“Friday & Saturday Night!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #196 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Friday & Saturday Night!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

First time in a Pod Hotel. Got two nights here for what I'd previously paid for one night at another hotel!! Stayed in a clean, cozy, double room on the 15th floor. Amazing view of the Empire State Building! Unlike Pod 51, all the rooms here have private in-room bathrooms. Roof top lounge closed for the season, but the "Salvation Taco" joint in the lobby was delicious! Everything you want in NYC is a very short walk away. If you're planning an extended in-room stay or suffer from claustrophobia, look elsewhere. As for me, this will certainly be my go-to NYC hotel.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Expect to bump your knees several times on the bed post, stub your toe, and bang your elbow (when brushing your hair, or any other trivial grooming activity!) This place is super tiny! Great location, great trip, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gel_26
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My Husband and I spend New Year's 2013 in New York, our first visit in the BIG Apple and the POD39 was everything we expected and more. In close approximity of the day and night live. All fine dining restaurants. 5 min from Grand Central Station, 10 from Time Square and 20 min from Madison Square Garden. About 15 min from the Fashion district and Empire State bld. With deli's and mini groceries on all blocks, all at walking distances. The hotel has a cosy launch, Restaurant & Bar. The Queen size room we stayed in was perfect, comfortable Bed, excellent housekeeping and staff overall being very helpfull. I would definatily stay at the POD39 again, a moment in time to remember for years to come. Very clean Hotel with Private Bath, for good Budget and specially for couples and friends on the go, looking for a comfy place to sleep in the heart of the bussiest city in New York. It is Highly recommended by satisfied guests of the POD39. Carl & Tswana

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank TNB22
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2013

A small and hip hotel, particularly well suited to a 20 something crowd or anyone on a tight budget. Rooms are miniscule but spotless, with quality mattresses, bedding, finishes and fixtures. I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Room was small as expected, bathroom rules were enforced and basement toilets were particularly useful.
Staff friendly, lifts were interesting and always speedy.

Roof top was amazing even in the cold, the bar area was comfortable only thing lacking is vending machines but would definitely stay again.... On my own though

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Valley, Alabama
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Located just 5 blocks from the Empire State Building and 5 blocks East of Times Square, the Pod 39 has everything you need in a hotel without the frills or High Price. This moderately priced hotel offers you outstanding value. It has brand new rooms, a welcoming staff, coffee shop/bar, big lounge and rooftop gathering place inside and outside. It is a short walk to the heatbeat of NYC.
Rooms are VERY small (like a closet) but big on value. After all, do you come to NYC to Sleep? I think not. No floor space. Room for one in the bathroom, TV at the foot of each bunk, yes I said bunk. I LOVED it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ellenmeadows77
United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights a few days before NYE with my 11-year-old son. He thought the bunk beds with individual televisions were neat, which is the main reason I booked it. We also stayed one night at Pod 51. Of the two, we both *MUCH* preferred Pod 39.

Pros:
- Desk staff was efficient. We arrived after walking three blocks in sleet and hail. The gentleman at the desk was friendly, and had a decent sense of humor while checking us in.
- Check-out was nearly instantaneous, took about 30 seconds, and they emailed me a receipt.
- There are three elevators. They're fast, quiet, and there's a panel that shows you a) which floor it's currently on, and b) which direction it's headed. Very convenient.
- The televisions were newer, and got a lot of different channels. Of course, in a room this size, you're probably not there for the TV. We were both able to watch different shows without the sounds clashing.
- WiFi worked just fine, and the password was given to us at the desk without prompting.
- The rooftop! The view was amazing at night! Not bad during the day either. There's a direct view of the Empire State building.
- Inside on the top floor is a cute little nook area where we saw a lot of people eating breakfast in the mornings.
- Other hotel guests were always rather friendly, saying hello or nodding a greeting if you made eye contact. Sort of weird in New York, you know? One gentleman in the elevator urged us to see the top floor, otherwise I'm not sure we'd have gone up. It has that kind of atmosphere, and I enjoyed it. The hotel is definitely geared towards an under-30 crowd (of which I am no longer a part of), but I didn't feel out of place with my son, and I also saw several duos of older women (60's) traveling together. It had a fresh atmosphere, but, unlike Pod 51, didn't feel like it was trying too hard to be modern and edgy. I did not see a lot of young kids, which makes sense as this is not exactly a family-friendly hotel, what with the room sizes.
- Location. I thought the location was decent. It's a straight three block walk down Lexington from Grand Central (even in hail and sleet it wasn't bad), and another few blocks from the orange line at Bryant Park.
- Another plus was that it's a 300-or-so foot walk to Scotty's Diner, a 24-hour restaurant around the corner that had decent food, decent prices, huge servings, and an amazing atmosphere. Ask my 11-year-old what his favorite part of our three-night trip was, and he'll tell you Scotty's and the Natural History Museum.
- Rooms were spotless. I'm used to wearing white socks and finding them filthy after walking across hotel carpet; not so with Pod 39. Clean carpets as well as a spotless bathroom - maybe my standards are too low, but I'm impressed! ;)
- The windows open, which allows for some extra airflow. There are no screens on the windows. I liked the shutters.
- There was no noise from the hallways or adjoining rooms. It was quite peaceful, actually. On the 12th floor, we were high enough up that noises from the street weren't too noticeable, either.
- They check your bags for the day after you check out! Excellent news! They were very friendly about it, both on drop-off and pick-up.
- The shower is pretty amazing. The showers at Pod 51 are similar, but seriously, the ones at 39 are amazing. However (this is more of a con), definitely make sure you're already undressed before you try to turn the water on, or you will completely drench your shirt, as I did. It comes straight down from the shower head in the middle of the shower stall ceiling.

