“Good Value!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #197 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Writing this review on the upper bunk of my room at Pod 39 right now!

LOCATION - this hotel is easy to find after alighting from the airport express bus at Grand Central Station. Just walk 2 streets up to east 39 street, make a left, continue 2 blocks down and you're here at Pod 39!

CHECK IN - we arrived at 5plus in the evening. The process was quick and easy. We were assigned a room and given 2 complimentary tickets for drinks on the rooftop bar.

Room - yes, it is small but for the two of us, it 's honestly not that bad! We placed all our luggages at one corner and it's easy for us to move around. Our bunk beds are cool. We have individual TV sets, charging area for each bed. The bathroom is functional and very clean.

Overall, this is a hotel of good value. It has everything you need in a clean room, well located and this makes you go 'This is such a cool place!'

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grace K
There are newer reviews for Pod 39 Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I sought out an economical hotel room in NYC and found the perfect place at Pod 39. It is tight which is fine. Bathroom is all in one. If you are traveling by yourself or one other, this place will work great. Nice TV, good climate, fantastic location and friendly serve. I

I always check hotels for bed bugs. My only compliant was there was some hair between the mattress and the platform, but I can live with it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JTCFIA
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had all the space we needed. It was great. The frosted glass bathroom door can make it a little awkward if you aren't with someone you are completely comfortable with though. The roof top view is incredible. It is close to everything and lots of yummy places to eat and drink at close by.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I've been debating what to write in this review, because my stay wasn't terrible, but I don't honestly think I would go back.

I knew the rooms would be small and that it was a no-frills kind of place, but I still think it's overpriced for what it is. This trip was fairly last minute and I couldn't find much available so I decided to try this place based on the reviews. I guess people have different expectations and needs than I do, because I was disappointed.

I'll start with the good points:
-The front desk staff were friendly and courteous.
- I was able to check in early
-The room was clean
-The location isn't bad
-There is a mini safe and free wifi
-Individual AC/Heat control.
-Multi format data port/usb/hmdi hub above desk.
-I anticipated a small room, so that didn't bother me .I've stayed in smaller BUT there is no way I could share this double room with anyone due to space and lack of bathroom privacy, despite the frosted glass doors.

Not so good points:
-I booked a double room based on the photos on the website. They are inaccurate and do not portray the layout of a double.
-The head of the bed was in the middle of the room, rather than agaisnt the wall, which I found odd and uncomfortable. Laying in bed your head is about 5 feet from the toilet and 3 feet from the hall door.
-The bathroom was nicely designed, but the sleeping/sitting area (and hallways) are drab and dreary. It reminded me of a dormitory room or a hospital rooms with cheap IKEA type furniture with weird 60s style panelling on part of the wall.
-The sink faucet wasn't aligned with the drain, so when I turned it on, it sprayed out onto the floor. I had to strand to the side of the sink not to get sprayed.
-There wasn't enough shelf/sink/work space in the bathroom for toiletries and towels.
-The fan/heat/ac system is loud. That kind of noise really doesn't bother me (but it would bother other people). I actually kept mine on all night to block out other noises. My floor would vibrate when the unit in the room below me went on.
-There was some kind of loud motor/vibration noise on the other side of the building. I couldn't hear it in my room, but I could hear it every time I went in the hallway.
-You can hear every word said in the hallway and adjacent rooms. You hear your neighbours' sink, shower and toilet.
-Windows open but are not very sound proof. You need to be on a high floor if street noise bothers you.
-My door wouldn't close tightly enough to lock it unless I slammed it. From the sound of things, others had the same problem.
-The street outside the hotel, the lobby area and my room near my window smelled of fried food in the afternoon, but not late at night. I don't know if this was from the bar/restaurant area in the lobby or from something else on the street.
-The roof top bar is closed at this time of year.
- A lot of little extras you expect are missing - like tissues, extra toilet paper, hand soap, face clothes.
-There are no tea/coffee making facilities in room. Not a problem for some but a necessity for me.
-There is nowhere comfortable to sit and stretch your legs in your room except on the bed.

