“Clean, functional & HIP!!!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #195 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Clean, functional & HIP!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Walked into a minimalist lobby... metro chic (as were the vast majority of the hotel guests). Friendly front desk, was staffed by helpful young men & women. Our queen size room was clean & functional. Bathroom was small but glass enclosure made it, and the room, feel larger. The only thing we didn't "get" was the cold water only sink. If you want space to store a couple of large suitcases, this isn't the hotel for you. Anyone else? Great value for NYC. Would stay here again in a NY minute!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed February 15, 2013

It is my second stay in this hotel. In our second night we have problems with a terrible noise, the front desk asked for an "engineer" to help us - he said it was from the floor bellow and he couldn't do anything as the guests weren't there. After we called the front desk again, they offered another room, we were very tired and decided to wait until next day. In our third night it was necessary to change the room, because the noise was even worst. When we called the front dek we were told to go upstairs to get the key - nobody offered us help to change the room.

In our last night, my husband and I got sick, so I asked for a late checkout. The front desk told us they would charge us a fee - what is ok - but to talk with them again next morning. In the morning, the first lady informed us that the would charge us 50% of night cost to stay until 5pm. A few minutes later, while I was waiting to set it up, I was told that they would charge us another night - to stay four hours more in a room that was available. When I told that I was disappointed, they told me it was hotel policy. If it is the hotel policy, they should have their employees better informed and trained, because I received the wrong information twice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Camila Z
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I'm glad that I read the reviews about the rooms being small and a bathroom that was less than private, as we went in with accurate expectations and couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. While the rooms were small, they made the most of the space and everything was very clean.

Service was quick and friendly, and we found the location to be perfect...we walked almost everywhere or could easily access public transporation when necessary. Ideal.

Our favorite part was the rooftop bar. I mean really, wow! It exceeded expectations and we ended spending way more time there than planned.

If you're looking for nice and simple with a decent pricetag I would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I travelled over 100 nights last year for work and if you're like me then the main thing your looking for is a clean room that is quiet, a convenient location and a price that fits a budget. Pod 39 has all of these.

There are tons of reasonably priced hotels is New York City but the vast majority of them are dumps: old building, old furnishings and not clean.

Pod 39 is none of that.

The lobby is hopping with cool music and hip travellers, it has a great bar and restaurant and the staff was friendly. The only drawback is that the rooms are tiny. And when I say tiny, I mean tiny! The smallest room I have ever stayed in. But in reality why do you need a bunch of space anyway? If you want space check out their roof top deck.

If you plan to spend the day in your room doing work then this place is probably not ideal

If you want a spacious room with an awesome view go to the Helmsley Palace and pay $800 per night.

If you want a good rate, a clean room, a good place to eat and in a convenient location then Pod 39 is a great option.

Oslo
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at Pod 39 in the weekend during the snowstorm. Though check in went smoothly, we didn't get the right type of room. We got a Double Pod instead of Queen Pod which we booked through a third part. The guy at the desk didn't tell about it. It was our first time at Pod 39 and we didn't know what kind of room we got. But when you book a certain type room, you don't have to check if its right type of room. Anyway you will get a message if the right type of room is not available for some reasons. The worst thing that happened during our stay was that we had to move to another room during first night. Because one window was very windy and not dense. It was 60 F (15 Celsius) in the room when I had to call the reception in the middle of night. They moved us to another room and yes it was Queen Pod this time. We didn't figure out how the air condition worked and had to wake up during nights to turn it on because the auto function went to lower temperature after a while. In generally the air condition made a lot of noise. It was always noisy in the room because it was not possible to turn the ac completely off. The room was clean but what can you expect from a hotel that started just some months ago. It can get quite chilly in NY during winter and all you get is a thin polyester blanket. Another ting is that you have to be comfortable with your partner because you can see and hear everything through the frosted glass door in the bath. We will probably not stay in Pod 39.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Pod 51 last year in January and really liked it (I wrote a review here too). This time in NYC I decided to stay at this newly opened Pod 39 Hotel from 2/6 - 2/10/13. Seriously I was a bit worried about the rumored ultra-tiny room (aka a real pod room) but took a chance and booked the single twin bed room with private bath (in the Pod 39 ALL the rooms have private baths - no sharing bathrooms like the Pod 51!) I got an ***incredible*** deal booking a month in advance - it was literally a steal - for hotels in the area are twice, three times and more for their daily room rates! I booked directly thru the hotel website (very easy process).
Ok to make this review easier to read I'm dividing it into the positives, negatives then overall impressions.

Positives:
- Fantastic rates if you book early
- Room is TINY but fully functional, well planned and simply designed, I didn't feel claustrophobic
- Full private bath
- Very comfortable bed, great pillows too
- Good lighting
- Extremely clean room and hotel area
- All the staff were very friendly/helpful (unlike the indifferent arrogant staff of Pod 51)
- Since I went in the winter, the rooms heating worked great and is fully adjustable
- Hotel has lots of open lounge area around lobby for socializing and roof top lounge (saw it but it was too cold)
- Hotel has a Mexican Bar/food "restaurant" on premises called "Salvation Taco". It's more a bar with bar food. It's NOT a typical restaurant like Chiles, etc. No extensive menu, menu selection is very limited. Tacos are VERY small, you need 3 to fill you up. Also the food is not "typical Mexican" its a very creative Mexican food "based" menu, very "different" tastes (see for yourself). Breakfast is very limited too but - again - they use very creative flavors for muffins, loafs, butters ( all great by the way) In the evening - including the after work crowd - during the week, this place is hopping with people, very busy but luckily no music blasting super loud! It's a fun place to socialize.
- Grand Central Station is 3 blocks away, hotel next to Lexington Avenue
- A few little restaurants, pizzerias, burger places around hotel
- Concierge services on-site, in lobby
- Free Wi-Fi all over
- All age groups stayed here, its not for "hipsters" only

Negatives:
- The "rainfall" shower head in bathroom, while it feels great, it does a poor job rinsing you off - not enough pressure, non-adjustable. So if you have a lot of hair, you're going to be in there a long time!
- Location is far from all "major attractions" except Grand Central Station and Chrysler Building. Location is great for business travelers who are doing business in the Murray Hill area.
- Far from major "shopping areas" as well
- The non-conventional onsite "Mexican bar/restaurant" may turn off people because its not a full functioning restaurant with an extensive menu but its great for having drinks socializing
- Rooms have poor noise insulation, you can hear people taking/watching TV in their rooms - across the hall! You can hear people walking in the hallways, slamming doors, elevator 'bings", etc. ***My personal recommendation is to get a room away from elevators, also not directly above the lobby or directly below the roof terrace/lounge. I was away from elevators and still could hear the elevator "bings" - so if you're a light sleeper you might have some issues staying here.
Overall, its a fantastic value hotel.....Now I wish they open another Pod Hotel in the Greenwich Village/Soho/Chelsea/Hells' Kitchen area!

Room Tip: To get the best deal book at least 21 days earlier to arrival. DEFINITELY ask for a room away from e...