Neutral:
- Heating is forced air from a vent at the ceiling. It worked well, however, because it came from the ceiling, the top bunk got MUCH warmer than the bottom bunk. I'm always freezing and my kid was too hot, so I ended up stealing the comforter from the top bunk. Problem solved, if a little annoying.
- The room was tiny. As expected. I thought it was kind of cute and had no issues with it for just the two of us.
- There is no closet, however there's a bar with hangers at the end of the bed (above the safe), and several notches that will hold coats and things.
- The safe worked as expected; it was rather roomy, actually.
- Rooftop bar was closed (we knew it would be), but still an amazing view. If you stay here, definitely go up at least twice - during the day and at night.
- There are iPads stuck to the walls downstairs that you can use for the Internet. I didn't use them, but they kept my 11-year-old interested while we were in the lobby.

Cons:
- So, let's talk about the bathroom with the frosted glass. I thought, well, it's just me and my kid, it shouldn't be too bad, right? Yeah, no. The frosting only goes up to about neck level, after that, it's clear. There's a mirror from chest level up inside the bathroom. This means that if a person is sitting or laying on the top bunk, they can see inside the bathroom - the entire bathroom. This is a little awkward when getting into or out of the shower. It's still doable, but if you're traveling with someone you're not intimate with or related to, I would probably pass on this hotel. Using the bathroom in general is a little bit uncomfortable, as there's absolutely no buffer for sound. Awkward!!
- The bathroom door slides shut and has a hole opening where the doorknob would be. Our door, however, didn't actually close all the way, leaving about a 1.5" gap to look into. I generally just held it shut with my fingers sticking out through the hole.
- No fan in the bathroom. Our bathroom had a window, so I'm not sure if not having a fan is standard in all rooms, or if it just didn't have one because we have a window (since most building codes dictate that you have to have one or the other).
- The room only comes with two relatively small bath towels, two hand towels, and one floor mat. No face cloths, which wasn't a huge issue for me, but I really need a third towel to dry my hair, and it always frustrates me when rooms don't have an extra towel.

Overall, this hotel was awesome. I think it was a little overpriced for what you get, but the atmosphere was a lot of fun, and the view from the top of the hotel, as well as the proximity to a diner we absolutely loved, was definitely worth the cost. I would recommend.

If you're looking for a comparison between 39 and 51, the main differences are as follows:
- 39 is much, much newer than 51.
- The heating system at 39 was more efficient than at 51, where it took an hour for the heat to kick in.
- Private bath at 39 versus shared bath at 51. (The shared bathroom and shower was clean at 51 and we had no problems with them being occupied, however a private bath is always nicer, especially if the rooms are the same price.) That being said, I still think that the shower at 39 is better than the one at 51.
- Both rooms have hairdryers. Both rooms have a sink and a mirror. Both rooms have soap bars, and face lotion, however only 39 had shampoo and conditioner packets.
- 51 had more towels than 39, and had washcloths.
- Honestly, everything at 51 was just much more run down. The hallways were darker and more depressing, the walls were ridiculously thin - a bell hop was in the hallway at 5am talking so loudly to a couple just checking in that it woke me up! - and you could hear every door slam in the entire hallway.
- Both hotels will check your bag for the day after you check out.
- The TVs at 39 are bigger and newer; the coloring on the our TVs at 51 were grainy and pink, although that might've just been in that room.
- The desks and chairs are the same, and the clocks are newer at 39 but you get an actual alarm clock at 51.
- Both hotels have shutters on the windows. I'm sure view depends on what floor you're on. 3rd floor at Pod 51 was not too impressive, but I was happy enough with the 12th floor at Pod 39.

Given the choice between the two, I'd pick 39 over 51 any day of the week.

Room Tip: The higher the floor number, the better the view. Maybe try to ask for one that has a view of the Em...