“WoW!!! Fabulous service. Well located.”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #203 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Let me start by saying that service with a smile in a hotel in NYC is something that is not always easy to find.

We just came back tonight from a 3-day stay at the Pod 39 hotel. I am writing my review now because it deserves to be posted a.s.a.p.
We arrived at the hotel on July 27th after walking from Port Authority in a temperature averaging 40 C (104F).
We were greeted with a smile by Shanoy who immediately assigned us room 814, on which you will see the pictures with this review. She was extremely nice and also offered to give us the password and code for their free internet service.

We knew having read the other reviews the type of hotel we were checking into. It is a basic but classy type of hotel. It has just opened and there is some fine tuning to do with some of the equipment. It will have state of the art equipment once all the work is finished and the whole team makes sure that everything is looked at in the instant following your request.
Before I go on, the hotel has a lot of rooms with bunkbeds. The rooms are rather small but they have everything you may want, including a safe, a complete separate bathroom (shower, sink and toilet) and the decoration is simple and tasteful. In fact, this is all you need in NYC because no one that I know will go there to spend time in their room. The beds are really confortable and, although they were not working yet, each bed has its own TV. Our room had a window with shutters and a separate control for air conditioning. Since there is no wardrobe there is a place to hang clothes with the same piece of equipment where you can put your suitcase and where the safe is located. It was very well thought. There is also a separate desk and one chair. It has been so well thought that, in the bathroom, the glass door is shaded from about neck height to about 1 foot to the floor.

Now, let me get to the part that amazed me the most, and it was like that with everyone we met there: same service, same attention, same smile.

We had a problem with the phone, we went downstairs to report it, and by the time we were back upstairs, the gentleman knocked at the door. Talk about efficient!!! Mr. Kruz took care of it right away and explained what needed to be done, and there it was: two minutes and the phone was working. He also told us not to hesitate if anything else was needed to let them know.
My partner and I normally don't use the same soap, again it took less than 2 minutes for the room maid to bring are extra set.
We even saw both of these people walking out of the hotel and both asked if we enjoyed ourselves. Now, that really is taking it the extra mile.!!!

The other reception clerks whether morning, evening or night were as polite, smily and helpful. Even the young lady taking care of the tours and information in the lobby has that great attitude. We have seen her saying goodbye to two ladies she had dealings with and it was like they had known and appreciated each other for a long time.

There is only one thing that I would add to the room and that would be a extra shelf to put incidentals because we have found that when the room is occupied by two people, there is little place to put 2 phones, 2 tablets, sunglasses, wallets etc. If an extra shelf would be added above the computer-type desk (at the end of the upper bunkbed) it would be great.
Also, apparently (we heard comments for other guests and clerks at the reception) there will be a top floor terrace opening in the future.

In the area we found a good bagel place on Lexington Av between 39th and 40th. If my memory serves its called Bagel Express. Good food, not too expensive and nice attendants too.

We go to NYC 3 to 5 times a year and we will stay at the Pod 39 again for sure.

Congratulations!!!

I will be back there again the next time we are in NYC

Room Tip: There are room with one double bed. It seems that the majority of rooms are bunkbeds. Should this be...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Montrealeronthemove
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear "Montrealer on the Move",
Thanks for staying with us, your neighbor to the south. Your review has made us go "WoW!!!" All of our staff work hard to make sure that our guests enjoy themselves while in NYC. Thank you for taking the time, especially immediately upon returning home, to share your Pod love. Thank you for going into detail about your stay. Our employees love being acknowledged by name online and potential future guests learn more about our hotel. Next time you return we recommend taking the 7 train from Port Authority Terminal, which lets you off 3 blocks from the hotel at Grand Central Terminal. We hope to see you again soon and show you our rooftop terrace and bar. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you are a person or a a couple I highly recommend it.After spending all the day in new york you don't really care if the room is small or not.Comparing for what you are paying you are getting more than you expect:a renovated room, a clean room,a good guest service especially from the concierge who helped us a lot, and the place is close to Times square...

2  Thank C R

Dear "C R",
Thanks for sharing your Pod love. Our location and price make us one of the best values in NYC. Our concierge team works very hard in getting to know what is available to our guests no matter what your budget is. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and I hope we'll see you again in the future. Thanks for choosing us for your visit to NYC.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Aloha,

My 14 year old daughter and I just relocated to New York from Hawaii on 6-26-12. Prior to our stay at the Pod 39 from 7-7-12 to 7-15-12, we were at another hotel (in the Financial District). I went online and came across the Pod 39 - who had an internet special posted on their website.

I booked the bunk bed room for us. Having just moved here, we have a lot of luggage. Our luggage would have taken up a lot of space in our room...So, the hotel staff upgraded us to a bigger room with a queen bed at no extra cost. For that, I am truly grateful. That was a really unexpected surprise.

It's pretty cool knowing that we were the very first guests at the hotel (which had quite a bit of construction going on). But, that was fine...Life is a great big adventure. And, the going-ons at the hotel will be part of our story of when we first moved to New York.

From the time we stepped out of the cab on 7-7-12, a number of Pod 39 staff helped us with our luggage. Everyone was warm and friendly...We definitely felt the "Aloha spirit" when we checked in and throughout our stay. The location is excellent, so close to Grand Central. The nearby Everyday Gourmet Deli was a great find...We nearly ate there every night for dinner!

