“Small space, but a big Impression”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #196 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Small space, but a big Impression”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

No one comes to NYC for the rooms, so this was the perfect place for a solo traveler. The room was spacious enough for everything I needed, had electronic hook ups for all occasions, lots of storage space for the amount of square feet, as well as a surprisingly comfortable bathroom/shower space.

I loved that the decor was more modern, with a great impression upon walking in. The staff all seemed cool and hip, while still having an element of professionalism. Everyone was friendly and despite my locking my key In my room a solid two times, and being the picky traveler who needed an extra pillow, I was never given attitude or shown frustration.

As for location, it is conveniently located a few blocks from Grand Central, and within walking distance of Times Square. There is a great Tavern on Park, as well as a fantastic sushi place on 3rd. Taxis are easy to come by, and the staff will help with any bags.

Overall, definitely will be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, but the hotel room design was just weird. I know it was a discount price point, but sometimes things seemed cheap for the sake of being cheap, and there was an unusual hair mosaic in the shower. I've been in other hotels geared to a business traveler on an economy budget that seemed to accommodate my in-room needs more. But again, the staff was great, location was convenient being off Lexington Ave, so fairly close to the 6 Train or Grand Central, and not hard to get a cab. If all you need is four walls and a bed that isnt next to the airport, it's perfect. Decent Italian restaurant called Sam's Place right nearby too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at Pod 39 for 6 nights in late September. Our bunk room was compact and bijou but we didn't feel cramped at all. In fact I am pretty sure we had more space than the last time I stayed in a twin room in NYC. The price of $179 a room was pretty unbeatable for any room in New York. There is still some work going on around the hotel, but we didn't experience any disruption from it.

The hotel itself is in a great location, a couple of blocks from Bryant Park, Grand Central, the Chrysler Building and other major sights. There are also loads of diners and shops in the area if you want to pick up some cheap food. The reception is very funky and the staff are very helpful. There is a small concierge desk in reception to assist you with excursions and tickets and Ipads so you can access the internet. Free wifi and coffee in the mornings was also very welcome!

The bar on the 17th floor was a real surprise, not only is it very cool with fabulous cocktails, but it has amazing views over the Empire State Building.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Pod 39 and will be recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paloma34
Somewhere
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent 4 nights there, and final price was $ 860...not so cheap, considering the small surface of our room. Toilet behind the glass is very fashionable, but really not practicle. Location is grat, and people at the front desk are very kind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ciribillis
melbourne
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Pod 39 for 5 nights in late August this year. We got an unbeatable price for the bunk bed room and decided to overlook the fact that the hotel would perhaps be not quite finished at the time of our stay, as well as the small rooms, for the savings we would make. We stayed at the hotel Giraffe for the later part of our 12 night trip to NYC (see separate review).

The first room we were sent to, after a quick checkin, was uninhabitable. By that I mean that it was so tight spacewise that we could not get our two suitcases in the room and hope to shut the door. We went back down to reception and asked for a room with a better layout. Although the attitude was frosty we were given another room which was adequate. There is no getting around the fact that the rooms are tiny. However, I think that the room we had was quite well designed and made good use of the space available. We pretty much had to sit on our beds when in the room, although there was a desk and chair. But the beds were very comfortable, the room was spotless and thoroughly cleaned each day.

The bathroom was spacious, relatively speaking, and the shower nice and hot although I would have liked a bit more water pressure. I liked the toiletries provided, and replenished daily. Others have commented on the privacy issues of the glass-walled bathroom, so I'll just second that there is really no place to hide!

A major negative for me was that the room faced into an internal light shaft and so the room was gloomy. However, it must be said that we had asked for a quiet room at the time of booking and so I imagine these are deemed the quiet ones. And they were; we slept well. Except for one night when maybe the lifts weren't working or there was a big queue for them coming down from the rooftop bar, and we were disturbed by the sound of high heels clattering down 7 flights of stairs!

The hotel is well located: subway/Grand Central nearby and we walked everywhere Midtown (Fifth Ave/Madison Ave shopping, Rockefeller Centre, Library, Central park etc). There is not a huge amount of options for eating at night in the vicinity, although the upscale market at Grand Central was good, as was the Oyster bar. It is a fairly quiet area at night.

We had drinks one night on the rooftop and it is a lovely spot with quite breathtaking views. However it was very crowded and on a couple of nights, upon returning to the hotel, there was a line outside the hotel for the bar.

The two main negatives for me: the staff had pretty high opinions of themselves and the WiFi was abysmal.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms in terms of the design quirks, functionality and cleanliness. And while the price could not be beat, I would probably only stay here again if I was solo and I could get a room with a bit more natural light.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jacq67
Sunnyvale CA
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Tiniest room ever for $250 USD per night. Good and friendly service from front desk, concierge and housekeeping. The room was clean and wifi speed was excellent. Even so, my hubby and I found that the room was just too small for us. We were supposed to stay 5 nights but changed hotels after 2 . For just a bit more, one can find nicer digs both in amenities and size.

On a positive note, the free walking tour of the Meatpacking district was quite good.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, try to get the biggest room