“Small, but fantastic!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #195 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Yes its small, yes there is not a lot of room, but who comes to NY to hang out in your room? I had heard the bunk rms were small so I asked for a larger one as we were there for 10 nights (which they were happy to oblige)! I found the staff really friendly, & we were helped a lot with dif tours, etc. Salvation taco downstairs had amazing food & great drink selection. They were even happy to accomodate my travelling partner & made her different food (as she is a picky eater AND a vegetarian)! Another friend stayed in the single bed rm - yes it was small, but it was safe, clean & available @ a reasonable price (she booked 3 days prior to staying).
All in all, this hotel is amazing, especially for what you pay for. I wish I was here in summer to really get the benefit of the 17th floor, but we still made it up there to take some great shots of the view (which is pretty special!).

Room Tip: If your in a bunk, ask for the larger bunk rms - they are near the elevators (ours was 1025), but it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,506)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here for 9 nights. I originally booked for a single room and only slept in it for 1 night as I found it too small. I moved to a Queen for the rest of my stay which was much better. It was quiet at times but you can hear the other rooms opening and slamming their doors at all times. The whole layout was great. The pre authorizations on my card happened several times without letting me know the amounts and their system doesn't allow for the correct amount to be taken upon check in (they couldn't explain it) so they took out over $400 and after checking out on the 25/02/13 I still haven't got my money back. It seemed a bother when I would ask certain things to the front desk or concierge so I stopped asking and worked out things on my own. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Queen is better than single
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Greetings Paula,
Apologies on any confusion regarding credit authorizations, please let us know if all credits have been returned so that we can contact your bank if everything is not resolved. More importantly the service you received is not indicative of the service we provide all of our guests. We pride ourselves in looking for talented staff in order to provide our guests with excellent service. If you would provide us specific feedback in order to address any short coming we would be grateful. Thanks for staying with us and we will make every effort to improve our service and systems based on your feedback.
Cheers,
Scott

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Located on 39th Street, just around the corner of Park Avenue. You will reach almost any destination rather quickly. The rooms are very clean and the people here are all very nice. I for my part have nothing to complain about. The only thing that I have to say, if you are planing on spending a lot of time in your hotel room, the rooms are pretty small. At least the ones I've seen. Besides that probably one of the best hotels, especially for young people.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank FearMyInnerSelf
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Loved it here! It was way better than I expected. What a pleasant surprise! Yes, the room is small but it is immaculate. The room is adorable. Everything necessary is right there. Would definitely stay here again if the price is reasonable. The location is a little off center in the Murray Hill area. However, it only took about 12 minutes to walk to Times Sq. I felt completely safe here at all times. I was a woman alone & walked around at midnight in the winter. The staff was very pleasant. There are a few restaurants on the ground floor but I did not try them. No complaints at all just accolades.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kathy_R-Philly
Reviewed March 1, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you are not claustrophobic, this is the place for you. For $95 (in January) you get a 10x10 room, a double bed and a shower and bathroom seperated by glass walls from the rest of the room. There is also a small desk at the head of the bed. You had better not be shy if sharing the room. The partially frosted glass wall does not offer a lot of privacy. I have no idea where you would put a large suitcase if you were staying for any length of time. Location is good. You are about a 5 minute walk from Grand Central so you can get anywhere in the city pretty easily. Located on 39th between 3rd and Lexington. There are a few good restaurants withing a 2 minute walk. I will use this place again.

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor when staying in New York.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I live in New York but stayed here on the night of my wedding because we had family staying at our place. All of our out-of-town guests stayed here too and everyone loved it.

Here are the pros:

Very affordable. There are not many places in Manhattan where you can get a good room for two for $100 a night. Book in advance, however! Prices can get higher especially on holidays and weekends.

Decent location. It's in midtown east which is a few blocks from Grand Central Station. It's also just across town from Penn Station and about a 15 minute walk to Times Square.

Clean. The place is clean and the staff is super cool.

Great bar and terrace lounge. The terrace on the 17th floor is awesome. The view is spectacular (though I did see that they are building a new skyscraper blocking a good portion of the view of the Empire State Building).

The Cons:
It's really small. Like, really small. I hit my shin three times on the corner of the bed. I marvel at how they actually managed to bring queen beds into the rooms because they just fit. The bed occupies about 80% of the room, not including the bathroom. But, hey, you come to New York to buzz around the city, not the hotel room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple