“Best Food Cart in NYC”

Biryani Cart
Ranked #3,277 of 16,280 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Biryani & kati rolls draw crowds to this no-frills trailer serving takeout halal Indian entrees. The real Indian biryani & Kati rolls since 2005. Winner of Vandy Award Winner (2008-2009) & People's Choice Award. Established in 2005. Best biryani and Kati rolls in NYC. We are the original and only Biryani Cart next to Europa Cafe. Please do not be confused by other copycats.
Reviewed June 27, 2016

OK this looks like just another food cart in downtown NYC. The first thing you will notice is the line of people ordering. New Yorker's go out of there way to eat here. We had Kati's rolls that were just super. This is just down from Radio Music and Rockefeller Square. There are plenty of plaza areas where you can sit on a short wall and enjoy this Great Food. And the price is right.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank 759frankp

Reviewed June 25, 2016

Was wandering around NYC, looking for something interesting for lunch, refusing to eat the ubiquitous streetcar hotdogs my son and wife chose - and even skipped the ice cream treats they had in the middle of central park, knowing I was destined for something better.

Walked down 5th Ave a ways, sat down in the shade, and checked Google maps to see what was near me. Not 40 yards away was the Biryani cart. Most reviews were pretty positive, and I'm a sucker for good Indian food, so gave it a shot.

Ordered the Chennai Kati Rolls (they come two per order). They were only $6, so I figured I needed to order something else (I eat a lot), so I also ordered the combo kabob for another $6. Add a bottle of water and I'm all set for $13. The guy making it was super nice, so I dropped the $2 in change into the tip jar, and strolled back to my hotel to feast.

I've never had Kati rolls before, so had no idea what to expect. I suppose it's not unreasonable to think of them as India's answer to the gyro. Whatever you call them, they were phenomenal. Just the right amount of spice and heat. Just excellent. The two of them would absolutely be a good sized meal for most people. However, after eating the first one, I moved on to the kabob.

Now, I'm a bit confused, as this "kabob" was not the chunks of meat and vegetables on a skewer that I've so often over-cooked to oblivion on the grill. Here's what this is: put a healthy bed of rice in a 6: dish, add a layer of lettuce maybe some onion), and then spread over that a good sized portion of small, marinated chunks of chicken meat with some pieces of onion and spices. Squirt a couple kinds of sauce over the top, add a dusting of dry spices from a shaker, and you have a good size dish of flavorful awesomeness. It was damn good. I finished that off (I don't eat much rice, so left most of that - though it was excellent, too), and then finished off the second Kati roll. Burp.

All in all, a great experience. I'd order the same thing again. In fact, one of the reasons I'm writing this review is so that I can easily find this place next time I'm in town!

Hope you have a great experience, too.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank AndyBzn
Reviewed June 2, 2016

We tried the Veg Biryani and the chicken Biryani, and both were very good, made with fresh ingredients. Portions are very large, and one would have been plenty for the two of us, even after walking all the way down from 83rd Street. For fun grab an entrée or two and eat at a table in the middle of Times Square!

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 17, 2016

This is a wopnderful little food truck serving some of the best street food I've ever had. I've tasted literally everything on the menu and it all brings out a "wow, that's good". I work around here and this is one of the first food trucks I'll bring new hires too. It's that good.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed May 15, 2016

Tried this yummy cart as suggested by tripadvisor reviewers and for sure, they didn't disappoint. Every mouthful was heaven to my tastebuds and the price was just right. The servings were huge too.

Date of visit: April 2016