“Not for the business traveler”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #203 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel has a very limited number of irons. It took 6 hours the first day to get an iron, and on two other occassions, I was put on a list and was never given one. WiFi was spotty, due to capacity issues. No ice or beverage machines on the premises. The TV only had four stations my first night there, which was remedied shortly.
For the most part, the staff was friendly. Housekeeping sometimes replaced the bath mats and provided new soap/shampoo, but sometimes just took the old ones. The room is small, but not uncomfortable.
If you are going to NYC to sightsee, this hotel maybe ok. If you are going to do any type of business, or if you need to connect to your home office via the internet, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank J N
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear J N,
We have corrected many of the issues you spoke of (HD cable TV in all rooms, reliable WiFi access and more irons available on request). Since your stay we have continued to train our housekeeping staff so that you can expect regular services daily. Now you can also connect to the internet via a cabled connection through the phone in case the WiFi acts temperamental. We hope that these fixes address all of your issues. Please stop by and experience our new rooftop lounge.
Cheers,
Scott

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The price here is fantastic. You save over a hundred per nigh considering other hotels in midtown.
The room is so small that we didn't like it at first. But you really get used to it because from the second day you'll be all exhausted from tons of activities and night lives that NYC offers you.

Cable is working now. We were watching Olympics and Friends in HD at hotel if we were too tired to stay out. (we've already traveled 15 days up). Bed super comfortable. Air conditioner functions really well and efficient but noisy when fan is on. cleanse.l cleaned everyday. Three blocks form Grand Central Terminal, and pharmacies (super market) and banks are everywhere near.
The Best part of the hotel is that they have "nice, warm, smiley, talkative, helpful and polite staffs".

Two things to advice:
- Irons are in high demand that we asked for two times but it never made it to my room.
- Water temperature is very hard to set as it responces very slowly upon your control.

Recommend if you'd like to save money for a great broadway show or thousands of gift shops and restaurants.

** DO NOT take a shultle or bus from LGA airport if more than two people. Cab is much better. About the same price, you save approximate 30 mins or more and you get air conditioning.

2  Thank PoLikesToTravle
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed in the bunk bed room, and my son's first impression was.....Jail Cell. I thought the room was well designed,and functional. It had everything one needed in a room,.......comfortable beds,with individual bed lights and TV's(cable worked), in room safe,storage shelf and a desk. The bathroom is roomy, with a rain shower, and adequate space for toiletries.(no blow dryers yet) However, the glass sliding door does not provide full privacy. Everything is new and clean, and the staff are always friendly and helpful. There is ongoing construction, but it never disturbed us. The location is good, near subway and shopping, and for the price we got a great deal.

3  Thank shari f
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The room is small, hence the name "Pod". Very clean and helpful staff. No cable yet. No dining room/restaurant yet. Complimentary coffee and orange juice in the lobby in the morning. We stayed right across the elevator and you could hear everything. The downside to this hotel is that the bathroom is a glass wall with a sliding door and frosted glass only in the middle. From the bottom bunk, you can see everything the other person is doing. The way to slide the door open and close is a hole in the door which also allows you to see everything. The faucets only have one knob which you have to turn all the way to the end, wait until the water heats up, then adjust back down to the temperature you want. There was no hairdryer in the room. You have to go down to concierge but they have limited supply so they told my sister to go back down in half and hour to check if one was returned and available. Free wifi.

4  Thank virgo1980

Dear "virgo1980",
Your feedback is appreciated. We now have hairdryers and HD cable TV in all of our rooms. While your particular Bunk Pod's bathroom was across from the bed, less than half of our Bunks have this layout. In the remainder of the Bunks, the bathroom is on the other end of the room as the beds so nothing is visible. Our restaurant will be serving soon so please stop by and let us know how we're doing then.
Cheers,
Scott

Reviewed August 7, 2012

On a recent trip to New York (27 to 30 July), we opted for the Pod 39 hotel. It is located at 145 E39 Street between Lexington and Thord Avenues, and is walking distance from Grand Central Station and Port Authority. It is not far from Bryant Park, and there are subway stations nearby. We walked to Grand Central and took the Shuttle train (gray S) from there to 42nd (Times Square) and elswhere in the city.

We were concerned about the hotel, but we need not have been. True, the rooms are small and ours had bunkbeds, butthere was adequate room for the two of us. The shower was a decent size and had lots of hot water, but I'd have rather had a standard shower head from the wall than the one positioned right above my head in the ceiling. That said, the shower was good, and with it having been hot and humid while we were there that shower (and the air conditioning!) was most welcome.

The staff at this hotel is excellent. Every question got an answer right away. We had one small issue with the phone, being unable to make or receive calls thoughthe phone indicated it was functional. I went to the front desk to let tehm know, and the receptionist told me she'd send someone up in about 10 minutes. I had time to get to my room and just got the door closed when soemone knocked. It was the guy sent to check the phone - and not even 3 minutes had passed!! I was most impressed.

The bunkbeds were kind of fun, but getting onto the top one proved a challenge for me. There was little space to move in to get to the ladder, and it was, being metal, very uncomfoprtable on my feet, but still I managed it each of the 3 nights. The bed itself was comfortable and I slept very well.

Each of the beds had its own TV with remote control, but neither of them worked because the cable or satellite had not yet been connected. No matter we were up and out of the hotel early and rather late coming back. The purpose of our trip was to visit with friends who live near the city, so we didn't spend a lot of time there except to sleep and shower. And we rarely spend a lot of time in our hotel rooms no matter where we go.

The Pod 39 Hotel is one I will definitely return to for my next stay in New York.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelcheck
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here with a friend (in a bunk pod) while visiting my son who lives in Murray Hill. It was clean, stylish and affordable. Not what I'd normally look for in a vacation spot (no frills), but worked out just fine for a short visit. Very small (think cruise ship cabin). Appreciated the private bath (which wasnt that private - frosted glass door), cool AC, wi-fi, and individual tvs. Thin walls, but I'm a good sleeper! Small market around the corner for a snack (restaurant and bar not open yet), Daniels Bagels terrific for breakfast. Many restaurants in the area. With the savings on the hotel room, I splurged on cabs to get around the city. I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I echo the previous comments on the size of the rooms (small), the quality of the staff (excellent), and the strength of the air conditioning (arctic.) I would also add that the shower was a good size, and there was an endless supply of hot water. With the heat and the humidity in New York this past weekend I took three showers a day. While the TV didn't work, and I couldn't figure out the ipads for guests on the lobby wall (my fault, not the hotel's) the place was running extraordinarily well for a shakedown cruise. If they can keep the level of staffing while also opening the rooftop bar (I heard later this month) and the Great Room then this will be a wonderful, well located property with very small rooms. I had a queen bed room -- I measured it with footsteps and came up with a 10X10 bedroom and a 4X5 bathroom. Very cleverly organized but I expect it would not be appropriate for larger people, or families, or groups that were not on the most intimate of terms -- while sitting on the toilet you are most visible and audible to anyone on the bed. A major plus of my room (806) was a great view of the Empire State Building -- I fell asleep watching the camera flashes on the observation deck.

Room Tip: I would ask for a view of the Empire State building.