“Wonderful rooftop!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #200 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It is a new and simple hotel located near Central Station and Empire State.
Clean, nice people, simple room, not so big as desired but comfortable.
Amazing and romantic rooftop in the 17th floor with Empire State views!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,456)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed their 3 nights
It will have been perfect if the hotel did not repair one of their 3 elevators at 1 am in the morning!!!! Banging like crazy impossible to sleep!! For one night why they did not wait in the morning??they had 2 other one!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I are in the midst of our week-long stay. We are quite pleased with the hotel! We have one with a queen sized bed on the 12th floor. We are both very accustomed to small-space living (we live in a small apartment in downtown Seattle) so the relative small space is no issue. Sometimes when we travel our hotel rooms are ridiculously-large. But we are both cuddlers and prefer being next to each other as much as possible. (Awww, how cute! Shutup.)

The room is based around a queen-sized bed (it looks like a full-size though, little smaller than a queen.) The bed is very comfortable and the sheets are nice. The top cover, blanket, whatever it is called is a little heavy and rough. One side of the bed has a little shelf. Both sides have independent lights that do not dim. The overhead lights do dim, which is very nice. There are three windows in this corner unit that open (!) and are covered with heavy-duty black shutters that make the room as dark as a cave. The air conditioning works flawlessly and provides a great white noise for those who like that. There is a desk that has more electronic outlets than I have ever seen in a hotel room. I think the bulk of them are to connect devices to the medium sized flatscreen TV (which happily has lots of channels including HBO and Showtime). There is a small coat rack, safe and chair. And lots of storage slots under the bed for the luggage. There is enough room to walk around the bed. We especially liked the view we had of downtown and the Empire State Building. With the windows closed it was very quiet.

The bathroom. Well, it's interesting. The bathroom is based around a very large shower with a great rainfall shower head. The sink is tiny but great. The toilet is, ummm, good I guess (toilets are hard to rate). The glass door that separates the bathroom from the bedroom is less private than we are used to. I mean, it looks cool in pictures. I would have preferred a metal pocket door instead of a glass one. Travel diets and bodily functions being what they are, it's sometimes nice to have a personal buffer zone. But I won't subtract any stars for that - it's a design decision and I think it works fine. I'm willing to experiment with new closeness for the right price and this is definitely the right price.

We found the WiFi to be great, too. I am able to do my regular web stuff with no problem at all. We had a little snafu at check-in: we were assigned a room, went to it, and there was somebody in it already (that's not something I have every experienced!) The staff was quick to correct the mistake (I think it was a very temporary computer glitch). But it gave me some pause to consider room security.

In the morning, the hotel provides coffee and breakfast bars in the lobby. The lobby has some iPads on the wall for last-minute surfing and directional help. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a higher corner room away from elevators?
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sumowondertoad

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed at Pod 39 for 3 nights. I was solo and stayed in a single room. As others have said, this is an excellent option for those seeking clean and modern budget accomodations in a convenient location. The room is very small, but has almost everything you need. Storage is minimal, but I was able to put my (not small) suitcase under the hanging space, and was able to tuck my shopping acquisitions in the open space under the bed so I wasn't tripping over things. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is (or seems) quite spacious and has all the amenities. Wifi was excellent. In the morning there are coffee and juice (no tea) and energy bars (if you get there early) in the lobby. The location is very convenient to public transportation--5 minute walk to Grand Central Station, with the 4,5,6 and shuttle to Times Square subway lines, and a few minutes walk to the 34th or 42nd St. crosstown buses. There is a supermarket around the corner on 3rd Ave.

Negatives: Because of the size of the room the TV (flatscreen and excellent HD, the the way, and the most channels I've seen offered in any hotel) is too close to the bed. You also have to sit up sideways in order to see it. In addition, the bed/desk light can only be put on/shut off via the wall switch by the door, so you have to get out of bed to do this. It would be helpful if there were written information about the hotel available in the room.

I would definitely consider staying here as a solo traveler. I would probably not stay here with a partner. The room is too small (unless there are substantially larger ones) and the sliding glass door between the sleeping area and bathroom affords little privacy.

3  Thank nosaat
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I visited NYC from Australia for the first time recently and stayed at the Pod 39 for 13 nights. I knew what to expect in terms of room size and the fact that the hotel was still very much under construction - and I loved it!

The service at the front desk was always warm and helpful, the rooms had everything I needed and at the end of a long day exploring the city were a welcome place to lay my weary head and plan the next day's adventures. The rooftop terrace bar opened when I was there and it has amazing views of the city (check it out for sunset drinks!), especially of the Empire State Building through the arches on the terrace - superb :-)

I found the location of the hotel to be great, close to Grand Central, shopping on 42nd St and of course the wonderful bar that is Margarita Murphy's on the cnr of 3rd Ave and E49th (love those guys). A big plus for me also was the free wi-fi so that I could upload all the photos I'd taken each day so that friends back home could stay up to date with my adventures.

I plan a return trip to NYC for Christmas 2013 and this is where I will be staying - great value for money.

Room Tip: I travelled solo and chose a double bed but think it would be quite cramped with two people.
1  Thank rhid78
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Small, very clean and tidy room. Modern decoration and confortable bathroom. Just what you need to take a hot bath after walking the whole day around the city, to be ready to gou out for a blast! Just three blocks away from Grand Central. Great location and friendly staff.

1  Thank Portenita