Matters of personal taste:
-Some people describe the style of the lobby/hotel as trendy, modern, sleek or hip. I thought it was cold, hard and unappealing. I though the hallways upstairs were bleak and dreary (gray, dark blue, black and tan) and the room decor ugly and cheap. (The website makes it look much more appealing but I think most of those photos are from Pod 51).
-The Mexican-Hipster bar adjacent to the lobby isn't my kind of thing. I'm not sure how noisy this place gets I was out from mid-afternoon until after 1 AM and then left before 9AM. That could be a problem on lower floors.
-In general I think this hotel is geared to an under 30s crowd (I'm in my mid 40s, so I guess I'm not the core target audience.)

Really don't think I would stay again. I was lucky with a quiet night's sleep because I came in very late and woke up early, but I fear I wouldn't find the place quiet enough under normal circumstances. As the rooms are so small, you are physically much closer to the person in the next room and the hallway, than in normal hotel rooms.

I definitely would not recommend the place for business travel (if you have to manage wearing a suit and not looking rumpled) or if you have any luggage bigger than an overnight/weekend bag.

I also would not recommened for children, families, anyone elderly or extened visits.

It's really just a place to crash and shower, not a place to relax after a busy day.

Perhaps with better soundproofing, more cheerful rooms and a bit of re-arranging, the small rooms would be more comfortable.

Room Tip: Book the biggest room you can afford and insist on a high floor, facing the street - and don't e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Hampsteader
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Pod 39 seemed like a fun, modern hotel but when we walked into our room, we just laughed because it was the size of a walk-in closet--a small one. Cold air came through the shuttered windows and there is little privacy in the bathroom, since only a portion of the glass entry and shower doors are frosted. It was close to Grand Central Station which was a plus and the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank adrienne_11
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed the with a friend for six nights. We chose the cheapest room with a queen size bed. The room was small, mostly a bed and a small bathroom. However there was room for the suitcases under the bed for storing (that we had to use to have any space for moving around). The bathroom had only glass walls (frosted), so there wasn't much privacy when using it. The TV was small and placed in a corner, so we didn't use it much even though it has lots of channels.

The view of empire state building was amazing, and the rooftop had a very nice seating area with nice lighing and extraordinary view. It's a bar during the summer. The common areas was very small, so there wasn't really anything to do in the hotel. There was a small bar connected to the hotel, but the drinks we had there weren't very good. The room looked clean and was washed every day, but since it was very small the air got very heavy if we didn't air out during the day (especially after showering). Cheap and had everything you needed for somewhere to sleep and store the suitcases.

We really loved the neighborhood. It was close to grand central terminal and not very far from 5th avenue. The neighborhood also has lots of nice little places to eat and lots of shops everywhere so we got a feeling of being in the middle of the city. Not that many clubs or even bars that we could see tough.

We would definently stay there again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed in a 75 square foot room with a double bed on the 6th floor for 1 week from Nov. 13 to 19. The room did not feel as small as I had anticipated. In fact the layout was really good and there was some room to move near the desk and TV. The room was perfectly clean, towels and soaps changed daily and beds were neatly made. Shower was great; there was plenty of hot water. Only problem we had was that it was extremely noisy at night when the heat came on. We ended up turning our heat off, but we would still hear a loud rattling sound that vibrated through the walls and ceiling when the heat/AC came on in a room across or down the hall on our floor. Also, the clock in our room would make a sudden weird, loud buzzing noise at midnight, which is disruptive if you go to sleep earlier. Given that POD 39 is only 6 min walk from Grand Central Station and there are a number of good eateries in the area, I'd say the benefits outweigh the negatives. I would recommend this hotel as a convenient and affordable accommodation especially for a first trip to New York.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family