A special "mahalo" (which means "thank you" in Hawaiian) to Charlton, the Bellman. When we checked out, he helped us get a private car service for a really good rate. When we got back to the hotel in the afternoon, our luggage was in the car and ready to go (to our next destination in Chelsea).

I will definitely recommend the Pod 39 to my family, friends, and colleagues when they travel to NYC.

Mahalo,
Stephanie and Kianna

Room Tip: Tip: Research online for good hotel rates. It takes time, but you will find what you're looking...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephanie P

Dear Stephanie and Kianna,
Mahalo nui loa. Thanks for being one of our first guests and welcome to New York City as our newest neighbors. We've made even more progress since you've left and we welcome you back to visit and see our newest changes. Our rooftop is coming along and is expected to open in August. We are in the process of programing all of our TVs so that our guests can enjoy 70+ channels in HD with HBO and Showtime. So please stop by and say hello and thanks again.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was extremely impressed with this hotel. Great location (about 3 blocks from Grand Central), very clean, modern furniture, and helpful staff. The rooms are very small, but if you're vacationing how much time do you really spend in your room anyhow. I would recommend only staying here if you are extremely comfortable with the other guests because the bathroom and shower walls are glass and are completely see-through on the top half. Of all the hotels I've stayed in in Manhattan, this has by far been my favorite and I will definitely be staying here again.

3  Thank KR171

Dear Katie,
Thanks for taking a chance on us during our "Sample" period. We are glad that you took advantage of everything our great city has to offer. We prefer that our guests spend their time our in "the city that never sleeps". We do not have a minibar, room service or pay per view in our rooms because we believe that NYC restaurants and theaters do a much better job than we would at feeding and entertaining out guests. Katie, thanks again for staying with us and sharing your Pod love.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've now stayed at the uptown and downtown hotels, and they're both fantastic! The staff is very friendly and helpful and let me keep my bags after checkout until late that night, and the accommodations are first-rate modern, balanced, comfortable and high quality. If you're looking for the "experience" of staying at a full-service (expensive) "glam" hotel in NYC, don't come here, but if you're looking for high value and style for an affordable price you can be confident in The Pod Hotel.

Oh, and the 39th Street location is a better choice for going downtown easily and quickly.

Room Tip: Bunk bed room is a little tight but everything is where you want it to be!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ella J
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear Ella,
Thanks for being a fan of Pod Hotels. Although we are not as "glam" as other hotels in NYC, our extraordinary concierge teams can show you how to have a "glam" experience of NYC no matter what your budget may be. Right now we are offering free walking tours exclusively for our guests. So not only do you get to learn about the greatest city on earth, but you also make connections to other Pod guests and possibly make a new friend or two or twenty. We pride ourselves on being the best value hotels NYC has to offer. Thanks again and we'll keep a lookout for you at both hotels.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Pod Hotel 39 for four nights and loved it. We had a bunk room, which was compact but had everything you would want or need. The beds were extremely comfortable, especially at the end of long days spent walking around the city. The shower was great and everything was clean, modern and designed to make the most of the small space. The frosted glass sliding door to the bathroom means you probably want to be fairly comfortable with the person you're staying with. Wifi was reliable and much appreciated, and there were TVs at the end of both beds. Staff were very friendly and approachable, and the location was great. We loved New York and the Pod Hotel, and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MarciaCurry

Dear Marcia,
Thanks for sharing your Pod love. Its nice when our guests feel as passionately about our Pod as we do. We love our Bunk rooms as well. Regardless of age, our guests seem to have fun in our Bunks, except for the "who gets the top bed" argument that proceeds first entering the room. We're even happier that you and your husband enjoyed NYC to its fullest. Our location makes it very easy to walk or take the subway anywhere in NYC. We'll save another Bunk for you when you both decide to return to NYC.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the past weekend. It's difficult to effectively review this hotel as they are still under quasi-construction as they opened a few weeks ago. Easier if I break down pros/cons.

**Pros**
Cozy little room. I do mean little, but you're not supposed to be in your room all day!
Friendly staff
Free Wifi
CLEAN! Very important. I know this place is new, but I hope they maintain their cleanliness.

**Cons**
TV was not working. Still working with cable company I believe.
No iron or ironing board in room
No hair dryer in room

The cons may not be totally fair at this time as they are still working on getting these items together. But just a fair heads up if anyone goes over the next few days. They did provide me with a iron and hair dryer which was nice. The staff was definitely pleasant and very friendly. I do hope after July's promotion of $85 a night, they get all these kinks worked out. Otherwise it was a pleasant experience to stay here. Great hotel on a budget if you're just looking for a place to crash over night or two. Def wouldn't recommend staying here for a week for example unless you're traveling solo and don't mind smaller rooms.

Looking forward to come back here and give it a more complete review. But for now, I give it thumbs up and definitely recommend it!

3  Thank EastCoastReflux

Dear "EastCoastReflux",
I believe your honest review does accurately represent our hotel at this time. Your "cons" are all valid. Our iron and ironing boards will not be in our rooms, but available on request. Our rooms are small and we didn't want them feeling cluttered. Our hair dryers are on order and we are expecting them soon. As I compose this response, I have been informed that we have very limited TV service now. It will take us approx a week to get the bugs worked out of that system. As the days pass, more and more amenities should come online. It is an exciting time to stay with us. Thanks for your feedback.