overall the hotel, rooms, bars and staff were great. When I am next over I will most definitely return here. It's an easy choice!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business