“a good choice in Manhattan”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
it
“a good choice in Manhattan”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After a long search, I opted for the Pod 39 due to the price and location.
The location is fantastic, you can walk anywhere from there.
I was fully aware of the dimension of the rooms and the building construction works still on by the previous reviews.
The hotel is brand new (therefore the carpet in the room is still clean!).
The check-in was quick, even too quick I must say, as there was no mention at the time of the card transaction of an extra charge as deposit... I was informed by a text message from Visa instead of the receptionist in front of me! I do not mind the deposit if required, but I expect to be immediately informed by a member of staff.
The hotel has a small hall with a couple of sofas and 4 i-pads on the wall for customers use which I personally appreciated.
The doubleroom was a corner room at the 14° floor with 3 small windows (2 by the bed and 1 in the bathroom) with enough light and air and it was quite clean. Towels and toilettries provided.
The first impression once I opened the door was "OMG! how can I survive here for a week?!" but I have to say that after the first day, it was absolutely fine. As you can see from the pictures the space between the bed and the bathroom is tiny. There is no closet but just a few hangers.
You need to put your suitbag underneath the bed as there is no much space to move otherwise.
The rain shower is not powerful enough and this is a minus point for me, also there is no full-length mirror.
In my opinion, they should have studied the room space better, like using bed which transforms to a sofa (like yohotel) and also, what is the point of using the carpet in a new hotel? it gets dirty and dusty very quickly.
The roof terrace is amazing, unfortunately the evening we decided to go, it was packed with drunk people.. and also the bar staff was quite drunk and did not pay us any attention so we left disappointed.
I am not sure if it is open just to the hotel customers or to the public as well...
I think there should be a better control at the hotel entrance of people coming and going for security issues. I felt that anyone could just walk in and get to the elevator.
I would say that it is a good choice to stay in Manhattan, but it should be cheaper due to the size of the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My friend and I stayed 2 nights and when first opening the door to our room there was a bit of "gettiing used to"(and laughter!) the compact space! We both thought that the space was similar to that of being on a yacht ! The bunk beds were very comfortable,although the ladder to the top seemed narrow and uncomfortable on bare feet-(think metal file texture), but once you land on the comfortable top bunkbed, the TV at the end of the bed and the view of the Empire State building from the pillow ...was amazing.The bathroom was modern ,clean, great shower...frosted glass sliding door allowed some privacy, but the proximity to bottom bunk reminds you again of the close quarters. Our windows opened to a spectacular view of NYC and the rooftop bar was a real plus! Lobby Restaurant was not open yet,but free coffee and granola bars was a welcome surprise. Every staff member was courteous and helpful.
We requested extra towels and pillows and received them quickly with a smile. My friend and I agreed that the great location (short walk from Grand Central Station),reasonable price and comfortable stay contributed to an overall great experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Deborah G
Milton, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Pod 39, Queen room. It was very very small. The bed took 80% of the room, with just enough walking space surrounding it. Despite the size, we absolutely loved staying there. It was very clean, comfortably modern, and surprisingly quiet. The staff were very helpful and very nice. Every morning before 10, there's a table set up in the lobby with free coffee and granola bars. It was perfect for us since we just wanted to grab something and get on with the sight-seeing and shopping. A few negatives. One: there was no closet, just a few hangers in a corner by the door. Two: there was no full-length mirror. It would have been extremely helpful to have more than one mirror in the room so my boyfriend and I wouldn't have had to climb over one another to use the mirror in the washroom every morning. Three: the pillows were horrible. Other than those few things, Pod39 was everything we wanted for a decent price. Just based on the cleanliness and friendly service, I'd give it a 4 star rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was quite disappointed in Pod 39. Rooms were fine although could do with some artwork on the wall. Beds were comfy and the place was reasonably clean. There was a definite element missing with the staff - they didn't seem at all interested in their guests and I suspect they are understaffed. More often than not there was only one person on the front desk when there are 16 floors of rooms - pretty ordinary service to be honest. I expected the place to at least be finished as I was paying $225 a night - the lobby was a partial construction site! Breakfast is empty pots of coffee (no-one around to refill) and muslei bars but no where to sit and and meet other guests. The elevators are not working and three nights running I waited over 15 mins for a lift to my room on 16th floor (too far for stairs). None of this is a real problem but I was paying top dollar - that is simply not on in my book and the place should be a discount rate until they finish it. It didn't have the hip vibe they market, no vibe at all really. Bar was nice I suppose but again, a few types of wine (which weren't that good) and overpriced with no real "feel" to the place. My only real complaint is the price is too high and I've stayed in much nicer digs for less money in NYC - otherwise it's OK but certainly not worthy of their own hype.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank teekay341
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed one night here and yes it was small, but it was all I needed. The room had a comfortable bed, was clean and very modern. When you're in New York, who needs more than that. It's a place to sleep. The staff was very friendly and I even got into my room before checkin time. That isn't to say it's perfect for everyone. I was solo, but if I were traveling with someone, I'd like more privacy with the bathroom. The sliding glass door doesn't really close everything off. Also, it took awhile for the hot water to kick in and the rain shower wasn't very strong. But for the price, location, and convenience, I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

No one comes to NYC for the rooms, so this was the perfect place for a solo traveler. The room was spacious enough for everything I needed, had electronic hook ups for all occasions, lots of storage space for the amount of square feet, as well as a surprisingly comfortable bathroom/shower space.

I loved that the decor was more modern, with a great impression upon walking in. The staff all seemed cool and hip, while still having an element of professionalism. Everyone was friendly and despite my locking my key In my room a solid two times, and being the picky traveler who needed an extra pillow, I was never given attitude or shown frustration.

As for location, it is conveniently located a few blocks from Grand Central, and within walking distance of Times Square. There is a great Tavern on Park, as well as a fantastic sushi place on 3rd. Taxis are easy to come by, and the staff will help with any bags.

Overall, definitely will be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, but the hotel room design was just weird. I know it was a discount price point, but sometimes things seemed cheap for the sake of being cheap, and there was an unusual hair mosaic in the shower. I've been in other hotels geared to a business traveler on an economy budget that seemed to accommodate my in-room needs more. But again, the staff was great, location was convenient being off Lexington Ave, so fairly close to the 6 Train or Grand Central, and not hard to get a cab. If all you need is four walls and a bed that isnt next to the airport, it's perfect. Decent Italian restaurant called Sam's Place right nearby too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business