“Convenient, clean, and cheap!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #196 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here in January and February 2013 as a budget accommodation while doing an internship. The location could not be beat! Really close to Dagastinos (spelling?) a well stocked and decently priced grocery/deli, and lots of great restaurants. It is also incredibly close to Grand Central Station. It's in a slightly more residential neighborhood, which is nice because you get more useful and fun amenities than you receive when staying in Time Square. I stayed twice, once in a single, and once in a double pod, and though they are small, if you are out to see the city or work, it doesn't really matter.

Pros:
Clean and comfortable.
Good layout in small spaces.
Helpful and friendly staff.
Great bar/restaurant in the lobby.
Beautiful rooftop sitting area inside and out.
Fantastic location for transit, shops, restaurants, site seeing, etc.
Free wi-fi and TV (which I watched when Nemo hit NY and I wanted to stay inside)
Comfy bed.
Quiet, I could not hear any of my neighbors when in the room.

Cons:
It was winter, and the head of the bed is always positioned at a window which were not well insulated. I had to sleep with a beanie on because my head just got too cold.
The doors have an issue where they make a mechanical sound during the night, as if someone is trying to open them. I spoke to reception, who said they would look into it, but it happened every night in each of the two separate rooms I stayed in.
Water pressure in shower is weak and can change to drizzle without warning.
Bathroom door is transparant, so be very comfortable with whomever you are sharing a double or bunk room with.
Self regulating heater was incredibly loud. It would wake me up in the night when it would turn on.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Pod 39 Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great hotel for quick trips to New York. The rooms are tiny, but have all you need. They are also very clean and I would prioritize cleanliness over room size any day! The staff is very friendly and there is a fun bar in the lobby. Great location near Grand Central and all midtown attractions.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RIAimee
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The rooms are small, yes. What you would expect in New York City! If you are traveling with someone other than a spouse or very close friend, I would recommend separate rooms, as the bathroom is right beside the bed and does not have doors extending to the (very high) ceilings, and has only frosted doors. Not much will be left to the imagination! The room was cleaned very well every day and we liked the look of the room. The restaurant downstairs was expensive but trendy. Excellent food. We stayed in a double bed room and had enough space for the very little relaxing we did. There is space for storage of luggage, etc. under the bed, which was handy. Very close (walking distance) to Grand Central Station, which is the way to pretty much everywhere! I would definitely stay here again. We stayed for 5 nights and were very happy with everything in this hotel. The elevators are even cool, as they have glass on either side which enable you to see the other 2 elevators and the inner workings of the elevator shaft. A great hotel for a great price in New York City.

1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Totally loved this hotel. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised at how roomy this is. We've been in a small NYC hotel room before, we knew what to expect, and we were prepared to have a room so tight it would just inspire us to get out in the city faster. Amazingly, this place did not do that! We LOVED being in our room, it was so mod/funky and surprisingly spacey for such a small place. The double bed had enough room underneath to tuck away our baggage, the cool bathroom got us nervous at first, with it's glass door and all, but the glass is fogged/blurred in the middle so you can't see the person at all when they are on the toilet. Hidden coat hooks on the wall were a nice touch, windows that actually let in light, neat lil shelf bedside with wire hole and electric outlet right there to plug in your phone. Even the clock was rad. I loved everything about our room, and outside of it was even cooler! The Rooftop Lounge wasn't running due to winter, but it was still open to hang out in. What an awesome view! And in the indoor portion looked incredible too! I think I'd prefer it in the winter, it was real quite and enjoyable. The downstairs bar/lounge was really busy, full of hipster dorks enjoying themselves. Which is fine, I just don't enjoy loud areas.
Anyways, how the heck is this place so cheap!

I don't know if I could handle one of the rooms with a shared bathroom, but next time i stay in NY, this will definitely be where I sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't accidentally book one of the rooms with a shared bathroom NO fridge, but pu...
1  Thank Stu_Pidassle
Reviewed February 19, 2013

POD39 is small hotel, but very clean. The feature of the room are all up-to-date and nothing feels old. The room has a European feel maximizing what little space is available. It was great for just 2 nights in the city, with a great location, just a few blocks from Grand Central. If I had been staying in the city for more than 2 nights, I probably would have preferred a larger room. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. There is even a funky taco bar located in the lobby.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in December.
The room was very small but clean and functional.
Great value and a very good location! Walking distance to Grand central.
Free wifi and helpful staff.
I would definitely go back!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked a queen pod room for Saturday the 16th . Got to the hotel early and hoped for a earlier check in; but room wasn't ready till 3pm which was check in time so I can't complain about that . Check in was not bad and they held our bags for us before check in. We then got into the room and it was much smaller then I thought. It is so bad that if I am sitting on the edge of the bed, I have to move so my wife can get by. Plus as other guests have mentioned you keep banging your knees and hands since everything is so cramped.
Room was nice and modern I do have to say that. Two complaints I had with the room are: toilet seat was loose and crooked but we dealt with it . My major complaint is there were no plastic cups in the bathroom;had to go buy some so I could better rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth.
Overall a "just ok" experience but I will not be staying here again. I think I could have done better for 200 bucks.

Oh, great deals on beer at the bar downstairs , only 15 bucks for a bottle of Corona. I went to the deli on the corner and got my beer ! Good luck

• Stayed: February 2013
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Greetings Mark,
We do practice truth in marketing. We call ourselves a Pod and that's what we provide. Thanks for stopping by and giving us a try. Our Queen Pods do range in size from 100 to 180 square feet so if you ask nicely and we have it available, sometimes we can move guests into larger rooms. It boils down to what is available when you are checking in. I apologize about your toilet seat and we've made it a point to have a staff now checked for anymore. We don't provide plastic cups in the room but there are two glass cups in every bathroom. I'm sorry if we neglected to place any in your rooms for your stay. The Corona you are referring to is actually 32 oz so it's like getting close to three beers for $15. Many tend to overlook its size when looking at the menu. It is really good and fun to share.
Cheers,