“Two Times Great!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #200 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've now stayed at the uptown and downtown hotels, and they're both fantastic! The staff is very friendly and helpful and let me keep my bags after checkout until late that night, and the accommodations are first-rate modern, balanced, comfortable and high quality. If you're looking for the "experience" of staying at a full-service (expensive) "glam" hotel in NYC, don't come here, but if you're looking for high value and style for an affordable price you can be confident in The Pod Hotel.

Oh, and the 39th Street location is a better choice for going downtown easily and quickly.

Room Tip: Bunk bed room is a little tight but everything is where you want it to be!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ella J
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear Ella,
Thanks for being a fan of Pod Hotels. Although we are not as "glam" as other hotels in NYC, our extraordinary concierge teams can show you how to have a "glam" experience of NYC no matter what your budget may be. Right now we are offering free walking tours exclusively for our guests. So not only do you get to learn about the greatest city on earth, but you also make connections to other Pod guests and possibly make a new friend or two or twenty. We pride ourselves on being the best value hotels NYC has to offer. Thanks again and we'll keep a lookout for you at both hotels.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Pod Hotel 39 for four nights and loved it. We had a bunk room, which was compact but had everything you would want or need. The beds were extremely comfortable, especially at the end of long days spent walking around the city. The shower was great and everything was clean, modern and designed to make the most of the small space. The frosted glass sliding door to the bathroom means you probably want to be fairly comfortable with the person you're staying with. Wifi was reliable and much appreciated, and there were TVs at the end of both beds. Staff were very friendly and approachable, and the location was great. We loved New York and the Pod Hotel, and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MarciaCurry

Dear Marcia,
Thanks for sharing your Pod love. Its nice when our guests feel as passionately about our Pod as we do. We love our Bunk rooms as well. Regardless of age, our guests seem to have fun in our Bunks, except for the "who gets the top bed" argument that proceeds first entering the room. We're even happier that you and your husband enjoyed NYC to its fullest. Our location makes it very easy to walk or take the subway anywhere in NYC. We'll save another Bunk for you when you both decide to return to NYC.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the past weekend. It's difficult to effectively review this hotel as they are still under quasi-construction as they opened a few weeks ago. Easier if I break down pros/cons.

**Pros**
Cozy little room. I do mean little, but you're not supposed to be in your room all day!
Friendly staff
Free Wifi
CLEAN! Very important. I know this place is new, but I hope they maintain their cleanliness.

**Cons**
TV was not working. Still working with cable company I believe.
No iron or ironing board in room
No hair dryer in room

The cons may not be totally fair at this time as they are still working on getting these items together. But just a fair heads up if anyone goes over the next few days. They did provide me with a iron and hair dryer which was nice. The staff was definitely pleasant and very friendly. I do hope after July's promotion of $85 a night, they get all these kinks worked out. Otherwise it was a pleasant experience to stay here. Great hotel on a budget if you're just looking for a place to crash over night or two. Def wouldn't recommend staying here for a week for example unless you're traveling solo and don't mind smaller rooms.

Looking forward to come back here and give it a more complete review. But for now, I give it thumbs up and definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EastCoastReflux

Dear "EastCoastReflux",
I believe your honest review does accurately represent our hotel at this time. Your "cons" are all valid. Our iron and ironing boards will not be in our rooms, but available on request. Our rooms are small and we didn't want them feeling cluttered. Our hair dryers are on order and we are expecting them soon. As I compose this response, I have been informed that we have very limited TV service now. It will take us approx a week to get the bugs worked out of that system. As the days pass, more and more amenities should come online. It is an exciting time to stay with us. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This review only gives a 4 star because of the ongoing building work. The hotel is not yet complete but that doesn't really detract from the quality of The Pod.

Firstly, location couldn't be better, most hings are within walking distance if you are fit and want to explore, if not, taxis and public transport are easy to access. The building work at the hotel was clearly advertised in advance and the low rate reflected that.nthe only affect for me was that the TV wasn't working.

I booked a queen pod for 3 nights, it was clean, well designed, very new and ideal. The bed was very comfortable indeed. The room was small but that was expected I only needed somewhere to sleep.

The building is being well renovated and it will be great when all complete. The 17th floor roof terrace and bar will be one of the areas great secrets when complete, I can't wait to return to use it.it is open air with great rooftop views including the Empire State Building.

The reception staff get a special mention, they are friendly, helpful and efficient

I can't fault the Pod 39 hotel and recommend it.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ChrisintheBahamas

Dear Chris,
We will happily accept your four star review. We understand that until we are fully completed that we may not get perfect reviews. We are close to having cable TV completed in the building. Also the rooftop bar/lounge is coming along nicely and we're expecting to have that up for our guests and neighborhood in August. We've added furniture in the lobby to give our guests somewhere comfortable to relax as well. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My daughter and I came to New York for a week and found this hotel very fitting for our purpose there. Though small, (which we were expecting) it was brand new, modern and very clean. Our room had one queen bed, a desk and chair, a bathroom, and a flat screen TV. The beds were super comfy and the rain head shower was wonderful. The A/c in the room was super after a long hot day in the city. We were on the second floor and we barley hear any city noise at all, which was a pleasant surprise. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. It is also in an excellent location, only 3 blocks from grand central and walking distance to many other NYC attractions. We really enjoyed our stay in the Pod 39 Hotel, and would highly recommend it to a couple or business traveler.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
15  Thank Tracy K
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear "Tracy K & daughter",
I believe most of our guest will appreciate our individually controlled A/C units in each room especially during this record breaking heat wave. Thank you for pointing out that although we're only a few blocks from Grand Central Terminal and most NYC attractions, we're on a quiet residential block. We hope you to see you both again soon once we are fully open. Again, thanks for choosing us.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Now, let’s get the space issue out of the way. Yes, the room is small, if not downright tiny. But I don’t spend much time in my room when I’m in New York and feel that most otheos. I was in NY by myself to attend a wedding and it met my needs.

