“BEWARE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 74 New York City B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“BEWARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

LADIES TRAVELING ALONE BEWARE THIS PLACE HAS NO FRONT DESK. They say it is perfectly safe but with the location and assaults happening around the city, I did NOT feel safe. The code to get into the main door is displayed in the lobby for anyone to see. NOT SAFE.

The room was dirty, THE BED HAD A SINK HOLE and lastly the air conditioning was noisy.

When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that he was in a meeting and I NEVER GOT A CALL BACK. The lady at the front was not helpful at all.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST....IT'S A WALK UP AND I WAS ON THE FOURTH FLOOR. I had just had a baby and had to get my lugguge up the stairs alone....again no staff.

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY MONEY TO STAY HERE?!!! I decided to cut my losses and went to another hotel...I WAS NOT REFUNDED MY MONEY....AGAIN, THE MANAGER DIDN'T SEE THE NEED TO CALL ME BACK.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the 1st or 2nd floor otherwise you are getting a workout in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Athens3030

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

During a recent trip to New York, my first in 15 years, I wanted to stay near the old neighbourhood I lived in back in the 70's down on East 4th between 1st & 2nd. Well I found the perfect hotel situated on the corner of East 9th and 1st Avenue called the East Village Hotel. It was perfect, my room was at the top left corner and afforded a fabulous view over the neighbourhood and I loved opening the windows and taking in all that East Village ambience.

Check out my New York Fire Escape panorama taken from the fire escape outside my window http://bit.ly/1bhahg3

Before and during my stay I had to make two changes both extending my stay, Denise, who was manning reception while I stayed there made sure the changes went through without a hitch and was always on hand to help me.

The room was great and the bed big and comfy. It was very hot during my stay but the aircon kept the room cool. There's a small kitchenette and a bathroom with shower. The only thing I would have liked would have been a small table to work on rather than the thin shelf under the TV.

But for a true East Village experience you can't go past it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TonyRedhead
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went to check in within an hour of check in time and was told they were fully booked. I asked what happened to my reservation and was basically told they got a 5 night rental and so weren't honoring my one night reservation. They told me they'd 'upgrade' me to another room in the Flatiron district but all of my appointments were within walking distance of this hotel - that was why I chose it. The employee who worked with me was not helpful, nor apologetic. I used HotelsTonight to find another room at the Thompson a half mile away but the whole experience was extremely disappointing.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Dana M

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Angleton, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to stay close to my daughter's apartment. This was a 2 minute walk on a wonderful street close to lots of great restaurants. The hotel is small and a perfect spot if you want to be in the village. They don't have a lobby. You let yourself in with a key code at the front door and a key code to your room. The A/C serves to drown out street noise. My room was nicely appointed and has a small kitchen. Everything except the building itself is new. It's quaint and a perfect place to land for a break during the day or for a good night's sleep.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank verypicky57
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

There is a perfect boutique hotel on !st Ave called East Village Hotel. It is very clean, quiet, and reasonably priced. There is a very nice kitchenette, oversized shower and comfy bed. Everything I had hoped for and more. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is no lobby, just a small desk with an attendant who is most helpful. Check out the rooms onli...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynne K
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Had a reservation made well in advance through Book It but had read so many reviews about their unattended check in, I wrote expressing my concerns (and a friend had already changed her reservation). They assured me that someone was in attendance all day and the glitches had been only during their 'soft start-up'. We arrived to find someone in attendance but they had NO RECORD OF OUR RESERVATION - our worst nightmare. Still, they had a room and the rest was smooth. The room was larger than most NYC hotel rooms with a full-sized kitchen fully outfitted. The only drawbacks were that the only flat surface for writing or eating was a bar-stool height cubby but the chairs were table height - totally unusable; the other was in the gorgeous bathroom - the floor and lovely shower/tub lined in marble tile. The tile on the floor looked different - mottled somehow - so I wiped the floor with a wet towel AND IT WAS VISIBLY FILTHY. Still, if I were going to be in NYC for a number of days or a week, this is a decent hotel in a nice neighborhood and the ability to cook and not eat out at every meal is a plus.

Room Tip: Get a room facing 9th Street rather than First Ave.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank doclmd
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

When we come to New York, we usually stay in the Upper West Side. We stayed here this time because family was also in the city and they were staying here. I couldn't get over the cost of this hotel.. so affordable for the city. The rooms are quite cute... love the hardwood floors! The walls are quite thin, but it wasn't a distraction or an annoyance for us. We always sleep with a fan running, so it drowned out some of the noise. Really the noise wasn't all that different from when I lived in an apartment building, if you are used to that kind of noise, any noise in the building probably won't bother you. I didn't notice, even when the fan was off noise from the street as being a bother either. There was someone working the desk when we arrived in late afternoon who checked us in. She was also there on Saturday. So, I wouldn't worry about the check-in. It is a walk-up, so if stairs are a problem for you, this would not be the place for you. Loved that The Bean was right downstairs for coffee and a quick breakfast in the morning. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family