What little room there exists is well designed though. I also had the fortune of r people are the same way. Hopefully you can get a sense of the scale of the room thru my photbooking a queen room during their soft opening the weekend of July 7. I had about 2-3 feet on each side of the queen and a little more at the foot of the bed. There is a small desk with a chair, small flat screen TV (24” maybe?), a safe, and a place to hang a few items. The TV has no remote and didn’t work at the time. Some of the buttons (like the one to the front desk) on the phone don't work either, but I’m sure these issues will be resolved shortly since it is a soft opening. There is also free Wi-Fi. Under the bed, there is a spot to store your luggage.

The bathroom is also small, but meets your needs with a rain shower, small sink, and toilet with a sliding glass door to separate you from the sleeping area. A nice touch to the vanity ledge is that the corner next to the shower was cut out so you wouldn’t bump into it. Someone was thinking.

One thing I definitely like about the room was the air conditioning worked great. It was 100 degrees outside, so it was quite a relief to come back to a cool oasis that I could set to 55 degrees if I wanted. The room was also well-lit, which I appreciate since I hate poorly lit rooms.
I had a view of the Empire State Building out of my window (which actually opens). The neighborhood is the Murray Hill area, so quiet and residential for the most part. You are right down the street from the UN (and many of the consulates) and a few blocks from Grand Central Station so getting anywhere is pretty convenient. It is close to many tourist attractions without feeling like you are in the zoo that is Times Square.

The entrance was still being worked on when I stayed, so I had to enter thru a construction area that I think will become the hotel restaurant. I also asked to borrow an iron, but they didn’t have one yet. Luckily there are two dry cleaners right around the corner. There is parking a few doors down the same block, but it isn’t 24 hours. If you need to park late, there is another lot on the other side of 3rd street.

The staff was very friendly and helpful with requests. Overall, it is a great place to make as a base and save a few bucks for a great dinner instead.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
15  Thank alwong2000
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear "alwong2000",
I think you hit on exactly what we've worked hard to create. A small, but very well thought out space that's functional. We want our guests to save money by staying with us and enjoy everything our great city has to offer. Our hair dryers, irons and ironing boards are on their way and expected very shortly. We also now have an agreement with a local garage, that's open 24 hours a day, for valet parking and discounted self-parking. Thank you for your honest feedback and we hope to see you again once we're operating at 100%.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Some might say it's inappropriate to write a review of a hotel before the facility is even fully complete. But in the case of Pod 39 I think that would be a mistake. Why? Because even with the plastic sheeting on the carpets, the temporary construction-type entrance to the hotel, and the protective drapes in the elevator this establishment is impressive.

My 17 year old daughter and I arrived late in the morning after spending the preceding night crossing the continent. We knew Pod 39 had been open for all of three days but we didn't really know what we were going to find. However, that bit of uncertainty is what can make travel so interesting.

That being said, the reality was that we were exhausted when we finally made it to the front counter. It should be noted that we had already been greeted by two staff members before even getting to that point, which was greatly appreciated. The hotel entrance definitely had a "work in progress" look to it which didn't deter at all, especially given the pleasant lobby just beyond. The staff behind the counter were very helpful and engaged with our arrival, and accommodated our request for an early check-in with aplomb. We were given the key card to our room and off we went.

The first thing that struck us were that there seemed to a lot more doors in the hallway than might be the case in a more traditional hotel. Not surprising, given the concept in play at Pod hotels. The room was easily accessed with the card, and I noted that the lock wasn't the type that required insertion of the card: a swipe sufficed. A small thing perhaps, but a nice touch.

Both my daughter and I were looking forward to seeing our bunk room, and frankly it exceeded our expectations. It is small, there is no doubt. Imagine if you will a rectangle about 18' long by say 7' wide. The door is on that short side. The bunks are placed on the long axis (hardly surprising) along one wall and there is a small walkway that allows access to one side of the bunks. At the head of each bunk is an upholstered bolster that allows the occupant to sit up and watch the television(s), one of which is mounted at the foot of each bed. At the near end of the bunks is a small desk, beside which is a control panel that allows video and audio to be delivered to the small TVs. To the right of the door is small coat rack that also contains a digital safe.

The bathroom forms a separate space, such that it forms (at least in our room) a parallel rectangle that's neither as wide or as long as the main room area. The bathroom is divided from the main area by frosted sliding glass doors that move on hanging rollers. The sink is small but perfectly adequate. The shower is large, and has a faucet that projects straight down from the ceiling, as opposed to the wall. Note that in Pod 39 (apparently unlike Pod 51) all rooms have private bathrooms. I'll also note that the air conditioning has been very effective on this hot summer day. The temperature can be set as desired via a digital thermostat. Another nice touch, especially given the small space, is the use of dimmer switches for the lighting. This means one person can be doing something without necessarily blinding a fellow traveler who's sleeping.

From what I've been able to learn, the driving idea behind the Pod concept has been to provide quality accomodations in a minimal space. It is true that there is almost no storage space in the room, and besides the desk chair and the bunks there is no seating other than the floor. But that's why it doesn't cost as much as a traditional room! It's small, squeaky clean, with tight crisp design elements that are really neat. We are thrilled with our decision to stay here, and most definitely will do so again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
18  Thank Wopmay
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Greetings "Wopmay",
All of the staff at The Pod 39 Hotel are thrilled that you are our first review since opening. We greatly appreciate your fair and flattering comments. All of us are working around the clock to place the final touches and we look forward to having you back when we're complete. Thanks again for taking a chance and choosing us.